Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #3916
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
There is one up near the windshield adjustment knob.
Why, so there is... I even have a picture of it! Thanks.

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #3917
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Long Beach, California Motorcycle Show pictures

LED lights with ignition off.

LED Daylight Running Lights on with the ignition on.

LED Low Beam (Left side) on (note that it does not stay on by default, you have to turn it on)

LED High Beam (Right side) on. It continues to keep low beam on.

New and improved side stand. It seems to me that the bike does not lean same or more than the current GS, perhaps less lean.

Oil filter

Brembo, front wheel

While BMW has replaced plastic oil reservoir mounted on the handlebar to aluminum, they seem to have kept this (next to the yellow shock thingy) as plastic.

Spoke wheel hub

Close up of the rim

Montauk screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 11:57 PM
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #3918
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
More pictures of Long Beach, CA show

LED brake lights. These do not blink (DOT requirement). Notice that the yellow indicator lights (turn signals) have to be large as per DOT when the bike is delivered from the factory.

Standard turn signal for US market

BUT, I was told that you could replace it with LED (which may be brighter) as an option. I saw another bike that had the LED turn signals.

Tires. Your new WC GS will come with one of three different manufacturer tires. Not all bikes will come with Michelin tires as per Press Release. You would only know, when the crate is opened.

Raised GS logo (I am not sure if current GS has raised lettering)

Instrument cluster. It is showing "N" in LCD panel as well as coloured. However, if you change the gear, only the LCD panel will show the gear you are currently in. It was demonstrated to me by the rep.

Here you can see the accessory socket, below the windshield know and to the right of the panel.

Stock seat. It is not smooth, rather you can feel those slightly raised dots.

Exhaust

Miscellaneous pictures

I couldn't figure out the purpose of this plastic thing sticking out on the left side above the cylinder

Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #3919
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Nice pictures At the UK show the bike wasn't allowed to be started, and was on a fixed stand, so I couldn't get a feel for the weight of it, or try the centre stand. Damn health and safety brigade.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #3920
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,677

Got a new nickname for the motor: The smoker.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #3921
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
bmw 2013 r1200gs lc

dear forum and bmw people ( if any bmw people actually read these threads )

bmw has hit the ball out of the park with the new r1200gs lc . the 2013 r1200gs lc is the best two wheeled vehicle ever designed by any motorcycle company and instantly obsoletes every other motorcycle presently manufactured including the entire bmw lineup . this bike is built to take abuse in all terrains and weather conditions and last for three hundred thousand miles . the bmw r1200gs lc has exactly everything you want and nothing you don't . it is the modern day equivalent of a luxury suv and will never go out of style . the beauty of this bike is in its total appearance of long lasting dependability and power to spare . there is no better all around motorcycle than the 2013 bmw r1200gs lc . if you want to race -- get a yamaha r1 . if you want to be sporty -- get a bmw r1300s . if you want to be stylish -- get a moto guzzi california . if you are in the market for a two wheeled machine whose appearance is dictated strictly by performance and reliability -- the bmw r1200gs lc is the only real motorcycle available .

doggrell3000
new york ny
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #3922
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,503
What were you smoking this morning? I want the same :)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorerd

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #3923
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by voluhzia View Post
what were you smoking this morning? I want the same :)

facebook
nova scotia on explorerd
+1
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #3924
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Surefire - makes flashlights that produce in excess of 800 Lumens and they project well enough to identify a man in camouflage at 500 meters - and more. They are rugged enough to withstand the recoil of any automatic weapon made - M2, M240, 25MM canon, etc. The reflectors are designed and set at the factory and are pre-focused. The technology is there.

I recently purchased a set of the new PIAA LED driving Lights and they are both bright and illuminate fairly well. They could be better however. The LED is mounted on a cross bar and is directed into the reflector.
+1 I have a Surefire 6px tactical light and let me tell you, that thing is a beacon of light. I have no doubts about the new BMW LED headlight.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #3925
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,756
Don't you think you might want to ride it first before making this almighty proclamation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
dear forum and bmw people ( if any bmw people actually read these threads )

bmw has hit the ball out of the park with the new r1200gs lc . the 2013 r1200gs lc is the best two wheeled vehicle ever designed by any motorcycle company and instantly obsoletes every other motorcycle presently manufactured including the entire bmw lineup . this bike is built to take abuse in all terrains and weather conditions and last for three hundred thousand miles . the bmw r1200gs lc has exactly everything you want and nothing you don't . it is the modern day equivalent of a luxury suv and will never go out of style . the beauty of this bike is in its total appearance of long lasting dependability and power to spare . there is no better all around motorcycle than the 2013 bmw r1200gs lc . if you want to race -- get a yamaha r1 . if you want to be sporty -- get a bmw r1300s . if you want to be stylish -- get a moto guzzi california . if you are in the market for a two wheeled machine whose appearance is dictated strictly by performance and reliability -- the bmw r1200gs lc is the only real motorcycle available .

doggrell3000
new york ny
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #3926
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
I couldn't figure out the purpose of this plastic thing sticking out on the left side above the cylinder
Fuel injector? I heard they don't inject fuel at the TB, but instead, right before the intake valve - sorta a cross between TB injection and direct injection.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #3927
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 827
Looks to me like the spark plug cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Fuel injector? I heard they don't inject fuel at the TB, but instead, right before the intake valve - sorta a cross between TB injection and direct injection.

- Mark
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #3928
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 827
I think he drank the Koolaid. It may be a great bike but that awaits your own personal road test.

Personally, having owned a 2008 and 2010 GS, I don't care for the exhaust sound. And what's that smoke coming out of the tailpipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
What were you smoking this morning? I want the same :)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorerd
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #3929
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
and what's that smoke coming out of the tailpipes?
For a brand new bike straight out of the crate, I don't think it would be surprising to have some assembly grease/oil being burned off.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #3930
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 550
Color options for new GS

So I've elected to get the new GS in red, and I was having a discussion with my girlfriend regarding paint jobs on cars and the classic discussion on car color came up: "If you own a red (sports) car, your insurance premium is higher and you have a higher chance of getting pulled over by a cop" Both points in that statement maybe bunk, but it had me considering the actual pros and cons of having a red trimmed motorcycle. I'm coming from a blue 2005 GS, which I love the color and would even love it on the new model, but the new blue is a little too 'electric' for me.

My thought on Pros: better visibility to other cars, aesthetically pleasing
Cons: better visibility/susceptibility to cops, visual attractiveness leading to vandalism/theft

What are everyone's thoughts? Is there any actual data out there in internet land that goes over the psychology of a red vehicle and whether or not it costs you more money annually or jeopardizes your safety on the bike or attracts theft?

I'm not a fan of the white or blue in the slightest, so my back up plan is the grey trim.

It's too bad Click and Clack are off the air. It would have been a good question for them.