ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Chris,

I usually draw it out as a route. I have never used any auto-routing functions or routable maps (only using Mapsource 100K Topo) so when I draw a route, I just follow the bright purple line across the map on the GPS! Maybe this is too simple, but it seems to work OK for me. I'm referring to mostly off road here...not cross country on highways and interstates where I could see the auto-routing being a good feature. It seems that when I've tried to navigate by tracks that they are much harder to see on the screen than the bright, purple route. I am not using the turn-by-turn directions at all...just following the route/track line on the GPS map screen. I was just curious if there was something about using tracks that I haven't learned yet and could use in the future.
Sounds like you're using the route like a track. The GPS has that other screen designed for following a route, I've never used it though.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #47
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Are you using City Navigator or 24K or some map that auto-routes? Using 100K Topo, I've never had issues with routes doing strange things or recomputing on the unit. They seem to transfer to the GPS exactly the way I drew them on Mapsource. The maps on Mapsource aren't always accurate so sometimes the routes are off because of that, but that is no fault of the GPS or routes themselves.

I must have my GPS set up with simple functions. My screen never rotates at an upcoming turn, it only rotates when I turn the bike in a different direction.

I do mainly use CN on my computer and create auto-routes. Sometimes I have to use 24k Topos when the roads I want aren't in CN. I convert those routes to tracks for navigation.

Yes it is the autorouting that causes most of the problems. If you use 100k Topos, there is not much difference between tracks and the direct routing these maps use. My eyes are still not too bad and I can see the tracks if I pick a good color. But I have several friends who really need that thick magenta line. I understand some units like the 276 can treat the track like a route and put the thick line in. Autorouting will only allow 50 way or via points in a route. I learned this the hard way once. There is a much higher limit for direct routes.

There are some who advocate creating finely sampled direct routes using 100k Topos and using these to navigate. These will then of course show up with the magenta line when activated.

I tried this once because it seems like a good way to augment the 20 track limit in the 60. It worked well. Another advantage or disadvantage depending on how you look at it is the the "track" does not show up unless you activate it for navigation.

**Edit: I also know for a fact like NMTrailBoss that the 50 way/via point limit does not apply to Direct Routes. I have heard the limit is 256 but do not know that for a fact. The one time I tried it I had maybe 200.

wbbnm screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 03:57 PM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #48
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,097
The 100k maps do not support routes.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #49
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,755
So the "points" you guys are talking about with your route are actually considered waypoints, aren't they? If thats the case, isnt there a 1000 waypoint total limit for the unit?
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #50
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
So the "points" you guys are talking about with your route are actually considered waypoints, aren't they? If thats the case, isnt there a 1000 waypoint total limit for the unit?
When creating routes in Mapsource and drawing point to point, each click of the mouse creates a 'via point'. Via points are technically waypoints but you cannot rename or alter them like you can with regular waypoints and I don't believe they count towards the total waypoints limit for the unit.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #51
Raul Duke
DROC

Interesting! When you do not have a map showing in mapsource, it creates route points as waypoints, not via points. Show the map and they are via points. Go figure???

Thanks for the route processes you guys use, Im learning some new stuff here!
COHVCO
TPA
Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #52
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Understanding Routes
MapSource can generate a route from one location to one or more waypoints, addresses, intersections, or Points of Interest. MapSource shows routes as colored lines on the Graphic Map. Routes you select in the Routes tab or on the Graphic Map are highlighted in yellow and include arrows to show the direction of the route.
After you have created a route, you can use the Route Properties window to edit the route by adding, removing, or changing the order of the points along the route.

Route Tips:
  • You can create routes in MapSource or transfer them from a Garmin GPS device.
  • The points within a route are called called Vias. See Editing Route Properties for more information.
  • In addition to auto-routes (routes that follow streets and highways), MapSource allows you to create direct routes (straight line, "as the crow flies" routes). See Setting Route Preferences for more information.
  • MapSource generates a list of directions for each route. You can view and/or print this list by clicking the Directions tab in the Route Properties window. See Editing Route Properties for more information.
  • Routes appear in the Routes tab on the left side of the screen. You can save routes in a file on your computer. See Saving Your Data for more information.
For more information on routes, see the following topics:
Using the Routes Tab
Creating a Route Using the Route Tool
Creating a Route Using the Route Properties Window
Creating a Route to Selected Waypoints
Editing a Route
Viewing a Vertical Profile
Setting Route Preferences
Working with Avoidances
Raul, this was informative... however it seems that all the links go to your hard drive files and are not URL's ??? Is there a pointer to the online doc you were referring to? thanks.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #53
Raul Duke
DROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Raul, this was informative... however it seems that all the links go to your hard drive files and are not URL's ??? Is there a pointer to the online doc you were referring to? thanks.
This is directly from the installed Garmin Mapsource "help" file.
COHVCO
TPA
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #54
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
sent you a PM.

i have a 60csx and toggle among city nav (routable), 100k topo (non-routable), roads & rec (non-routable & great road coverage) and the free ones too.

i use routes at times and tracks at others. all depends on what i'm planning to ride and what roads are showing up the various maps.
booth are usefull! at times i also hand draw tracks in Google Earth and transfer to gps as it's visual only.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 01:45 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
Quote:
This is directly from the installed Garmin Mapsource "help" file.
if we all had access on ADV to local files on you computer you'd be in a world of computer security breach shit storm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #56
Raul Duke
DROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
if we all had access on ADV to local files on you computer you'd be in a world of computer security breach shit storm
COHVCO
TPA