Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
I think it's kinda funny...hipsters are going nuts for cafe racers. Old, underpowered bikes with crappy suspension. They spend into 5 figures restoring and tricking them out. Simply to sit out in front of Starbucks in West LA...

Ducati makes a modern cafe racer that is a state-of-the-art machine...and can't sell enough to keep the line in production.

Strange world...
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
optimum_malarky OP
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
I go around and around with this one. I love the look of the Triumph line -- Bonnies, Scramblers, Thruxs -- but I just want more motor, more performance. I tried the Thunderbird Sport, but didn't connect with it, especially with the S3 in my garage. Maybe the sport classics aren't the way to go...

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #18
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I'd suggest the GT if you like the looks of the SportClassic but hate the position. I've done a couple multi-day rides on my GT (to Lake Placid,NY and Deal's Gap, from Ohio) with an aftermarket windshield, and the position was just fine. It's no Goldwing, but anybody who buys one of these knows that.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #19
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
Been loving the looks of the Ducati Sportclassic 1000 recently, but only read about how uncomfortable the bike is. Anyone owned and modified one to make it less of a torture rack? I know about the GT 1000, but there's something about the SC1000 that speaks to me a little more. Then again, I don't know if Ducati is even making these bikes anymore...
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #20
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster View Post
Yeah, I know, but figured it was worth pointing out. From photos, I think, the GT doesn't have quite the sexhay that the SC does, but I do still get a lot of admiring questions for my GT from everyone from mohawk-helmeted CBR riders to greybeards on vintage Harleys. To me, it's got enough of the cafe-styling of the SC with much better ergonomics.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #21
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Buy the GT

Quote:
I go around and around with this one. I love the look of the Triumph line -- Bonnies, Scramblers, Thruxs -- but I just want more motor, more performance. I tried the Thunderbird Sport, but didn't connect with it, especially with the S3 in my garage. Maybe the sport classics aren't the way to go...
It really depends on what your purpose for the bike is. Just for in-town riding only and such, yes, the SC is a sexy beast, but it's limited greatly in other applications. Warts and all, the GT is absolutely the best motorcycle I've ever owned and truly the best all around street going bike I've ever driven. Get the GT, you will not be disappointed. I have touring bars, Hepco-Becker luggage, touring shield, comfort seat, steering damper, and Termis. I can basically go anywhere anytime on mine. No offense, I've driven the Bonnies and Thruxtons - great and fine motorcycles - but except for the retro moniker they share, these bikes do not even belong in the same comparison class with the GT. You can find a barely used GT for less money than a new Bonnie, and you'll get way more motor, better chasis, better brakes, more comfort, capability, and character. But obviously, I've got a bias streak about a mile wide
Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,379
Quote:
Been loving the looks of the Ducati Sportclassic 1000 recently, but only read about how uncomfortable the bike is. Anyone owned and modified one to make it less of a torture rack? I know about the GT 1000, but there's something about the SC1000 that speaks to me a little more. Then again, I don't know if Ducati is even making these bikes anymore...
I would stay away from the GT unless you plan on replacing the suspension. It is about the cheapest setup on any modern Ducati. You can put helibars on the SC that pull the bars back about an inch, raise them a bit and change the angle (the really bad part about any ducati stock bars). You can also pull the pins in the stock bars and raise them up about 3/4". I passed up a new Paul Smart back in 2007 and am still kicking myself. Get the newest duck you can afford, more reliable and a greater parts availability.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #23
runpasthefence
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I just went through this very same issue and ended up buying a 2009 Sport 1000s.

I'd read all of the reviews and opinions that said the bike is a torture rack. This is my second road bike, and my first was a modern Triumph Bonneville.

First, keep in mind I'm 25 years old, 5'8", and have a 29" inseam.

So, I finally made up my mind that I'd jump in head first and buy one without riding or sitting on one. The bike was delivered almost a month ago while I was still overseas.

Anyway, I've been riding the bike for a few weeks and I'm happily surprised how comfortable I am on it. I'd bought taller clip on risers and 7* handle bars because I was anticipating an extremely uncomfortable riding position, but I still haven't put them on. I will eventually put the risers on, but I could totally live with the current riding position.

I find the seat uncomfortable. It is unreasonably wide, making the bike feel much taller than it already is. Having a 29" inseam makes this a pain at stop lights, but I'll likely have a custom seat made soon. Of course, if you aren't short you likely won't notice it.
Also, the seat is awful for two up riding...another reason I'll be making a custom one.

