Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuda View Post
Does the chain slap at speed but with the clutch in? You mentioned it slaps at zero torque which I take to mean not under a load. Maybe it is the pulse of engine firing that causes the chain to slap?

Just trying to wrap my head around it.
Perhaps I did not explain that correct..... I guess there are always torque as long as you are either holding a steady speed, or accelerating. Mine is only at steady speed. The moment I am accelerating... it disappears instantly....or if I let go just a little bit. So in short.... At steady speeds only. All gears.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
6.9 mm for the rear. This was eye balling it though as I couldn't find my calipers. Which must be with my lost right handed snips. It is probably 7mm though.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
6.9 mm for the rear. This was eye balling it though as I couldn't find my calipers. Which must be with my lost right handed snips. It is probably 7mm though.
Well... That shoots that one. Supersprox is 7.28mm wide..... Ohhhh well.

Erling
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Just found the beast, I have 7.23mm - 7.25 mm depending on where.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
I can't find the thread now ....

But one inmate here or on F800Riders was installing a tensioner that pushed the chain AWAY from the bottom of the swing arm - this would provide some extra insurance against slapping compared to tensioners that push up ... it does slightly reduce the "wrap angle" of the chain on the sprockets, but it can't be by much.....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuda View Post
Does the chain slap at speed but with the clutch in? You mentioned it slaps at zero torque which I take to mean not under a load. Maybe it is the pulse of engine firing that causes the chain to slap?

Just trying to wrap my head around it.
Just saw the first part of your Q's.... It does not do this with the clutch pulled.

Erling
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I can't find the thread now ....

But one inmate here or on F800Riders was installing a tensioner that pushed the chain AWAY from the bottom of the swing arm - this would provide some extra insurance against slapping compared to tensioners that push up ... it does slightly reduce the "wrap angle" of the chain on the sprockets, but it can't be by much.....
Yeppers.... I think I will just ignore it, until I make a unchainslapping device......

Erling
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Did you ever check for a tight spot?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Did you ever check for a tight spot?
Yep.... No tight spot. I almost thought there was, but it was the lube, as the desert went down to 19 deg. F. yesterday morning. A few links were held slightly bent. Both sprockets are true.

Erling
Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #25
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fitted a DID 525 VMX chain..... problem went away. Old chain was the one BMW fitted after the recall. It had no evidence of any stretch. Yay.....

Erling
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Maybe the auto-clutch has something to do with this. You mention "neutral torque", so the clutch may not be fully engaged like it would be if you were gassing it.

On the other hand if other people have had this issue without the auto-clutch, then it can't be the sole cause.
Mongo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo357 View Post
Maybe the auto-clutch has something to do with this. You mention "neutral torque", so the clutch may not be fully engaged like it would be if you were gassing it.

On the other hand if other people have had this issue without the auto-clutch, then it can't be the sole cause.
No. Auto clutch had no change..... I was slapping all over the last 500 miles. New chain did fix it. Stock chain had 4000 miles on it. It began with the supersprox/Woody's 18 inch tubeless combo. Nothing I did could make it go away. Something with the supersprox, and CZ stock chain..... Gone now anyway.....

Erling
Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #28
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
I fitted a DID Xring and the slap went away with the original sprockets. Total of 52000 on the chain, one really tight section about 6 inches long, and about a 3 inch section almost dead opposite.

My son had exactly the same thing happen on his ZX6, and I put on a very expensive DID chain with the original rear and new front sprocket and it's perfect again.

The chain had a couple of tight spots dead opposite each other.

I'd love to figure out why this happens. Two completely different maintenance profiles. I lube mine like mad, he hardly ever even looks at his. He got 40000kms out of the chain and I got probably the same before I just accepted the slapping. Both bikes have odd numbers of teeth on the front, and non divisible number of teeth on rear so there shouldn't be repetitive wear patterns that I can figure.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #29
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I fitted a DID Xring and the slap went away with the original sprockets. Total of 52000 on the chain, one really tight section about 6 inches long, and about a 3 inch section almost dead opposite.

My son had exactly the same thing happen on his ZX6, and I put on a very expensive DID chain with the original rear and new front sprocket and it's perfect again.

The chain had a couple of tight spots dead opposite each other.

I'd love to figure out why this happens. Two completely different maintenance profiles. I lube mine like mad, he hardly ever even looks at his. He got 40000kms out of the chain and I got probably the same before I just accepted the slapping. Both bikes have odd numbers of teeth on the front, and non divisible number of teeth on rear so there shouldn't be repetitive wear patterns that I can figure.
I am perplexed as well. Mine was fine, with no slapping, but as woody's 18 inch came with stock gear supersprox. That is when the slap began. I get a slap or two, but nothing like with the stock. I think that perhaps harmonics........

Erling
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #30
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Does the 18 have a bead lock? Out of balance will make the rear jiggle enough to make chain slap.

I fitted an 18 to one of my DRs and it was fine until I hit exactly the right speed...about 90kph, and it literally made the rear hop off the ground it oscillated so hard. I fitted a bead lock dead opposite the original and never had problems again.

I've had front wheels with bead locks do it, and I just remove the lock.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote