Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #481
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Are you sure the two mufflers don't have anything to do with making the bike quiet?
At least that is the statement of KTM. Two silenceres less noise emission...
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #482
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
They are also reasonably light, considering the overall wet weight at 228 lbs, and they meet the Euro-3 emissions. I'd say that they are part of the overall "package" of the Freeride. Given that the 350/500 have a single, large silencer, KTM certainly could have designed the Freeride that way - but they didn't.

I'd reinforce the subframe to carry Rotopax, and find some way to design a larger primary tank that isn't just between the top frame rails.

If none of this works, I'd buy a 350 EXC and remap it to a Freeride (minus the cam?).

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #483
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 259
The comparison with the other KTM 350s reminded me of something I had read on Rickramsey.net about the parts comparison with the XCF-W. We all know the Freeride engine was derived from the XCF but you might be surprised just how much of it is the same including piston, head, valve train and cams. In fact it is pretty much identical with the main differences being the intake and exhaust. Ive had a look at my own Freeride and the exhaust is necked right down just as the header leaves the cylinder head.
Im sure someone can get an XCF exhaust header and end can to fit if they were determined enough. Im sure rally raid must have a pipe bender knocking about their shop somewhere. It would also leave room for the wee tank they have been toying with
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #484
milzispete
Conquistador

link

link to XCF-W engine parts comparison http://rickramsey.net/FR350PartsComparo.htm
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #485
blakken
dirt napper

Oddometer: 55
I have the freeride to the wife
I also have a 690 enduro r and adv 990r.
I was very skeptical to the power off the freeride but i thinking off to sell my 690 and get my self a freeride.
Its fantastic in the forest, and its a killer when i go and "freerides" ..
I just want litle more power!
Is ther any easy mods to get it more alive.

Skickat frn min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
2011 690 enduro r
2010 990 adv abs
blakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #486
milzispete
Conquistador

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakken View Post
I have the freeride to the wife
I also have a 690 enduro r and adv 990r.
I was very skeptical to the power off the freeride but i thinking off to sell my 690 and get my self a freeride.
Its fantastic in the forest, and its a killer when i go and "freerides" ..
I just want litle more power!
Is ther any easy mods to get it more alive.

Skickat frn min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
I did the same thing Blakken. I bought one for the wife and now you can't get me off it. The only simple mod I know of is a re-map of the ECU which will take the bike from 24hp up to around 30hp. You should be able to find it covered earlier in this thread. After the ECU changes it looks to me like changes to the intake and exhaust system are required.

There is another good thread on here at http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...740262&page=18

The Aussies have had the Freeride for a little while now and from what I've read they are about to start pulling them to pieces Watch this space for some useful info on how to make the bike more manly

I should add that not all bikes came with only 24hp. It depends where and when and where you bought your bike from
Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #487
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
After introduction to the UK, KTM got enough feedback to take the HP from 24 to 30. That ECU map should be KTM factory for all newer bikes? I hope so.

However, more than 30 hp and you should switch to a 350 EXC-F or XC-W. The steep steering geometry (23*) of the Freeride and the 2.5" shorter wheel base are like those of a Trials bike - indeed it is a Trials hybrid. It won't handle like an Enduro at higher speeds - it will be less stable.

If you want a full-on dirt bike (Enduro), buy the Enduro. The Freeride wasn't designed to do what you are talking about. Can you do it? Yes. The KTM manual even tells you how, and notes that you void the warranty when you do it. But why do it when the EXC-F / XC-W will do it better? The weight penalty of the bigger bikes is trivial, and you get a rear subframe and access to larger gas tanks in the bargin - neither of which will happen on the Freeride easily.

We now have a world-wide culture of modifying motorcycles to beyond sensible limits. In this case - don't. Buy the right KTM in the first place.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #488
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,971
^^^^^ Best comments I've read about the FR350.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #489
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
With regards to the revised ECU map, mine was upgraded as part of the pre- delivery shake down.

Some shops here are removing the pre-filter and muffler gauze as well, those bits were left on mine.
One67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #490
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
After introduction to the UK, KTM got enough feedback to take the HP from 24 to 30. That ECU map should be KTM factory for all newer bikes? I hope so.

However, more than 30 hp and you should switch to a 350 EXC-F or XC-W. The steep steering geometry (23*) of the Freeride and the 2.5" shorter wheel base are like those of a Trials bike - indeed it is a Trials hybrid. It won't handle like an Enduro at higher speeds - it will be less stable.

If you want a full-on dirt bike (Enduro), buy the Enduro. The Freeride wasn't designed to do what you are talking about. Can you do it? Yes. The KTM manual even tells you how, and notes that you void the warranty when you do it. But why do it when the EXC-F / XC-W will do it better? The weight penalty of the bigger bikes is trivial, and you get a rear subframe and access to larger gas tanks in the bargin - neither of which will happen on the Freeride easily.

We now have a world-wide culture of modifying motorcycles to beyond sensible limits. In this case - don't. Buy the right KTM in the first place.
and at the price you said the freeride is selling at,add another $1700 and you can have the ktm350exc

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #491
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
and at the price you said the freeride is selling at,add another $1700 and you can have the ktm350exc
If the 350EXC is what you need/want, then you shouldn't even be looking at the Freeride.

Two completely different beasts, no matter what the price difference.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #492
blakken
dirt napper

Oddometer: 55
12 tooth

ONE67
did you mount the 12 tooth sprocket?
report please how did it work.

any one ho has tried the other map is it big difference?

i like to now a little more before i sell the 690 enduro r and get a freeride to complete my 990 adv r.

Pete40 what mods have you done airfilter skin? exhaust what part did you remove? mapping?
2011 690 enduro r
2010 990 adv abs
blakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #493
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by One67 View Post
If the 350EXC is what you need/want, then you shouldn't even be looking at the Freeride.

Two completely different beasts, no matter what the price difference.
i agree 100% with you,but on this thread and other threads guys are trying to use them that a 350 would/could be a better option,

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #494
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
i agree 100% with you,but on this thread and other threads guys are trying to use them that a 350 would/could be a better option,
Yeah, fair enough.

@Blakken - Yeah , I put the 12 tooth on because I felt that 1st gear was really only useful for rock hopping, which I don't do.

With the 12 in 1st, it will still pull up the gnarliest hills I can imagine, but it just cruises better getting to the trails at 80 cliks.
As for the new map, It's standard on all new Freerides now, mine was re-flashed before I picked it up.
After it's run in, I'll remove the pre-filter and exhaust restrictors, i think I'll feel a big difference then according to what the euro boys have said.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #495
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,863
Keep your reviews coming One67.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote