User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
The shinny new bike syndrom....

Every year about this time I get the desire to trade in or sell my current bike and buy a new, bigger fancier bike....

I think this comes from not being able to ride for 4 months.

My current bike is an 09 Versys that set up well for light touring. Its a great bike but has its limitations. Not the greatest for two up riding ( the wife doesn't feel comfortable on it) and I wouldn't mind a bit more power. The plus side its pretty much fully farkled....and the biggy, its fully paid for...has been for over a year.

So the internal struggle....sell it and get a bigger bike that needs to be farlked plus a payment. Or keep what I got...
In the past the wallet wins out and I don't buy anything...although last year I bought a used KLR to play with...( I know what some will say....sell that one, but Kermit has won my heart so I'm keeping that one)

I realize the only person who can answer it is me but I figure I'm not the only one going through this struggle.

Offcamber screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 11:53 AM
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,538
Get a new bike. As you have learned the strom is a good bike but it is lack luster and uninspiring. Choose wisely but get something that puts a grin on your face.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Get a new bike. As you have learned the strom is a good bike but it is lack luster and uninspiring. Choose wisely but get something that puts a grin on your face.

The op said "My current bike is an 09 Versy" what would he have learned about a strom while riding a Kawasaki?

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

What I'm thinking of...and I haven't even seen one in person let alone ride it is a Yamaha Super Tenere....Features and Price point are on the mark....plus I can swap some of my farkles....Aux Lights, Panniers etc...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I vote with Dakez - get something that really fills a need and captures your imagination. Then ride it a long time. My 2004 KTM 950 was practically an impulse purchase powered by emotion. I was planning on buying a BMW GS, when I stopped into a KTM store just to look. I sat on her and was smitten. She reminded me of my old YZ and was in my barn within a few days. I never got tired of that bike, nor regretted the money I poured into her. She took me all over the continent. I only just sold her last spring.

Her replacement is the hottest little bad girl I've ever owned. Beautifully sculpted orange trellis chassis, graced with long WP legs, and a heart filled with a piston the size of a coffee can! She's stopped by Italian brakes, and weighs in at an athletic and toned 300lbs.

Dang she's somethin' !!!

and expensive too.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

That is a sweet looking bike....
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,640
I did that when I got the /5. I periodically go (went) window shopping, but ended up going home to ole reliable.

--Bill
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
The op said "My current bike is an 09 Versy" what would he have learned about a strom while riding a Kawasaki?

TC,
Did you forget that DAKEZ is a Harley motorcycle salesman?
Sorry DAKEZ, couldn't pass the chance to get a zinger in.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
I am at the other end of the spectrum.....I like my bikes DirTay! So every year around this time I start looking for another abused, tired, dirty, old girl to add to the garage....
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
What I'm thinking of...and I haven't even seen one in person let alone ride it is a Yamaha Super Tenere....Features and Price point are on the mark....plus I can swap some of my farkles....Aux Lights, Panniers etc...
Yer wise in choose'in the Tenere. It may not be as "fun" as the KTM, but reliability is mor important. Besides, if'n ya know how ta ride, you can have fun on any bike. (As long as it starts 'n runs when ya turn the key)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ironically there is a KTM dealer right in town which is odd because the only other dealer in town is HD...All the the others went out of business when we had the snow drought for a few years. the other dealers relied heavily on Snowmobile sales which dried up. So for anything other than KTM or HD I have to drive an hour minimum.....but I'm not opposed to a fly and ride if the price is right.

The KTM dealer sells primarly full off-road and racing bikes....not to many dualpsorts or Adventure Bikes....I'm sure they could get it if tI wanted it but they are a little pricey for my tastes.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
why don't you spend a little money on some wilbers/ohlins for your bike so that it's set up to fit you and the way you ride?

I have a set of Ohlins set up on my 1150GS for my weight and riding style and I can push it harder in corners than my Aprilia Futura or K1200RS with stock suspensions.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

I had a moto mag on the desk next to me that had the new strom on the cover when I read the post. DOH!!! NEVER Mind that part. But the last part still applies.

Look into the Triumphs.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
why don't you spend a little money on some wilbers/ohlins for your bike so that it's set up to fit you and the way you ride?

I have a set of Ohlins set up on my 1150GS for my weight and riding style and I can push it harder in corners than my Aprilia Futura or K1200RS with stock suspensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I had a moto mag on the desk next to me that had the new strom on the cover when I read the post. DOH!!! NEVER Mind that part. But the last part still applies.

Look into the Triumphs.
Not a bad idea but I would still be stuck with 650 engine....Although the Kawi 650 is a very good engine it can't compare to an 1100 on power. Loaded for touring and add a passenger and you defiantly feel a drop in performance.

I am looking into the Triumphs, 2 hour ride just to look at one....the defiantly fit the Shinny factor
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Ironically there is a KTM dealer right in town which is odd because the only other dealer in town is HD...All the the others went out of business when we had the snow drought for a few years. the other dealers relied heavily on Snowmobile sales which dried up. So for anything other than KTM or HD I have to drive an hour minimum.....but I'm not opposed to a fly and ride if the price is right.

The KTM dealer sells primarly full off-road and racing bikes....not to many dualpsorts or Adventure Bikes....I'm sure they could get it if tI wanted it but they are a little pricey for my tastes.
I wasn't pitching KTM's. I was saying buy something that fills a need and moves you. For me that was a KTM 690R.

If you happen to be interested in KTM's, the nicest twin streetbike I've ever ridden was a 2010 KTM 990 SM-T. It's basically similar to your present style bike, but obviously much more powerful and has real character. You should demo one. The 990 Adventure is nice too, but not sure how good it is two-up. You can probably get them pretty well priced.

I don't quite get the new Yamaha. It seems too big. I like Yamaha in general, though. We have an R6 race bike and it is a very well made machine. I also have a Yamaha WR250R. I love that thing. Sort of like a scooter.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote