Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #76
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
But can you do it now you've got the new shock?

Oh hell yes, but can do it going quite a bit faster now. Its lovely.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #77
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
I reckon one thing that gets overlooked with the DB preparation is the distance training. 2x 12 hour days in the saddle is hard work mentally & physically esp if you had a hard trip down to fairlie. i find the old concentration suffers a bit after a few hours. Gonna be more prepared with lil snacks although I never really get that hungry riding.

Can we hire someone to open & shut the gates this year? I reckon 5 bucks each & there'll be enough uni students wanting to sit in the sun all day drinking beer on gate duty
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #78
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I reckon one thing that gets overlooked with the DB preparation is the distance training. 2x 12 hour days in the saddle is hard work mentally & physically esp if you had a hard trip down to fairlie. i find the old concentration suffers a bit after a few hours. Gonna be more prepared with lil snacks although I never really get that hungry riding.

Can we hire someone to open & shut the gates this year? I reckon 5 bucks each & there'll be enough uni students wanting to sit in the sun all day drinking beer on gate duty
I have no idea how I'll cope with those distances. I will have one rest day, before the race, I mean the ride,. Looking at it now, I think I might not do any of the challenges. Resting regularly is what I'll do, even if this means stringing out the ride a bit more. I found the fuel stop chart, but as much as I looked, I could not find the Latte stops, surely this was an oversight by the organiser?

Padmei, I'd be happy to open the gates for you, at five bucks a pop.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #79
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Don't worry, the sleet, snow, howling wind and sub zero temps will take your mind off the previous days baking heat...

It's a doddle really. Just think of it as five 200km adventure rides stacked end on end on end on end on end, over two days.

Then you've got to ride home...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #80
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 887
Padmei is right and its something I am getting a tad worried about cos for some reason lately my energy levels are not that good. Possibly Wifeys new shift work hours.

Anyway

Keepin the snacks and water up is a very good idea because becoming dehydrated and hungry can make things go pear shaped very quickly. On the 2nd DB on the second day I left at about 7 without having brekkie , and that was after bugger all tea the night before. JC buggered off to Lawrence to get gas and because I have a big tank, chose to ride on my own. Ran out of water about lunchtime, drowned my bike not long after and spent 2 hours in the hot sun getting it going with help, then assed off heavily at Serpentine due to concentration loss, then ran off the road twice due to the same reason, also messed a few guys DBs up because of my bad planning which is the worst part. Didn't get food till about 5.30pm. Got to Fairlie just before midnight.

Lesson learned
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #81
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
I reckon one thing that gets overlooked with the DB preparation is the distance training. 2x 12 hour days in the saddle is hard work mentally & physically esp if you had a hard trip down to fairlie.......
Your not wrong but this is the bit that appeals to me. You can be a hero for your mates by doing a half hour moto with the biggest wipps (or whatever the lingo is) it if you want to do something where you only really have yourself to battle, then try riding for 12-15 hours a day. Better still I reckon a Dakar is more about the rider being able to keep their head in the right space as much as the bike and their riding skills.

FYI second para on the rider prep page
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB1k Rider Preparation Page
The Shoei DB1k event consists of a 1000 km sealed, gravel road and off road route. It will take you on a journey through remote sections of the South Island offering absolutely spectacular scenery, however it is important to keep in mind this is no dawdle in the park, nor even a typical trail or road ride. Riders must endure a 1000 km route that is physically and mentally draining and will require between 10 and 15 hours of riding a day depending on your riding skill. The Shoei DB1k is not intended for the faint hearted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I have no idea how I'll cope with those distances. .....Resting regularly is what I'll do, even if this means stringing out the ride a bit more. I found the fuel stop chart, but as much as I looked, I could not find the Latte stops, surely this was an oversight by the organiser?.....
Each to their own but hare and tortoise come to mind. Fast pace with many stops is less efficient I reckon than more regular pace with minimal stops. The route has been designed so that you might have a bit of nice crusy gravel/seal, then a tricky/challenge bit, bit more gravel, etc etc. Means you get a rest after each tricky bit so don't chuck out the anchor just cause your a little knackered, go into cruse mode when you get to the next nice bit of gravel or seal. Then again as a Norfie you might be a little distracted by the scenery and want to stop for a pic or two There are three spots with primo views of Mt Cook along the route (assuming the weather plays the game).

Re latte - I don't drink coffee at all so sorry your on your own there. I can't help even if I wanted too.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #82
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
....drowned my bike not long after and spent 2 hours in the hot sun getting it going with help, ....
excuses excuses. We really know you were just trying out the KLR water wings.

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #83
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
Re latte - I don't drink coffee at all so sorry your on your own there. I can't help even if I wanted too.

Cheers R
That's all we drink north of the Bombay hills.....

Don't worry, I'll be all right. Coffee is not a good idea on a ride like this, anyway. Plain water is the way to go and having some Musli bars handy is not wrong either. From my experience, it's better to stop before I am completely stuffed. A couple of minutes of walking around is all I need,

If started riding my mountain bike to get my fitness up again, that's better than going for long rides on the GS.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #84
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
Good stuff Ryan. On the KB thread it seemed fuel containers, luggage etc were the main concerns. It was my exprience the other day where I was a bit knackered & started to let the bike drive me rather than me drive the bike that got me thinking about the DB.

Don't worry koko you'll be hanging out for coffees - & when you get them they'll taste gooood...
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #85
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
Good stuff Ryan. On the KB thread it seemed fuel containers, luggage etc were the main concerns. It was my exprience the other day where I was a bit knackered & started to let the bike drive me rather than me drive the bike that got me thinking about the DB.

Don't worry koko you'll be hanging out for coffees - & when you get them they'll taste gooood...
Take ya thermet and have a brew up!

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #86
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Still looking for a bike to rent for the ride. If anyone has a spare they wouldn't mind renting out, let me know. Looking for a 250-400cc.

-Josh
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #87
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Still looking for a bike to rent for the ride. If anyone has a spare they wouldn't mind renting out, let me know. Looking for a 250-400cc.

-Josh
Yamaha TTR250 1998

Racing Dave is doing it on a NXR125, so maybe you can get one of those cheaper.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #88
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
The "excluded" on road cost is kind of a deal breaker. Hoping I could find something with it included, so I can show up and buy. Then sell in a month when I am leaving. There are a couple on TradeMe that I have my eye on. Just scared to do the deal without seeing and riding it first.

-Josh
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #89
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
There are a couple on TradeMe that I have my eye on. Just scared to do the deal without seeing and riding it first.

-Josh
Post up on here or on kiwibiker if you want someone to go have a look at a bike for you. I certainly don't mind checking over a bike for you if you find something near me that looks good.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #90
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Currently I am riding my mtb every evening, to get my fitness back up. Unfortunately, I have also increased my food intake, but hey, I deserve it. Anyway, a couple of days ago I went up the hill again, it's pretty hilly around here, and a guy on a race bike passed my easily. No problem I thought, he is on a race bike. Today, on the same spot, a young guy went past me at twice my speed and even faster than the guy on the race bike. The problem is, that he was on an mtb, an old shitty one for all I could tell.

So now I've got nothing. I could say that I turned fifty a couple of weeks ago, but for all I know, some 70 year old is going to blow me into the weeds on his push bike, tomorrow.

The road to fitness is a hard one, but I am not giving up yet. The DB, not the beer, is a good incentive to keep working on it.