Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
papalobster OP
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,137
Thumb operated rear brake.

I've searched the net to no avail.

I have a Revloc clutch in my 300 EXC. I love it. I had a Rekluse in my previous 450 EXC, awesome! I had that set up with a left hand rear brake instead of the clutch lever and really liked teh set up.

With the smoker, I'd like to keep the clutch lever for adding some clutch slip in less than stellartraction situations, but would like a thumb operated rear brake to help initiate slides, holding on a hill, and other misadventures.

Has anyone come across either an affordable thumb brake option, or a home made job? I know Spiegler made one for superbikes, but I'm not gonna spend $600 for a doo dad for a $1000 dirt bike.
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I've searched the net to no avail.

I have a Revloc clutch in my 300 EXC. I love it. I had a Rekluse in my previous 450 EXC, awesome! I had that set up with a left hand rear brake instead of the clutch lever and really liked teh set up.

With the smoker, I'd like to keep the clutch lever for adding some clutch slip in less than stellartraction situations, but would like a thumb operated rear brake to help initiate slides, holding on a hill, and other misadventures.

Has anyone come across either an affordable thumb brake option, or a home made job? I know Spiegler made one for superbikes, but I'm not gonna spend $600 for a doo dad for a $1000 dirt bike.
Any sled stuff work? Old Poolaris comes to mind..
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
pretty sure one of the Colorado inmates PM shearboy, if my memory is correct he tried one and couldnt get it to provide enough braking power

http://www.gptechllc.com/products/gp-tech/thumbrakes

mpatch screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 07:38 PM
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
papalobster OP
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,137
I saw the GP tech thing and am thinking along those lines, but I don't need the gold palted platinum version. It's almost $500!

I don't need a lot of braking power for the back, it's going to work in conjunction with the foot pedal, not in place of.

Sleds use a left hand lever too. I don't want 2 full size levers in front though, that's why I want a thumb activated thing.
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
could you rig something using a decomp lever?

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 161
It seems to me that one of the GP racers...Mick Doohan perhaps?....switched to a thumb brake when he buggered-up his right foot in a crash.

Then as he got used to it, he kept it on all his bikes.

Somebody did anyway. You might see if you can find anything tied to him or Honda Racing on the subject.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 453
Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Mh2ezYmkjSo

or this:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=782942&page=7
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,884
Rekluse has an adapted Mt Bike brake master they hook to the rear brake master or directly to the rear caliper. It's tiny and not much money. Not DOT.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,677
i remember a guy who fabbed one up using a hot start lever:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/861...Bhand+%2Bbrake
Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Rekluse has an adapted Mt Bike brake master they hook to the rear brake master or directly to the rear caliper. It's tiny and not much money. Not DOT.
Errr
With two mater cylinders on a hydraulic system .. it won't work too well as each master cylinder has a bleed hole. So you'd need to remove the original ... or

Have a cable (bowden cable) from the hand leaver to the foot pedal, the hand lever will operate the foot leaver that operates the master cylinder... You can set the travel/forces by setting where the cable pulls on the rear leaver. All to do with leverage, pivot points.

The MTB bike brake leavers tend to be small, an advantage for your application, and cheap say $30. You'll need to figure out how to connect it mechanically to the foot pedal. I like this idea as you will still have the original system in place and any failure of the new bits will not fail the original.The MTB bike brake leavers tend to be small, an advantage for your application.

Good luck.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Errr
With two mater cylinders on a hydraulic system .. it won't work too well as each master cylinder has a bleed hole. So you'd need to remove the original ... or

Have a cable (bowden cable) from the hand leaver to the foot pedal, the hand lever will operate the foot leaver that operates the master cylinder... You can set the travel/forces by setting where the cable pulls on the rear leaver. All to do with leverage, pivot points.

The MTB bike brake leavers tend to be small, an advantage for your application, and cheap say $30. You'll need to figure out how to connect it mechanically to the foot pedal. I like this idea as you will still have the original system in place and any failure of the new bits will not fail the original.The MTB bike brake leavers tend to be small, an advantage for your application.

Good luck.
thats not correct with the systems that keep the pedal there is a one way valve that prevents backfeeding the oposite master cylinder, it's a ball check valve of sorts I think
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,884
No check valve. Rekluse has an adapter for KTM's that forces fluid through the bleed hole in the foot master. So, the hand brake now has the resevour and both brakes work independantly.

When you use the hand brake, it tries to force the foot master piston out, but the snap ring holds it.

The bicycle master is very small. You can put it above the clutch lever or below. Or, spin it and use your thumb.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,935
KISS. My thoughts

If the handle bar has the master cylinder then the foot pedal cannot have a effective resevour (think about the height difference). Meaning your present foot pedal master cylinder would need replacement or have careful modification.

Leaving the present reliable system intact would be best (and cheaper).

The easiest, simple, fail safe additional handle bar system is a cable based system. Fiddly on the bottom pedal. But still easier than mucking around with your original master cylinder. And much easier to adjust the leverage ratios.

Warin screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 11:38 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
My plan that I never finished was to use a hydro MTB for the clutch on my Gasser since the clutch pull is so light with the Rekluse and continue using the LBRB.
99 KTM 640e
HydroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
KISS. My thoughts

If the handle bar has the master cylinder then the foot pedal cannot have a effective resevour (think about the height difference). Meaning your present foot pedal master cylinder would need replacement or have careful modification.

Leaving the present reliable system intact would be best (and cheaper).

The easiest, simple, fail safe additional handle bar system is a cable based system. Fiddly on the bottom pedal. But still easier than mucking around with your original master cylinder. And much easier to adjust the leverage ratios.
I bought a Revlok cable actuated rear brake setup (with second lever) when they came out in late 2002. They didn't sell very many of them as it just didn't work well. The rekluse system (on my 530) that uses the clutch m/c connected to the rear m/c is MUCH better.
wsmc831 is online now   Reply With Quote