Another comfort issue for me is power delivery. There are solutions here, but I find the throttle unreasonably snatchy. This can be hard on the hands, wrists, and crotch as if you're not used to the nature of the throttle your junk will likely be forced into the tank under unexpected rapid deceleration.

On the Sport vs. GT argument....go with what turns you on. The GT didn't do it for me either. I like the fuel tank, clip ons, seat, and fairing on my 1000s better than any GT I'd seen. Furthermore, GTs come with steel wheels and coming from a Bonneville, that was something that I was trying to avoid.
The naked Sport1000 has a lot of options for raising the clip ons or even adding a true handlebar like the GT. The Paul Smart and 1000s models have limited room for adjustment due to the fairing.

My 1000s is exactly what I wanted and better (more comfortable) than I expected. Of course, your best bet is to find one and ride one. I'm not sure how I could justify a Sport 1000 with a Triple in the stable either...I'd imagine the Triple is more comfy and a better performer to boot.

...and because everyone likes pics even if they're iphone quality

runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,092
I am convinced that any bike if it moves you enough, can be made comfortable.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #25
optimum_malarky OP
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
What is a good source for locating a late model sport 1000? (besides craigslist)

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #26
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
What is a good source for locating a late model sport 1000? (besides craigslist)
ducati.ms?
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
OBCPO
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Yes

Howdy,
Just saw this thread. I have a Ducati Sport 1000s and I modified the bars and fairing to raise the bars up by two inches. Link to video below, but if that link doesnt work, its on ytube under Ducati Sport 1000S bar risers

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=zknqoY4OqEs
OBCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #28
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenpalsie View Post
yep, just eat some valiums or alot of asprins , youll be fine. or maybe take up yoga and get real flexable

LOL, been there, done that!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #29
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
I go around and around with this one. I love the look of the Triumph line -- Bonnies, Scramblers, Thruxs -- but I just want more motor, more performance. Maybe the Triumph classic twins aren't the way to go...
This is exactly where I was. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Thruxton and swap in a 270 crank motor from a Scrambler or Speedmaster and then build up the motor for more power. But it takes some $$$ just to get into the 75 hp range. After renting one and putting 250 miles on it I realized I wanted more. It's a pretty capable bike in stock form, but to get it where I wanted (power, suspension, brakes,) was going to take quite a bit of $$$ kicking it up into another price bracket and I was still going to have a 5 speed transmission no matter what.

So after the ride I looked around some more and decided the Ducati Sport 1000 was the way to go, nearly perfect in stock form...... except the bars.

Here's the bike I ended up buying, it's a 2009.

Quote:
Been loving the looks of the Ducati Sportclassic 1000 recently, but only read about how uncomfortable the bike is. Anyone owned and modified one to make it less of a torture rack?
So I've been looking for solutions. I'm thinking to go with Convertibars adjustable clipons. What I like about these compared to the tube bar solution is the massive adjustability. I've been down the road of trying to find bars with just the right bend before. One of the key features on the Convertibars I like is the ability to adjust the angle of the bars using the special angled bore collet and altering the position front to rear in addition to the height.

Here's a pretty good video of them on YouTube.

Here's what they look like on a Sport 1000

SpeedyMoto also makes their Tall Boy clipons which I believe add about 1" in height over the SC 1000 clipons (which are about 2" taller than the S model) and do offer angle adjustment.

The other option you have is to either modify the top triple clamp to accept the GT1000 bar risers or buy a top triple clamp and risers from a GT1000 and go with a tubular handlebar like this GT.

Here's a Sport 1000 I found with the tube bar conversion which inspired me to purchase this bike.

I plan to add a small flyscreen like the on the bike above.

The thing is, if you like the Cafe Racer style this bike is very hard to beat overall. The engine is fabulous, the suspension is modern, and it looks like sex on wheels.

If you want even better suspension it's an easy upgrade and won't look out of place on the bike. My bike has the fully adjustable forks off a Monster which slip right in. There are several triple clamps on the market to allow you to upgrade to later Ducati or Ohlins forks if you want and several options for the rear shocks. You can lace in some Alpina tubeless rims and you're right in there with current tech.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #30
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
That sport 1000 with the bars is a stunner.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote