User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #46
gregitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
reply to Mr. Guru

I guess the responses from others I heard regarding your posts are correct....you are just another internet asshole "know it all"...the lawyer remark was directed not to you but the original poster...I was defending your position....if you had a brain you would have seen that! Oh well....I do not need a new shifter by the way...it is obvious you have an ax to grind about this bike and people who are trying to offer information about it...whatever...please...I do not need wild geometry remarks to know what the bike does for me..... offer something more constructive...by the way...I am am only a newbee to this forum...not the biking world...get a life please!!!
gregitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #47
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregitt View Post
I guess the responses from others I heard regarding your posts are correct....you are just another internet asshole "know it all"...the lawyer remark was directed not to you but the original poster...I was defending your position....if you had a brain you would have seen that! Oh well....I do not need a new shifter by the way...it is obvious you have an ax to grind about this bike and people who are trying to offer information about it...whatever...please...I do not need wild geometry remarks to know what the bike does for me..... offer something more constructive...by the way...I am am only a newbee to this forum...not the biking world...get a life please!!!
I'm sorry for misinterpreting your lawyer statement. I read it and made my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregitt View Post
In all fairness to the Guru, I will say this.....if someone does get hurt because of the original thread.....the Lawyers will be coming for you!!!
Next time try the following...

"In all fairness to the Guru, I will say this.....ggamster, if someone does get hurt because of the original thread.....the Lawyers will be coming for you!!!"

Make the sentence say what you meant. No misinterpretation about it. Direct and to the point.

I do have a brain. The facts about the lack of ground clearance and it's dangers aren't made up...

Since your a noob here maybe you should reread your posts so the point you are making is clearly directed to the correct poster...

I have a life, but also will try to save someone elses life or keep them from being injured if possible. If this makes me an asshole so what. The person it saves won't think that...

I like the CRF250L, it's a decent bike with a nice price point. Would I own one? Sure but it would be for my wife not me. I would still enjoy it thou.

My problem is with what is being done to the bike and what the end result is with this modification.

See the update below for the correct fix

MentalGuru screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 06:43 PM
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #48
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I am so sick of you fucks that act like you know everything! Have you riden my mother fucking bike? Do you even own this model? Have you done the mod? Then stay the fuck off my post! I have riden this bike and it does quite well for the pos it is! Any time you lower the back of the bike more than the front you change the geometry. It is not my mod that does this it is lowering in general. Maybe you would suggest foot implants for my wife or a dr200 that won't go 55 for her to be on the highway with. Would that be safer.
Just put the guy on "ignore" and you won't see the stupid posts.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #49
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
Just put the guy on "ignore" and you won't see the stupid posts.

Yup, and let natural selection run its course...

Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #50
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Important Update.

This is the solution for the above mentioned Safety issues.

This information should eliminate any danger to the rider and bike.

Since there is serious interest in this modification for lowering your CRF250L and others that have done so I did the following research. I also contacted NC Rick an inmate from a suspension shop/shock builder for his thoughts.

He gave me permission to quote the PM he relied in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru
Could you do me a favor and check out this thread about the CRF250L?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819032

I posted my thoughts about it there. I was wondering about what your thoughts as a suspension builder are about the modification being done.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick
Hello and thank you for linking the thread to me!

That really is a pretty good idea. We need to make sure that clearance to the tri-link is maintained. Once the shock is lowered like that, the wheel will travel beyond the designed limit by the same amount as the bike was lowered (much as what happens when the forks are slid up in the triple clamps) that problem can (and likely will) cause the rear wheel to hit some other part of the bike (on some bikes I have seen the rear brake line get cut by this). To solve that problem , the savvy mod-er would remove the clevis from the shock shaft and install a turned spacer below the bottom bumper with a thickness equal to the lowering hole center-line space to limit the travel. looking at the design of the factory lowerable DR650 you will find that the factory employed exactly that method.

If you would like you can quote me in the thread.

Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc.
motocd.com

After reading his replie and doing some research this is what I came up with.

Front Suspension

Here's a quote from the CRF250L Owners thread from ramz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Here are some measurements of the CRF250L and CRF250X forks. I used an inch tape for some measurements, but converted everything to mm. I'm trying to track down the bearing sizes.

The fork tube OD measurements are of the clamping surfaces, just below each bridge.
This was from when it was determined the 12" of fork travel the X has would need to be reduced to 10" to eliminate the chance of bottoming the frame into the ground. This is because the X forks are only 14mm longer then the L forks are.

So this information should verify the forks can be raised 20mm(or more with your own verification) without reducing ground clearance to possibly dangerous levels.

Rear Suspension

The rear suspension clearance was checked by ggamster according to his original post. The main issues are ground clearance and fender contact at full suspension compression.

NC Rick's reccomendation of adding a spacer as thick as the distance you relocated the hole to the shock shaft below the bumpstop. This will reduce travel but eliminate the problems with this modification.

He mentions that Suzuki DR650's have 2 shock eye holes and a spacer that is added when the bike is lowered to eliminate fender contact and mantain proper ground clearance.

After thinking about the spacer needed I realized it could be a simple machined 2 piece aluiminum spacer clamped together by allen screws. This would allow the spacer be installed easily with the spring removed.

IMHO 3" is too far to lower the rear, but this is easy to change with the new holes location. 3" is still doable but it's equals quite a loss in rear travel after adding the spacer and the geometry is changed more.

Relocating the hole 1 1/8" should work(after studying ggamsters pictures some) and should net just over a 2" reduction in rear ride height. This would still make a nice difference in seat height without losing as much travel since a shorter 1 1/8" spacer would be needed.

Disclaimer

By following the above information and verifying the clearance issues yourself this modification can be made to work with only minor issues.

The only issues should be the reduction in rear suspension travel and the geometry change(for some) to the head angle/rack causing slower steering and possibly easier front end washout for some riders.

For the some riders this geometry change will improve stablity at speed as a benefit and the bike will ride smoother due to the reduced swingarm angle.

So now I would like to thank NC Rick, ramz and ggamster for the above information.

I will contact ggamster about cleaning his thread up and adding the information that eliminates the Safety issues and makes this a cheap safe modification.

On a side note NC Rick at Cogent Dynamics Inc has built one custom shock for the CRF250L already and could make one for your lowering needs also.

See the CRF250L Owners post for 'Flaggers shock review.

MentalGuru screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 04:31 AM
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #51
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

ramz posted a review of Race Tech rear shock offering in the CRF250L's owners thread. It can also limit travel for lowering purposes.