Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #76
LTFD
n00b

Oddometer: 8
OK.... The "Explorer" is not the lid for me. First, it just wasn't a good fit for my melon, but more importantly however (since everyone doesn't have the same shape head) the lack of a good way to close the shield without getting your fingers on the viewing area (as mentioned earlier) turned out to be a showstopper.

Does anyone have any thoughs on another budget DS helmet the "Fly Trekker"..?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #77
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTFD View Post
OK.... The "Explorer" is not the lid for me. First, it just wasn't a good fit for my melon, but more importantly however (since everyone doesn't have the same shape head) the lack of a good way to close the shield without getting your fingers on the viewing area (as mentioned earlier) turned out to be a showstopper.

Does anyone have any thoughs on another budget DS helmet the "Fly Trekker"..?
Take a look at this one, the latest clone to enter the market:

It's the Cyber Helmets UX-32, WITH the sunshield already installed AND only $85
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...s-ux-32-helmet

So there is the Fly Trekker, AFX FX-39, MSR Xpedition M-13, and now this UX-32 ALL these helmets are virtually identical. SOMEONE never got the exclusive patent rights. I don't think I've seen this many of the same helmet from different companys before.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #78
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 597
That UX32 might be the same as the Bilt, but the Bilt is a different lid from the Fly and the AFX. If the Bilt doesn't fit you try either the AFX or the Fly (neither of these fit me at all! the Bilt is right for my noggin).

S1 (still liking mine)
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #79
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
That UX32 might be the same as the Bilt, but the Bilt is a different lid from the Fly and the AFX. If the Bilt doesn't fit you try either the AFX or the Fly (neither of these fit me at all! the Bilt is right for my noggin).

S1 (still liking mine)
The UX-32 IS DIFFERENT then the BILT. I never implied it was the same. That is what he asked for, since the BILT didn't fit him right. . I offered up the Cyber and the other 3 similar brands. BTW The MSR Large was too tight for MY melon but the AFX Large fits just right Everyone is different.. Some more than others
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #80
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i tried on helmets today and i usually wear a xl. i tried the built xl and it was a little snug but ok, then i tried the xxl and it felt tighter for some reason, then i tried another xxl and it felt better than the other xxl. so i guess the fitment could be weird on them. then i tried on a fx39 xl and it was way bigger than the built xl and xxl.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #81
ADVjoetekk
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I picked this up a few days ago, just finished a ride from SF to LA yesterday.

First impressions:

- Nice nice snug fit. Comfy.

- On the freeway, it was definitely quiet'r than the AFX FX-39DS.

- In the rain, the fog was minimal (usually at a stoplight, which a simple crack-open solves)

- It's a little tough to open/close the main windscreen... which I guess is a good thing for keeping it shut tight.

- The inner sunscreen is handy, but it doesn't come down far enough in my opinion (needs another inch)

- I miss the quick-release chin strap of the AFX, these old-style straps are just dumb to deal with.

- I got a white one, don't care for the BILT logo on the visor and back... but whatever (slap an ADV sticker on it).

Overall, it's a great value for a $99 buy. But I still got a one good eye on an Airoh... :)

Joe.

"Life Happens"
ADVjoetekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #82
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I've been considering buying a dual sport helmet for awhile now and when these went on sale a month ago or more, I knew I'd probably end up getting one. So, I went to my closest CG to try on my usual medium and while it wasn't bad I always check out the next size smaller in helmets just to get the tight fit. Turns out I really needed a small in these! I normally wear a medium in Arai and the snugness of this Bilt helmet is making me wonder if I should really be in a small Arai?!?

