Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
To all who say let Indian die, give Polaris a chance. There are a lot of hurdles they have, (price being a HUGE one) but this is the first time Indian has had the backing that they need to move ahead. I have my doubts as well as many here, but really want to see what they can do.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #17
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
To all who say let Indian die, give Polaris a chance. There are a lot of hurdles they have, (price being a HUGE one) but this is the first time Indian has had the backing that they need to move ahead. I have my doubts as well as many here, but really want to see what they can do.
I agree. Maybe it will work this time. Triumph did it.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
The Dirty One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Victory has what is proving to be one of the most reliable v-twins,no,scratch that,reliable MOTORCYCLES available.does one really think they are gonna build Harley clone motors for the "real" revised Indian? I don't.I believe it will be a good outcome for the motorcycle industry and TWO American motorcycle companies.
The Dirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #19
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
I also agree that Kawasaki has built the best new Indian so far. The Drifters were well executed, good looking, reasonably priced bikes. I've toyed with buying one more than once.

It was a shame when the courts awarded rights to the name to CMC. IMHO, there was a much better alternative with the Indian tribe in Oregon (?). They had a prototype using a Roush engine that looked good and was not a Harley clone.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Heard it at the ims show in long beach and sounds great at it one of the reps said it will not be a victory engine and the bike won't be out tell 2ed half of next year.
Mk5mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirty One View Post
TWO American motorcycle companies.
Who the other be.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,257
That sound track was gay. It sounds ridiculous.

And who cares if "Indian" makes a "comeback"??? A Polaris Indian is as much an Indian as a Kawasaki Harley.

They either need to build a motorcycle that is worth owning on its merits, or go the way of the dodo. Again.

There's absolutely zero connection between an Indian motorcycle from 1940 and a Polaris motorcycle in 2015, and being proud of the name badge on the tank is fucking childish.
If I was a decision maker at Polaris I would ditch the Indian name completely, and create a new line of bikes that people actually want.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
EetsOK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
The first of the Polaris Indians will be warmed over CMC Indians, which means S&S clone engines and other HD aftermarket catalog parts...

Too bad, really...
They already are. Polaris is continuing on with the old Gilroy/Kings Mountain "Power Plus" (ie redecorated Evo) since last eyar when they took over. Been building bikes at Spirit Lake for about year now.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Unless they dump it quick, Indian will bring Polaris and Victory down with it.
Come on.....Polaris is a $3B company. To think this Indian experiment could kill the company is silly. If it fails, it dies. Polaris and Victory will go on.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,675
Polaris has a pretty sketchy history of design and if Indians were about one thing, it was design.

I'm dubious.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
At least with polaris backing it Mike Wolfe's check should clear.
I laughed so hard at this I pulled my jejunum.

I think if Polaris can't do it with Victory, then they can't do it with Indian's name.

99% of cruiser riders would rather be on a Harley than anything else. Indian's heritage could crack that nut, but not with parts bin bikes.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Polaris has a pretty sketchy history of design and if Indians were about one thing, it was design.

I'm dubious.
Polaris the company has had a terrific track record in a really competitive field...make that fields. Some small snowmobile company in Minnesota is now a multibillion dollar manufacturing company. Their snowmobiles rock, their atvs are really good...and they make a motorcycle too

I talked to one of their engineers at Sturgis and he said Indian will be more nostalgia/traditional, and Victory would go more techy. Makes sense. Indian can appeal to those who like fringes, Victory can pivot toward more touring stuff/muscle bikes. Hey, it wouldn't take a great leap of engineering for them to use their snowmobile/atv expertise and make a reallystonking adventure or dirt-bike. Stranger things have happened.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I agree. Maybe it will work this time. Triumph did it.
Triumph didn't get to where they are today by only building bikes on the Bonneville platform. Indian can keep their heritage shtick while still bringing something other than just a another V-Twin cruiser to the market. I'd like to see them try something like the Griso.

I mean, it's not like they have to be worried about alienating a legion of owners.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #29
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post

Hey, it wouldn't take a great leap of engineering for them to use their snowmobile/atv expertise and make a reallystonking adventure or dirt-bike. Stranger things have happened.

Cakeeater
I wish they would. A Polaris dual sport would rock
Mk5mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Hey, it wouldn't take a great leap of engineering for them to use their snowmobile/atv expertise and make a reallystonking adventure or dirt-bike. Stranger things have happened.

Cakeeater
There is the Adventure Touring Victory Vision -

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote