Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #26491
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
Used to be a climber - type...now I am "Gravitationally Challenged"

Still, I always loved the challenge of the climb and the thrill of the descents both mtn and road.
i was never a great climber, but worked at getting better at it; first for conservation of energy on tour, then later for the joy of descending.

strafing a good twisty canyon on the moto is fun, as is a good alpine ski run... a good rip down a mountain road on a quality road bike is my favorite combination of those things. spending half an hour (or more) coming back down the trail on the side of a mountain you spent all day riding up is a close second.

anyone talking about momentum to get up hills doesn't understand what the kind of climbing we're talking about is... as evidenced by the people here who are confusing "steep" with "elevation".

but clearly, there's some misunderstanding on some folks' part about climbing; as someone who was never more than adequate at it but could do it on a loaded touring bike for days on end, i can attest that lactic acid buildup and exhaustion can all be dealt with by gearing, technique and training.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #26492
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Don't get me wrong, that sounds awesome! We just don't have that around here. There's a trail in Vermont I rode a couple weeks ago, tough climb for about 30 minutes, feels like you're breathing glass.... then you reach the top and ride for about 2 miles on relatively flat singletrack, weaving through towering pines on super loamy/smooth soil. It was epic, the flow through there will bring me back in the spring for sure. If I'm able to, I'd love to check out Santos at some point. Until then, it's roots, hills and rocks around here.
Here's a trail you might like if you make it down here.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #26493
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I gotta get me one of those Go Pro's and video some of the technical trails we have here in CT. If Gatorback is one you'd never ride, you wouldn't like it here. There aren't many places where you can relax. Good for skills honing though! A good Orthopedic is a plus too!

I'm a CT rider too. You been to Case mtn? That's where I ride 90% of the time. When I say MTB I'm thinking shenipsit trail. I'm not trying to wave the ol' hog, but Gatorback looks like a blast.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #26494
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
i was never a great climber, but worked at getting better at it; first for conservation of energy on tour, then later for the joy of descending.

strafing a good twisty canyon on the moto is fun, as is a good alpine ski run... a good rip down a mountain road on a quality road bike is my favorite combination of those things. spending half an hour (or more) coming back down the trail on the side of a mountain you spent all day riding up is a close second.

anyone talking about momentum to get up hills doesn't understand what the kind of climbing we're talking about is... as evidenced by the people here who are confusing "steep" with "elevation".

but clearly, there's some misunderstanding on some folks' part about climbing; as someone who was never more than adequate at it but could do it on a loaded touring bike for days on end, i can attest that lactic acid buildup and exhaustion can all be dealt with by gearing, technique and training.
+1

My old training routes had climbs 20+ miles long. Knowing where I was most efficient (mostly using a HR monitor) and gearing down accordingly allowed me to keep climbing as long as I kept eating and drinking. I might not have been the fastest climber on the mountain but I could wear my training buddies down by the time we reached the last big climb.

The fastest time I had doing the Assault on Mt Mitchell was the year I put a triple on my Vitus.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #26495
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
OK, What don't you like about that?
Everything.

Quote:
THAT is mountain biking! That trail looks awesome!
It looks awesome to YOU. To me, that type of trail is just a grueling, punishing ride. And like all the rest, it's worse in reality than it looks on video.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #26496
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Climbs for me vary between 30 seconds and 25 minutes to climb my local 'mountain'. Since I dont monitor my heart rate, I'd bet I used to max out my heart rate climbing as fast as I could. I've realized it's much more fun to slowup the climb a little and save more energy for the flatter/downhill sections later on in the ride. Needless to say, I'm not a very fast climber... but my Reign prefers the downhills anyways.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #26497
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It looks awesome to YOU. To me, that type of trail is just a grueling, punishing ride. And like all the rest, it's worse in reality than it looks on video.
Do you like riding road? I've been thinking of a road bike for the days when my spine says no.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #26498
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
I'm a CT rider too. You been to Case mtn? That's where I ride 90% of the time. When I say MTB I'm thinking shenipsit trail. I'm not trying to wave the ol' hog, but Gatorback looks like a blast.
My wife grew up in Manchester, and her brothers used to ride dirt bikes in Case. I would like to check it out sometime. I live near the shore, so ride Cockaponset in Chester, mostly. I would love to have a fast trail like Gatorback here! That does look like fun!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #26499
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you like riding road? I've been thinking of a road bike for the days when my spine says no.
I started out on a road bike but then I discovered mountain biking, which I think is a lot more fun. I still ride the road bike on occasion, but only to work on my endurance and pedaling technique.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #26500
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Small world! Lots of family grew up in Manchester. Let me know if you get up this way, I can point ya to some good stuff up there.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #26501
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Small world! Lots of family grew up in Manchester. Let me know if you get up this way, I can point ya to some good stuff up there.

Will do. It's nice to check out different places once in a while.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #26502
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
A friend want's me to do with him before I turn 50. I'm 44 now.

Trip of a lifetime, might hurt a bit though.

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #26503
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
Sorry Yak if ya think I have invaded your treehouse but I have been subscribed to this thread since 2008 off and on. Sometimes my inner cyclist gets the best of me and I just have to comment.
All are welcome here. My observation wasn't pointed in your direction anyhow.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #26504
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
A friend want's me to do with him before I turn 50. I'm 44 now.

Trip of a lifetime, might hurt a bit though.

Just a bit?

100 peaks? 10 straight days in the saddle? 120mi day? 13,000' of climbing each day?

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #26505
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
It's mountain biking, man. It's dirty, difficult, dangerous, but fun as hell. The hills suck, but are balanced by the descents. Many people agree apparently; look at the trend in 6" all mountain bikes. Tons of people like riding the difficult/dangerous stuff. I'm talking New England here, too.... think of Colorado/Utah/BC.....
Utah. Moab, Utah. So freakin' cool and different....and scary to think back on what I've ridden out there.

I'm still more scared on the side of a busy road though. That's dangerous.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: