Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #71746
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Anyone know if the PowerBomb will bolt up to the OEM sized midpipe
It does. You just have to use the stock muffler gasket.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #71747
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Really! Removing the clutch isn't that big a deal. Nothing to be afraid of! Plus, it's an opportunity to inspect the steel plates for hot spots and the clutch basket fingers for wear. It doesn't take any more time to remove the clutch than it takes to dink around grinding tools and turning little screws 1/12 of a turn at a time. Once you have the clutch cover off it only makes sense to inspect everything you can while you're in there.
Alright, so how about a block of wood through the rear wheel to keep it from turning, then just unbolting the center clutch basket bolt?

I guess that's not too difficult... I just don't want to have to buy a clutch tool I may only use once or twice. I have an old-school torque wrench that will get it back to about 36 ft/lbs, give or take... ten, lol.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #71748
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Really! Removing the clutch isn't that big a deal. Nothing to be afraid of! Plus, it's an opportunity to inspect the steel plates for hot spots and the clutch basket fingers for wear. It doesn't take any more time to remove the clutch than it takes to dink around grinding tools and turning little screws 1/12 of a turn at a time. Once you have the clutch cover off it only makes sense to inspect everything you can while you're in there.
My experience, too. I've done 5 DR's and have another scheduled in a week. After the first one, I found it faster and MUCH less frustrating to just pop the clutch off. I bought the tool - any excuse I can get to buy another too is fine with me. Plus, the fellow riders I've done/led through the process learned a little about their bike.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #71749
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
My experience, too. I've done 5 DR's and have another scheduled in a week. After the first one, I found it faster and MUCH less frustrating to just pop the clutch off. I bought the tool - any excuse I can get to buy another too is fine with me. Plus, the fellow riders I've done/led through the process learned a little about their bike.
It just strikes me that a plethora of those tools should be out there, and I'd rather 'rent' one or help someone else pay for theirs than to buy one right now. I'm hoping a board through the rear wheel works since I live in south Florida and we probably have the least number of those clutch tools per capita than most places in the country.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #71750
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Alright, so how about a block of wood through the rear wheel to keep it from turning, then just unbolting the center clutch basket bolt?

I guess that's not too difficult... I just don't want to have to buy a clutch tool I may only use once or twice. I have an old-school torque wrench that will get it back to about 36 ft/lbs, give or take... ten, lol.
I use a car tyre lever on edge. Make sure its up snug against a spoke nipple at the rim and its fine. You won't shear anything, or bend a spoke if its there. Some electrical tape and/or zip ties can hold it all in place if you don't have enough hands.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #71751
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I use a car tyre lever on edge. Make sure its up snug against a spoke nipple at the rim and its fine. You won't shear anything, or bend a spoke if its there. Some electrical tape and/or zip ties can hold it all in place if you don't have enough hands.
Thanks Berg, and thanks guys.

I hope to start tearing into it tomorrow if I can find 5x20 bolts locally fast enough.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #71752
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
I've re-used the stock screws at the owners request. I use a Q-tip and cleaner to swab out the threads, clean the screw, install a star washer (thin - doesn't take much thread grab away) and blue loctite. No issues to date. I don't know what year they started with the allen head screws and those even have a bigger shoulder to grab the star washer with.

Sunthechip - headlight surround looks great! Part of the fun of a DR....making it yours.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #71753
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 590
+1 After laying on my back for 2 hours and a dozen trips into my tool box I pulled the clutch in 5 minutes. Used a 2x2 stick of wood in the rear wheel but a rag in the primary gears will hold things also.

TravelGuy

Quote:
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #71754
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I've re-used the stock screws at the owners request. ... and blue loctite. No issues to date.
+1
A little bit of blue locktite is all that is needed to solve the problem.
Drilled screws and safety wire is overkill.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #71755
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Garage Door Remote Control

Just to change the subject for a minute. Has anyone invented or found a way to waterproof their garage door remote whilst leaving it fixed on the bike? I have mine in my jacket pocket and sort of wobble down the the road stearing with my right hand whilst trying to activate the remote button through the jacket outer with my left hand. There must be a better way?
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #71756
Tyrepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
Just to change the subject for a minute. Has anyone invented or found a way to waterproof their garage door remote whilst leaving it fixed on the bike? I have mine in my jacket pocket and sort of wobble down the the road stearing with my right hand whilst trying to activate the remote button through the jacket outer with my left hand. There must be a better way?
I just put mine in a zip lock bag.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my bikes for what I "told her" they cost!!!

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt......... then it's hilarious!!!
Tyrepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #71757
devans101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Garage Remote

http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/
devans101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #71758
rogor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
I just put mine in a zip lock bag.

+1 on the ziplock bag
rogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #71759
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
Never had a problem using this type - it's independent of weather

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #71760
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
haha..i was going to post the same video
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote