User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
FZ6Max OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
West Coast to East Coast

New member here looking for some planning help or and other helpful tips for a long haul. West coast to East Coast early summer of 2013

I have done weekend trips across states before but nothing as long as I plan to.

I am 21 years old and have been riding for about 5 years now. So far this trip is going to be solo unless anyone else steps up. My first bike was a XR250 dualsport and then I sold that for a CRF250x and just rode dirt for a few months. Now I ride a 2007 FZ6 with around 11k on it. This bike is more in between a touring bike and a sportbike. I know it won't be as comfortable as a touring bike but neither was hiking all the way around Lake Tahoe with a 40lb pack on my back for 16 days.

I have a couple saddle bags that came with the bike from the guy I bought it from but will likely upgrade to some bigger ones. Also planning on having a seat bag and small tank bag(any recommendations?). I have lightweight packable camping gear as I plan on camping most nights. Other nights I hope to CouchSurf or possibly get a cheap motel room. From lurking the forum you guys are pretty cool about meeting up and letting others crash for the night or at least go for a ride.

Im not trying to do this trip in a limited time but don't want to let it take up my whole summer.. or maybe I do. A little over a month would be ideal. I want to somewhat plan this trip out but will most likely go day by day depending on what is going on or what there is to see. Basically I am looking for great camping spots/national parks, fun riding roads, awesome views and day hikes. And of course to see different cities, people and their atmospheres.

If you guys have any info on riding roads, places to eat, places to stay, motorcycle events or any fun events for that matter. Here is a map of what I plan on doing so far..

[MAP](https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=South+Lake+Tahoe,+CA&daddr=Yosemite+National+Park+Road,+Yosemite+Valley ,+CA+to:San+Luis+Obispo,+CA+to:Grand+Canyon+Nation al+Park,+Arizona+to:Zion+National+Park,+Utah+to:Ca nyonlands+National+Park,+Moab,+UT+to:Grand+Junctio n,+CO+to:Breckenridge,+CO+to:Colorado+Springs,+CO+ toenver,+CO+to:Fort+Collins,+CO+to:Pikes+Peak,+F ort+Collins,+CO+to:Mount+Rushmore,+SD+to:Falls+Par k,+East+Falls+Park+Drive,+Sioux+Falls,+SD+to:Chica go,+IL+to:Grand+Rapids,+MI+to:Cleveland,+OH+to:New +York,+NY+to:Stowe,+VT+to:Maine&hl=en&ll=41.112469,-77.519531&spn=65.423334,158.027344&sll=39.97712,-95.097656&sspn=33.782517,79.013672&geocode=FfkSUgIdJC_Z-CnhT6XuiYWZgDGOkSP7Ri8b3Q%3BFZDcPwIdupXf-CkVcvpfN_KWgDEVEqCW8SNMNg%3BFUBfGgIdYOHO-Cknwmx7vubsgDFGD-_OwpACvA%3BFQVhJgIdr-tU-SE7YzTC5Mlivimtv2mAsxAzhzE7YzTC5Mlivg%3BFf3BNwIdkw dE-SH1VjaqFToufCnZ-ESI0OrKgDH1VjaqFToufA%3BFVXSSAIdDWRz-SGq5gLFqVKkFSmpphhF7uFHhzGq5gLFqVKkFQ%3BFT4RVAIdB6 aH-SlXcOci49ZGhzFWfL_OUfRjzA%3BFTZxWgIdsPut-SnB5yZsPfZqhzF6ooBmf4-NYg%3BFdqOUAIdjY3A-Skr0uahLkEThzETa-j1kuuOQQ%3BFd9YXgIdcg---SnPFx8jqoBrhzHWNoon-PSOEQ%3BFSxIawId-Ym8-SmtMPCQRUpphzGCQKu0KEKxqQ%3BFfwGawId6Bi9-SkBFj39JktphzF6MJooukdDdw%3BFbGPnQIdmXDV-SHCrSKNkZ-ItinxmdNvdjZ9hzHCrSKNkZ-Itg%3BFeSkmAId0hs8-iET6JdiIajCuikjTwrKC7WOhzET6JdiIajCug%3BFWICfwIdGu DG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFaCRjwIdCs_k-ikVKFC7YFQYiDHQqNMby6qTpQ%3BFWc7eQIdT20h-ykta2jjLu8wiDFCGGL3VcsE7Q%3BFXFAbQIdK8KW-yk7CD_TpU_CiTFi_nfhBo8LyA%3BFY6jpgId8qaq-ynVXjYrNZG1TDEBKRNFN7rFJg%3BFZeEsgIdo1jc-ynVilMd3h2wTDHQqCBnb8x51g&oq=Falls+P,+SD&mra=ls&t=m&z=3)
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

FZ6Max screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 04:16 PM
FZ6Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 122
Hey what's up I'm planning on riding to NJ from San Jose end of June basically I have to get there for the 4th of July, my plan is to be on the road for max two weeks or so let me know maybe we can ride for a while or who knows maybe whole thing
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
FZ6Max OP
n00b

Niice!
I should be leaving around then. I'm not trying to do as many miles as I can in a day. I am going to go out of the way for cool places to check out.
Have you checked out the map I posted? We might be able to get at least a few days in together I would think!
Keep me posted
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
ondi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
how about taking 1 up to Oregon and then TAT
ondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ6Max View Post

Other nights I hope to CouchSurf or possibly get a cheap motel room. From lurking the forum you guys are pretty cool about meeting up and letting others crash for the night or at least go for a ride.
Check out the Tent Space thread. Inmates all over the country (and the world) offer up places to stay!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
It looks like much of your routing is on interstates. My recommendation is to try to find routes other than interstates, if you can (time-wise). For example, in Utah, go to Zion, then head back east, go north on 89, and then east/north on 12 to Torrey (this is an amazing road!), then take 24 and you can either connect up with I-70, or at Hanksville, take 95 to Blanding, and then you can take 191 to Moab, and eventually end up on I-70.

The stretch on I-40 (from SoCal to Flagstaff, Arizona) is hard to avoid, but it's not too bad.

Also, you should purchase a Parks Pass if you plan on going to visit parks. It costs $80 but if you end up going to several parks, it will save you some money. Note that the pass is only for entrance into the park; it does not give you any discount on camping in the park.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Eyes Shut screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 11:57 AM
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
FZ6Max OP
n00b

Nice thanks Eyes Shut for those links and road tips.
The map is just a rough guideline of places I want to go. Unfortunately google maps doesn't have a motorcycle option so it chooses the main roads. I will definitely go out of my way for better ridin roads
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 6,185
Consider joning the KoA, and download their PoI to your GPS....it'll make finding a campsite way easier at the end of the day.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
FZ6Max OP
n00b

Good point I've always thought about doing that but haven't done so yet
I enjoy hiking out to camp but I would much rather be close to my bike
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
KOA's can cost nearly as much as a Mom & Pop motel. In many areas of the west you can go to a laundromat and shower there for a buck.I'd use gov campgrounds mostly, not freebies from inmates here as they have a better locale-in the woods! As you like to hike, consider that if you are prior to ~ Memorial Day, then the Trail Ridge road in RMNP may be closed & you need to ride there! i like : wwwmotorcycleroads.us as a way to route away from the slab roads. The time factor can make them a good choice, however as they will free up valuable time to take a hike into back country then get to another "must see/do" location.
To secure you stuff on the bike hard luggage works much better if you will leave your bike parked for a trail visit. Another idea is to find a "friend" to watch it while you go into the mountains-like a local business or govt. office place. I do that in MX sometimes with helmets & jackets,etc.. enjoy.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
tobster9
Sky larker

Oddometer: 115
Im planning on doing the same trip, but leaving from vancouver a bit earlier, Ive dont quite a bit of touring and personally I base my stops on the weather and people I meet, if its shitty i will probably ride through, if its a nice road I will keep riding as its too much fun to get off, extended camping is quite tough on a road bike, to maintain performance you need to stay relatively nimble and its a pain in the butt to undo straps and have to sort through a bunch on stuff to dig out something at the bottom of your pack/bag. I toured france and spain without even a change of clothes, i slept in my leathers when it was cold and had shorts to put on when it was time to relax. A credit card and some spare fuel will take you almost anywhere and you can always buy new socks and underwear as needed. Sure its a little dirty but who cares, and you wont notice until your in town buying a coffee at starbucks which will be inevitable at some point.
Ive found that if your riding all day your going to need a few things close to hand, water, camera, wallet, snacks, smokes, map,lonely planet etc that alone will take up a fair bit of room, then you need to store some runners/trainers and they are really bulky, if you want to pack cooking gear, tent, bag, clothes, food, tools, spare parts, laptop/netbook, ipod, etc etc it quickly becomes a real pain when you want to check somewhere out quickly or leave your bike in town for 30 mins while you do whatever. Last year I took my DR650 from Van to cabo and back and by the time I got to Cabo my bags were re-welded twice, id given half of my stuff away, and I was carrying only essentials on the way back, this then enables you to ride hard when you meet people or locals that want to show you around etc. Just my 2c but thanks to china you can pretty much buy anything you need almost anywhere and ditch it when your done. Ditch it in a responsible way of course
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
FZ6Max OP
n00b

Yes lockable hard luggage will be a must for me on this trip.

I will only pack my sleeping bag for camping and also a water filter. Other than that it will be main items like 1-2 pairs of clothes, camera, sunglasses, wallet, shoes, hat, gloves, tools, cell phone, snacks, water, headphones, map and that is pretty much it. I don't think I will be over packed on my bike.
Well let me know when you start your trip and maybe we can meet up for some of it!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
Have you considered a bivy?

R.E., post #11-If I was willing to(which I'm not) spend Starbucks level funds for coffee(the name has a $$$ ring to it) I damn sure wouldn't be sleeping in my riding gear!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 122
[QUOTE=FZ6Max;20217011]Niice!
I should be leaving around then. I'm not trying to do as many miles as I can in a day. I am going to go out of the way for cool places to check out.
Have you checked out the map I posted? We might be able to get at least a few days in together I would think!
Keep me posted[/Q
map looks good I will most likely try to get to east coast in about 4-5 days but I think there are some parts where I should be on part of your route
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
FZ6Max OP
n00b

Yah I already have a bivy that packs down smaller than a soda can its awesome. Definitely beats hauling and setting up a tent.

No way am I sleeping in my riding gear hah its worth it to be comfortable