Anyway, since I'm military I bought mine through AAFES and got an extra 10% discount off the already low price, making mine $89. However, I had to buy a couple small items that I needed anyway, to get it up past the shipping minimum to get free shipping. I've had it on for the last hour and this thing feels comfortable and snug with no pressure points- just the way a helmet should fit. The only thing that is weird to me is the lack of padding over the ears. I suppose that's for folks who like to wear headphones while they ride?!? Or maybe so they can hear their buddies talk to them on the trail??? Regardless, I like padding over my ears and will try to rig up something in that area, along with using earplugs like I always do. One concern I do have is that I wear glasses and the glasses don't fit in the usual place in this helmet. They sit a bit high on my face and don't rest on my ears, along with riding just below my eyebrows. I think I'm ok with that, but it would be nice if my glasses would fit where they're supposed to on my face. Usually I wear contacts anyway, so this isn't a showstopper for me.

I have yet to test it out on the road, but since I'm already prepared for the fact that it'll never be as quiet as my Arai Vectors, I'm only concerned about the fit and for me it's a great fit!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #83
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Put a chin skirt on mine I used one from an hjc helmet.
Any particular model ? Got any pictures of it installed ?

I'm going to retire my AFX to bush use and grab one of these for my mostly-road days. My AFX needs some new pivot hardware and maybe a new gasket because I can't get any of my shields for for it to fit properly anymore and the lack of a D-ring is keeping me from being able to lock it up easily.
Any idea how easy it is to change the interior and/or exterior shields ?
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #84
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i been using the afx 37 and liked it but it is old so i bought the explorer yesterday and love it! i usually wear a xl but had to get the xxl in the explorer. it fits perfect, very comfy.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #85
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
At the CG yesterday and was there to see the $99 Adventure helmet. Well I found a big pile Bilt Explorer's at the front of the store. Looking for a White but had mostly Silver so checked my normal size of large. My head is more oval than oblong, and the large was impossible to get on. Tried the xl and settled on the xxl as it was the only one that my cheek's did not feel like a chipmonk.

Took it home and slipped it on several more times and it just was not a good fit. The xxl was way too deep for my head shape. With further inspection the top vent would only open on one side. The trim between helmet and pad on the left side was not set in place and kept popping away from the placement groove.

I could go on but I'll stop by saying this is not the one for me.

Hope my "2 cents" is helpful...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #86
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 767
went and tried one on also. Had to go up a size from large (oneal dirt and shoei street) to the xl in the bilt. Padding was really thin, way thinner than i figured. i love the look of it, and don't see a need for a tab to lift the shield. there is a large lip on it that i didn't have a problem using. I didn't like the way the padding put pressure points on my head. I think it could break in, but i would be fighting through it just for a look. I felt like the drop down shield could be darker also. it was pretty light. My dark smoke on the shoei is way darker, probably double. I think its still a good buy for $99 but i wouldn't spend any more on it.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #87
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Bought one last night. I got mine in silver, was marked down to $99.99 and I bargained another 10% off because of a small smudge probably from rubbing against another helmet on the shelf.

Had an AFX FX39 prior and this helmet seems every bit as good. Fit is better, but it doesn't have that nifty ratchet strap. Does have the sun shield though, anxious to see if that's worth anything or is just a novelty.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #88
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Re: Bilt Adventure Helmet... I bought one about two months ago now, it's my first DS helmet. I was at the local CG for one of their Bike Nights. It was on sale for 99.99, I wanted matte black, but they were out of stock, I hemmed and hawed... the salesman gave me a 20% off on the spot, so I took home a medium pearl white, yes!

I wear a medium Shoei or Arai, and this one fit me well. I like them on the tight side when new, after a few months they always break in perfect for me, so far so good with the Bilt. On a naked bike, it's as quiet (or as noisy, depends on your point of view) as my Shoei Multitec, and definitely fogs way less than my Multitec. Best $80 I've spent.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #89
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
My review on the BILT Helmet and Pants

Just got my set. Heres my review So I bought the Pants and the helmet and went and did a 500 mile trip that following weekend and see how it does. I also purchased the pants too.

The Explorer Helmet
purchased for $100 in flat black. Size small (don't laugh I like my helmets nice and snug)
After purchasing the helmet I rode home with it on right out of the box. It did ok. Top speed reached was pry 55 mph. I had plenty of vision and a nice wide view which I liked but that comes with the dual sport helmet style. With the visor up or down I didn't notive much pulling or pushing and with it being very light weight it was comfortable.

Explorer Pants
Purchased for $150 Black in color size 34
The pants fit well only wearing a pair of jeans I had to try on a few sizes and use the bike to see how far I could lift my legs. From size 32 I could not lift my leg more than a foot high. bumped to size 34 and 36 and I had full mobulity. the down fall I found is the tightning around the waist. Not much to adjust and only uses velco and not a lot of it. for a nice secure fit. It was fairly comfortable and fit well but could use some more padding around the butt area.

Now for the 500 mile test.
Left the house early in the am. Tempurature was 45 degrees and now I can really tell where I have air flow. Getting on the highway and cruizing at 70-80 mph I didn't notice much buffering but it does get a little noisy. When turning to the left or right I could feel a air flow come up my neck and flow up behind my ear. And if I stuck my head up a little higher from the stock GSA windshield it would kinda wanna push me back in my seat. with the visor up I notice a small pocket of air infront of my face that kinda just twirls around. For the fold down sun shade it does it's job and the push buttom spring release for it to pop back in the helmet was really nice with having gloves on. The main visor has a stiff spring to keep the visor from being pushed down with the wind and you can actually position it anywhere you want. But the downfall is if it's cold out might wanna leave it cracked a tad bc it will fog up on you. For that sun visor lid there are three bolts that bolt on this cover trim piece on my helmet after 500 miles i lost one of those bolts and the side would rattle at 50 mph and was extremly annoying. so I would recommend removing that and then glueing it back down and lock tight on the three small bolts. Later that day I did some off roading. Had plenty of visabilty and didn't have any issues with my head not being able to turn. The helmet was light so you don't notice the weight either. Up, down left right and in circles I could move very freely. For the price of the helmet and some small minor upgrades I'm going to keep it. With a 5 year warranty on the entire thing you can't beat the price. I would also like if they had fluorescent colors for safty

For the 500 mile pant test. at 45 degrees I stayed very warm and had no breeze or cold air flow anywhere. I stayed very warm and comfortable. With a high of 65 degrees that day I didnt' notice the weather. I had easy air vents to access if needed. From getting on and off the bike I had no issues stretching my legs or getting caught up. Getting the lower pants legs over the boots were a little more difficult than I was expecting. For most of the day I was fine till about 300 miles. I started getting Monkey butt. Could use some more butt padding. (on a standard GSA seat but we all already know the stock BMW seats already suck so lets not go there) When I reached home it was back to the low 40's and I hadn't even noticed the temp drop in the pants. They held in heat well and kinda felt like I was wrapped in a warm snuggy. The pockets are nice and deap with zippers but the cargo pockets are kinda useless. To small for anything other than a small cell phone. The only main con I would point out would be sizing is a bit odd and I would recommend trying on a few pairs. They make two different styles and the sizing between the two arn't the same. Only upgrades the pants could use are bigger cargo pockets and or a clear map pocket on the legs. I would also want something other than small strips of velco for the waist adjustments maybe add some snaps for if your going to be more active so you pants don't fall down if your standing up really long. And I would deff add more butt padding. Coming in two color black and Tan. But could use some reflective parts atleast somewhere for visability. I was told I'm really hard to see with the black pants on.

I plan on keeping both and using both and let the real test begin and lets see how they last after a few months and a few years. Its great when everything is new out of the box I'll review again in 2 years.
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #90
staudio
Time for a ride...

Oddometer: 179
just an fyi...

on saturday (12/22) got a flyer from Cycle Gear in the mail....had the Bilt Explorer Discovery Helmet listed at 69.99 until 3/6/13

It looks like the Bilt Explorer Discovery Helmet (69.99 according the the flyer/mailer) is not the same as the Bilt Explorer Helmet which they have listed at $99 on their website.

Not sure what the difference between the two is

staudio screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 09:31 AM
staudio is offline   Reply With Quote