User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,284
I need to try on dual sport boots...

Does anybody know a place in southern California that stocks more than 3 pairs or more than a couple brands of boots that I can go to and try a bunch on. I have never had a good pair of boots and want my first pair to count.

I am looking for a boot I can ride in and walk around in too, you know, the perfect boot for under $200.

I keep coming back to this Gaerne, recommended by a couple guys here and Google keeps popping them up, what do you guys think?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...dventure-boots

Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
scoopitout
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Good selection of several brands.

Try Chapparel in San Bernadino.
scoopitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopitout View Post
Try Chapparel in San Bernadino.
That place looks good, 107 miles from my driveway though, sounds like a nice Monday morning ride!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,264
I have those boots. I got some seconds from Atomic-moto for cheap. I have only put a couple hundred miles on them, but here are my thoughts:

First, they run small. I normally wear a 43 and the 44s fit me well. They seem to run a bit wider than Sidis if you have a wider foot.

They are comfortable rght out of the box. Compared to my Sidi Adventures, I would say they are slightly easier to walk in. This is mostly due to them having less support. But I'm not sure I would want to wear them all day off the bike. You could, but you would know they were there. As I said, I only have a couple hundred miles in mine, so maybe as they break in they would be like an old pair of sneakers.

I mistakenly bought them thinking they were comparable to my Adventure in terms of support. They aren't. They really are more of a glorified hiking boot. I don't mean this in a bad way, as I think any similarly built (no ankle support) boot is basically a glorified hiking boot.

The quality seems good with the exception of the buckles. They just seem cheap. The top one seem to have alignment issues. I think this is a design issue since others have said the same thing. Kind of a shame, the cheap buckles really bring down the overall impression on a pretty good boot.

They are supposed to be waterproof, but I haven't tested mine.

All in all, I think it is a decent and comfortable boot. That being said, mine are most likely headed to the flea market. My plan when I bought these was to use them as a cheap replacement for my Sidi Adventures for more aggressive days and get a pair of Gaerne Balance Oiled as a daily wear/commute boot. However, I didn't realize these are actually less protective than the Balance boots (my mistake, they aren't advertised as being made for aggressive riding). This isn't so much an indictment on this boot as it is an endorsement for the Adventures. The Adventures are basically just as comfortable, but far more protective and better quality, albeit more expensive.

No complaints as I think I paid under $150 for them. Certainly not a terrible boot for $250, but at that price I would personally shell out another $100 for the Balance or the Sidi Adventures.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Thanks for the great write up Butters, I appreciate the input. As much as a good pair costs its no wonder nobody really stocks a lot of choices.

I am trying to figure out what size I wear in each brand, I may be a 42 in one but a 43 in another. I would like to avoid ordering 10 pairs and sending back 9 before hitting on the right one.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
scoopitout
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Boots

Chapparel has 166,000 sq. ft. of display area. Careful though, you could walk out with a hell of a lot more than just
boots!
scoopitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
moe.ron OP
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopitout View Post
Chapparel has 166,000 sq. ft. of display area. Careful though, you could walk out with a hell of a lot more than just
boots!
Only if I ride out there with the side cases on! Thankfully I dont need a helmet or jacket.

I am going to take a quick look at the local Cycle Gear before riding all the way out there though.

If anybody knows a place closer to Ventura CA that would be great.

I have been through a ton of dual sport boot threads, there are lots of great suggestions on boots, many are too expensive right now though. Santa wont be bringing boots, this one is on me.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Just my recent experience but I ordered a pr of the Gaerne Adventure boots in sz. 11 (Euro 46) and they were too snug. This was with (thin) cheap white socks, not boot socks and w/out the Gaerne insole insert in. I normally wear between a 10.5 and 11 depending on shoe.

Decided after more research that I wanted to try the Sidi Adventure Rain boot, it's size is reported a 11.5 (also Euro 46) and it fits comfortably with thick socks right from the start (snug but a little wear will take care of that).

So, with my 1 shoe data point I would say the Gaerne run a 1/2 (US) size smaller than Sidi and slightly narrower too.

TTFWIW
Old 12-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
My Gaerne Oiled Balanced cost more than $200, but after a full season of street an dual-sport, I find that they are excellent, comfortable for riding and walking. No signs of wear (scuffs, but nothing that counts).

If I lost them, I would buy the same again tomorrow.

Fit is wide, and true to size.

Not mine (photo credit to Kobukan), but this is what mine look like after a season:

Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
love my balance oiled as well.
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Really like my Balance Oiled too.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,720
I have Balance Oiled too. Nice boot, but very soft. Comfortable for sure for walking, but I think my old Sidi Discovery boots are more protective.

I tried on the Gaerne boot you pictured. It is also very comfy and maybe a little lighter then the Balance models. I went for the Oiled Balance because thought it was more protective. However, like I said, they turned out very soft after a little use. But I can and have walked in them all day. They feel like any work boot.

A nice feature the G-Adventure boot has over the Balance is the shift pad. Sidi has that too. Balance doesn't and my knurled shifter is doing a job on the boot.

Another boot you might want to look at is the Alpinestars Scout. Similar price point and waterproof.

What I do typically is try on any boot from a given Mfg to measure their sizing. It can even be a MX race boot. Once I find the one that fits best, I order the boot I want from that Mfg. Both Sidi and Gaerne are Euro 43 for me (US size 9-9.5).
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote