ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #15961
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
JL Cycles right off the 59th st bridge in queens charges $75 a month.
THX, looking for something possibly walking distance/quick subway ride from 181st/Riverside Dr. where my new apt is. I'll look into JL, though. Might be a solution especially if they'll do weekly.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #15962
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocarsfast View Post
So I had a adventurous ride home last night that I would like to share, my normal commute has been BK to 10 miles from bear mtn area the last few weeks.

Lastnight was different though, first off it was raining nbd I had my rain gear so that doestnt stop me but when I was going over the BK bridge my high-beam went out, again nbd except my low-beam went out on Thursday going over the gwb and switching from high to low resulted in nothing since I never had time to change the bulb. So I'm trying to think of any place that might be open at 11:30PM that has a H4 bulb. Only place that I could think of was shell on 96th so on I went, It wasnt so bad without a headlight, but just before I got to 96th it started pouring heavy. Got to the gas station and they had nothing went to another, again with nothing then found a car-wash that was closed because of the rain, but people were there and let me get what I needed. It this point its still pouring and my socks are getting wet because I decided to get the ventilated boots instead of the water-proof version. On the on-ramp for the FDR I had to ride through about 6" of standing water. I made it to the Palisades pkwy and my toes are completely submerged in water inside my boots, I can feel it slosh around when I hit bumps or move my toes. Then its foggy on the pkwy like it has been the last couple of days so everyone is going slow. 10 miles up the pkwy I get passed by an Escalade holding his phone out the window recording me like he never saw a motorcycle before. Then my hands start to freeze but thats normal so I trek on and eventually make it home safe.

Sorry it was so long of a post but it took me nearly twice as long to get home, but I did make it home safe so it has a happy ending
Sounds familiar

I carry an extra bulb with me along with other parts. The rain/snow takes a toll on electrics. I would recommend a pair of Neos overshoe covers and waterproof mits with a wiper included in the thumb.... nothing worse than wet hands and feet in cold weather.

The fog has been pretty bad on the PIP, just be careful with those useless NJ drivers
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #15963
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I know of one person who passed an off-duty cop across a double yellow who decided to become on-duty to ticket him in beloved Westchester

Yeah, North Salem is NOT motorcycle friendly.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #15964
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Yeah, North Salem is NOT motorcycle friendly.
Yeah, when Marcus Dairy was open they used to do a bike only inspection check just past the balanced rock on Rt. 121 almost every Sun. for a while.

I got caught up there once passing on a double yellow. While I'm sitting there talking to him, a little old lady stops and tells the cop I passed her on a double yellow, pours it on like I was public enemy # 1.

Cop cracked up after she left, was kind enough not to give me a ticket.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #15965
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,570
Fuck North Salem!!!

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #15966
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
I got caught up there once passing on a double yellow. While I'm sitting there talking to him, a little old lady stops and tells the cop I passed her on a double yellow, pours it on like I was public enemy # 1.

I've been pulled over there for nothing more than being on two wheels.

Cop noticed my inspection or registration, don't recall which now, was up in a couple of days. He looked truly incapacitated by the frustration. He must have been seconds away from stomping his feet in a tantrum. It was like holding the doughnut just close enough to get the powdered sugar on his fingertips.

In retrospect that was a totally worthwhile stop. Wish I had video.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #15967
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Does anyone know of a cheap storage place in the Washington Heights area? I'm thinking of bringing out a more Manhattan-friendly bike (F650) and, although it will be easy to swap it out for the Monster in storage on 55th, I don't want to have to cough up another $200/mo for a place to put it when I'm out of town for a week or so at a time.
Have you looked for public storage places nearby? I rent one near my house for $60/month and its 8X8X4 fits 2 bikes easily. Also have you combed the area for a private garage? My first bike storage was me ringing a strangers bell and just asking if he would rent me some space. Worked out well for years until I moved.
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #15968
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocarsfast View Post
So I had a adventurous ride home last night that I would like to share, my normal commute has been BK to 10 miles from bear mtn area the last few weeks.

Lastnight was different though, first off it was raining nbd I had my rain gear so that doestnt stop me but when I was going over the BK bridge my high-beam went out, again nbd except my low-beam went out on Thursday going over the gwb and switching from high to low resulted in nothing since I never had time to change the bulb. So I'm trying to think of any place that might be open at 11:30PM that has a H4 bulb. Only place that I could think of was shell on 96th so on I went, It wasnt so bad without a headlight, but just before I got to 96th it started pouring heavy. Got to the gas station and they had nothing went to another, again with nothing then found a car-wash that was closed because of the rain, but people were there and let me get what I needed. It this point its still pouring and my socks are getting wet because I decided to get the ventilated boots instead of the water-proof version. On the on-ramp for the FDR I had to ride through about 6" of standing water. I made it to the Palisades pkwy and my toes are completely submerged in water inside my boots, I can feel it slosh around when I hit bumps or move my toes. Then its foggy on the pkwy like it has been the last couple of days so everyone is going slow. 10 miles up the pkwy I get passed by an Escalade holding his phone out the window recording me like he never saw a motorcycle before. Then my hands start to freeze but thats normal so I trek on and eventually make it home safe.

Sorry it was so long of a post but it took me nearly twice as long to get home, but I did make it home safe so it has a happy ending
i don't carry spare bulbs...you shouldn't have to, either.

you just shouldn't keep riding a bike (at night) that has already had one bulb go out...for this exact reason. murphy's law, bro.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #15969
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Yeah, when Marcus Dairy was open they used to do a bike only inspection check just past the balanced rock on Rt. 121 almost every Sun. for a while.

"officer, did you personally observe the violation?"

"no, your honor, a little old lady told me so"

"dismissed"

he wasn't being "kind enough"...he was doing his job professionally.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #15970
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,095
He pulled me over when he first saw me pass himself. She stopped after I had been pulled over to pile it on.

He had legitimate grounds to issue me a summons based on his own observation.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #15971
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
i don't carry spare bulbs...you shouldn't have to, either.

you just shouldn't keep riding a bike (at night) that has already had one bulb go out...for this exact reason. murphy's law, bro.
If you plan on riding in the rain/snow then I would recommend having some spare parts with you like bulbs. At least have a flashlight(small one) with you in caseyou need to tape it to the front of the bike.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #15972
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
If you plan on riding in the rain/snow then I would recommend having some spare parts with you like bulbs. At least have a flashlight(small one) with you in caseyou need to tape it to the front of the bike.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #15973
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Free 1990 RM125 part bike to a good home.

Bike is gone.

Ren20 screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 06:27 PM
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #15974
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
Free 1990 RM125 part bike to a good home.
Come pick it up please. I don't have place to store it anymore. otherwise I will junk it. I posted on CL for $100.

But it's free for ADVriders. or you could trade me some cool dr650 parts if that makes you feel better :) Either way, come pick it up!
Where are you located?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #15975
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Updated. It's in brooklyn
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote