Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #76
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,839
Jerry, I just slip a jackstand under the side of the bike in the garage and use that with the sidestand to work on either the rear wheel or front wheel.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #77
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Ah

Now I get it. Those posts have nothing to do with the GW250, just people not agreeing with each other.

"X reason is not valid to me because I could do it my way..."

Carry on then...

The GW250 has a 6 speed trans. I suspect that will make it a little more highway friendly and maybe not as buzzy at those speeds compared to a TU with a 5 speed. Maybe a demo day will come around in 4 months...
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #78
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Jerry, I just slip a jackstand under the side of the bike in the garage and use that with the sidestand to work on either the rear wheel or front wheel.
I have also done it that way. At home. But it is difficult to carry a jackstand or jack along with you, especially on a small bike. In your garage you can even use a bike lift, and get both wheels off the ground. On dirt bikes and lightweight dual sport bikes, I just lift them up onto a 5 gallon bucket. But again, that would not work very well on the side of the road or trail.

As for tube type tires, they make absolutely no sense at all to me on a street bike, and since wire spoked rims (ala BMW R-GS) capable of using tubeless tires are available, it makes even less sense. You can have wire spoke wheels AND tubeless tires. And then there is the venerable centerstand, which bikes had for decades that worked great. I will not ride a nice bike with no way to fix a flat tire other than laying it on it's side.

Part of this is indeed just an argument about tubeless tires vs tube type tires, and a centerstand vs no centerstand. I know how I feel about it, and so does everyone else. So for everyone who wants to travel long distances on a bike with tube type tires and no centerstand, all I can do is wish you the best of luck. You know the possible consequences, and I assume you are prepared to deal with them. Debate over.

Back to the GW250. I have yet to actually see one, or sit on one, much less ride one. But I have high hopes for this bike. It seems to meet all my requirements for a small street bike, other than places to carry stuff, but I'll figure that out somehow. It will come down to how comfortable it is for someone my size. It does not need to be fast. I put 20,000 highway miles on a Honda Rebel. It was a great small bike, just a bit too small for me to fit on properly. The Nighthawk 250 was way better, just as reliable, and came with an optional centerstand. But it is no longer available. I will not buy anything else until I have had a chance to check out the GW250. If it fits, I will buy it. If not, there is currently no other 250 out there I want.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #79
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have also done it that way. At home. But it is difficult to carry a jackstand or jack along with you, especially on a small bike. In your garage you can even use a bike lift, and get both wheels off the ground. On dirt bikes and lightweight dual sport bikes, I just lift them up onto a 5 gallon bucket. But again, that would not work very well on the side of the road or trail.
I have a lightweight aluminum prop that I carry with me for this purpose. It works beautifully. But I used to not carry that either...I would just stick the hard luggage under the swingarm for chain maintenance, and just make do for tire problems. It's just not a serious problem. I like tube-type tires because they free me from outside assistance...I can get the tires off the rim without a tire machine and I can patch tubes independently of outside assistance on the road. For this reason, I prefer tube-type tires.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #80
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
A couple years ago I had a Kawasaki KLR650 and rode the heck out of that bike. Rode year round rain or shine in the Seattle/Tacoma area in Wa. State. Finally wore out the original tires. Bought new tires an replaced them in my garage the old fashioned way....with 3 tire irons, talcum powder, and window cleaner (as a bead lube--works fine) on the garage floor. For the rear I used the sidestand and a very small bottle jack under the r/side footpeg bracket. When I did the front I think I just used again the sidesatnd and moved the small bottle jack forward under the engine.
I've seen where guys made a device made of a threaded steel tube and redi rod to use in conjunction with the sidestand to get the rear off the ground. A gizmo like this could be packed away pretty easily and taken on trips.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJvQ_Uipgw

And this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZOdhbmALbM

Looks like the first one, the PackJack sells for like $32.95. Not bad for some peace of mind. I bet someone handy with a welder could make up something that would work on the front.

I actually rode all over the place and never got a flat while street riding.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #81
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I have a lightweight aluminum prop that I carry with me for this purpose. It works beautifully. But I used to not carry that either...I would just stick the hard luggage under the swingarm for chain maintenance, and just make do for tire problems. It's just not a serious problem. I like tube-type tires because they free me from outside assistance...I can get the tires off the rim without a tire machine and I can patch tubes independently of outside assistance on the road. For this reason, I prefer tube-type tires.
Not sure what you mean by "outside assistance" When I have had flats on tubeless tires, I just stuck a plug in the tire, aired it up, and was on my way. With tube type tires, you have to remove the tire from the wheel, and to do that, you first have to remove the wheel from the bike. Most of my flats on tube type tires required new tubes, most tubes pop like a balloon when punctured, causing a big rip in the tube, or else whatever punctured it wiggles around in the tire before you get stopped, and cuts the tube up.

Some bikes are virtually impossible to get the wheel off of, especially the rear wheel. Ever try to remove the rear wheel from a Kawasaki 800 Drifter? Even on my Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which has tubeless tires, removing the rear wheel requires putting the bike on the centerstand, removing the right side muffler (to get the axle out) removing both shocks, to drop the swingarm down, and removing the final drive gearcase, as well as the usual rear brake rod and torque link arm. Even after doing all that, you can just barely wiggle the rear wheel out from between the swingarm and out from under the rear fender. When changing a tire at home, I put a 2x4 under the centerstand to give me more room to get the wheel out.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #82
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Not sure what you mean by "outside assistance" When I have had flats on tubeless tires, I just stuck a plug in the tire, aired it up, and was on my way. With tube type tires, you have to remove the tire from the wheel, and to do that, you first have to remove the wheel from the bike. Most of my flats on tube type tires required new tubes, most tubes pop like a balloon when punctured, causing a big rip in the tube, or else whatever punctured it wiggles around in the tire before you get stopped, and cuts the tube up.
Most punctures I've encountered I've been able to patch. But I carry spare inner tubes anyway. It isn't any problem to take the wheel off and break the bead on one side to get the inner tube out.

I don't trust plugs in tubeless tires, so once it's punctured, I usually throw it out. Then I have to find someone with a tire machine to get a new tire on. I like tube-type tires because I can do it all myself.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #83
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

I currently have 3 plugs in the ME880 on the back of my Vulcan 750, and the tire is only about 2/3 worn out. I run tires until the wear bars show, unless they are badly damaged, which can happen to any tire. I also have Ride-On in the rear tire, so there may be even more punctures in it, but I doubt it. I actually found and removed objects from the 3 punctures I plugged. I found 2 of them while checking the tires at home, it may have been ridden hundreds of miles with the object stuck in the tire without going flat.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #84
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
If you go to cycletrader.com and do a search for Suzuki GW250 you will come up with 20some dealers. They all say call for price. One even says "On sale now". But I get the feeling none of them really have this bike in stock. So, how the hell can they say on sale now if they don't have any?? Bait and switch or what??

I hope someone in this thread that is the first one to actually find one at a dealer will let the rest of us know.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #85
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Apache Motorcycles, which has 3 dealers in the Phoenix area has them shown on their site. The ad says "call for quote" I called and talked to the sales manager, and he didn't even know what I was talking about. I told him they were on his site. He checked the site, and said that was the first he had ever heard of them. Then he put me on hold for a minute, went and talked to someone, came back and said they are supposed to be arriving at some point in the future, but he couldn't tell me when, what the price might be, or any other information about them. He said he would call me when he found out something. This is an existing bike, it has been sold in other countries, but it will have to be DOTed and EPAed before it can be sold here.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #86
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,992
Got a nasty big flat on the Lifanhaha about 180 miles from home. Yup no center stand and spoked wheels.

Should I have listened to Jerry?

I guess I didn't, but I did fix that flat in a Walmart's parking lot, in between rain showers, with a patchkit and a borrowed shopping cart to hold up one side of the bike.

Rode that tube for two years afterwards, never leaked and it's in my stack of backup tubes, just because...

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #87
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
If you go to cycletrader.com and do a search for Suzuki GW250 you will come up with 20some dealers. They all say call for price. One even says "On sale now". But I get the feeling none of them really have this bike in stock. So, how the hell can they say on sale now if they don't have any?? Bait and switch or what??
That's how websites are done.

I've just added 40 different indoor exercise bikes to a webshop that
I update/maintain, but the owner has no intention of having more then
3 of them on the showroom floor.

At least they let me do the "not currently in stock" and "order only"
for the rest of them, but most couldn't care less.

Having everything on the web with no essential info (like the GW thing)
will make most people visit the shop, call, or e-mail the dealer, and from
a salesman point of view, that's a good thing, since you're likely to get
a LOT more information then you needed, and maybe make a purchase
based on that.

There's a reason for everything.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #88
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Now that's funny
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #89
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
tire plug confidence

2nd trackday, get a chain link in my back tire. ask someone what to do, someone tells me a guy who owns a tire business is in the paddock, ask him. He gives me plug kit, says it will be all good, instead of selling me a tire from his truck at the track. If a nice guy like that tells me this over selling me a tire from his own business, then I trust his advice.
I plug tire, go back on track for 4 more sessions of tire frying action, tire lasted another 9 months or so just fine.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #90
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
That's how websites are done.

I've just added 40 different indoor exercise bikes to a webshop that
I update/maintain, but the owner has no intention of having more then
3 of them on the showroom floor.

At least they let me do the "not currently in stock" and "order only"
for the rest of them, but most couldn't care less.

Having everything on the web with no essential info (like the GW thing)
will make most people visit the shop, call, or e-mail the dealer, and from
a salesman point of view, that's a good thing, since you're likely to get
a LOT more information then you needed, and maybe make a purchase
based on that.

There's a reason for everything.
They will have one on the floor, and probably several in the warehouse. They just don't know when, or how much they will cost.
1980 Puch moped