User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
oldhippie1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Honda XR650L as a street bike.

I'd like to ask all you 650L guys a question. I like thumpers and my dealer has a new 2012 XR650L for $6150 out the door. He'd swap the tires for street ones. How would this bike be for street rideing with a possible occassional ride down a firm dirt trail like if I happened to be passing thru Colorado. I like the simplicity of the bike and figure its damn near indestructable. I might want to cruise all day at 65 mph. How would it do? Thanks
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I'd like to ask all you 650L guys a question. I like thumpers and my dealer has a new 2012 XR650L for $6150 out the door. He'd swap the tires for street ones. How would this bike be for street rideing with a possible occassional ride down a firm dirt trail like if I happened to be passing thru Colorado. I like the simplicity of the bike and figure its damn near indestructable. I might want to cruise all day at 65 mph. How would it do? Thanks
You'll probably get about 1000 replies to this, but let me be the first - if most of your riding will be street riding and you want an inexpensive thumper, then look at a Suzuki DR650SE or a Kawasaki KLR650. I currently own a 2009 XR650L that I've "tinkered with" a bit, and I love it for Kentucky's unpaved roads and National Forest Service roads. Years ago I owned a DR650SE that I rode across country - it was a bit more street-able, heavier than the XR and not as dirt-worthy, but it was as reliable as a claw hammer. Many of my friends ride KLRs, swear by their reliability after making a few obligatory fixes, and even do some outrageous off-road stuff that the big heavy KLR ought not to be able to do.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
oldhippie1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
No Suzuki or Kawasaki

I just like the Honda 650L best.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
yea the 650l would do fine for street, the only thing i would do is rejet it and put a oil cooler on it if you are going to run it at long street rides. they run pretty hot when stock on long freeway rides in the hot weather.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Kinda like this -

But then you'l gear it down, replace the tank and seat, put the disk from an Africa Twin on it to get better braking, mount a Michelin knobby on the rear, change out the bars and mirrors and start looking for mud holes to play in.

You've been warned... don't buy it. No good will come of it.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 06:32 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Lex is right......don't buy ONE................
Mine
stay tuned here... gonna put 17"s on .
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Like already said, the L will be a decent 80% street / 20% dirt bike. You could do better, but if you are set on an XR it will be fine with a few upgrades. OR search Craigslist for a used one already modded. Just hide your credit cardsYou will find a TON of mods/upgrades to make it fit your riding style! Heck you can even make a Classic kick start only 1988 XR600 road worthy like I did, logging over 7,000 miles THIS SUMMER alone!
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
yea the 650l would do fine for street, the only thing i would do is rejet it and put a oil cooler on it if you are going to run it at long street rides. they run pretty hot when stock on long freeway rides in the hot weather.
All kidding aside go to the "XRL Owners Sign In" thread for a pretty realistic view of what these bikes can do and can be made to do. Pay particular attention to Kubiak's posts... you'll either be inspired or you'll quit bikes entirely because of how high he's set the bar.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Bluffskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Here is mine when I got it.

Looks the same now, but I have an FCR MX. Instant throttle response, 100+ mph, oh yea NO CV LAG!! woot woot!
I will not be doing any other performance mods... The FCR is that good. The instant response is great. Can't say enough about it.

Now I run GP-1 tires, Tusk bark busters, skid plate, XR400 oil cooler, and that's about it. I had the Clark tank on, but going back to the cycle trails this month and they are some fun tough trails.

If you plan on doing dirt bike type stuff like jumping, or getting off the ground somewhat, dropping your bike, riding though brush, mud, creeks, and big spiders, then the XRL is your ticket. But if you plan on just hitting the occasional dirt road or staying in places accessible by vehicles then maybe an ADV bike would be better. I ride 99% roads in flat, nowhere to ride off road, fat ass lazy South South Texas, but I do get to ride off road sometimes and I want the capability. I had a Tiger for about 5 years, but I feel better on an XRL, way better. I feel about the same on my XRL after 200 miles in the saddle as I did on my Tiger after a Saddle Sore 1000. But the XRL is a fun bike.
Bluffskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
All kidding aside go to the "XRL Owners Sign In" thread for a pretty realistic view of what these bikes can do and can be made to do. Pay particular attention to Kubiak's posts... you'll either be inspired or you'll quit bikes entirely because of how high he's set the bar.
awww shucks thanks LexLeroy!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,536
you'll need a bigger tank.
keep it stock if you want any range/ mpg out of it.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,410
Nope. Don't get one.

Get two...

Mine and my daughters.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post

They do the job just fine. They need a bigger tank. The bigger the better in my opinion. An oil cooler or big fin head is a good idea, to keep engine temps under control when running at 65 all day long. But most important Check your oil often. I recommend every 500 miles. Street tire should last a little longer. I've gotten 10 to 12K out of the street tires I've run (Dunlop K491 and Cont Tour), The Dunlop is no longer made.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote