Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #3571
JJLalas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
The small frame can take lots of luggage. I haven't tried hard-core offroading, but I do some gravel and dirt paths heavy loaded with 2 big Junior panniers (40L each) and I haven't had any issue whatsoever.
JJLalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #3572
JJLalas
Adventurer

And by the way, some folks in Paris haven't waited for Guzzi to release their V7 scrambler and tuned their owns:

More pictures and info on this spanish forum thread:
http://guzzistas.mforos.com/652460/11034100-v7-scr/
JJLalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #3573
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I really still think it depends on the expected purpose for this V7 Stelvio NTX type bike.

If it's for the type of riding Rocker shows in the pictures above, I'd be more inclined to look for bikes like James Adams showed in his picture on Page 237, Post #3553. Call them 90 (off-road)/10 (on-road) bikes -- street legal motorcross bikes that can be used (in a pinch) for back woods camping trips with strap-on bags and bungee cords. I saw a lot of those at the AdvRiders West Fest in Darby, MT in '11. Most were either owned/ridden by somewhat local people or came in on trailers.

If, on the other hand, the expected purpose is something similar to the NTX but lighter in weight, then IMO, that's a different bike. That's more an 90 (on-road)/10 (off-road) bike where the off-road stuff is not quite as "rough". That bike will be more robust, designed for sustained highway speeds, have more permanent luggage carrying capability, more rider protection from the elements and will be larger/longer for possible two-up riding. As a result it will be heavier. It will probably be up close to the Quota, which I think is in the 550# range.

Last, for calibration purposes, the Trax rear cases on my NTX weigh 11# each, add ~4# each for mounting, total for the system ~30#. Center stand ~20#.

Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #3574
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLalas View Post
And by the way, some folks in Paris haven't waited for Guzzi to release their V7 scrambler and tuned their owns:

More pictures and info on this spanish forum thread:
http://guzzistas.mforos.com/652460/11034100-v7-scr/
Your image isn't showing up, but thanks for the link. This one is quite is nice!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #3575
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
SM, I love that bike. It looks like there is a Triumph Bonneville behind it.
Demar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #3576
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
No. No way the small block chassis can handle any off road...

(rear drive is from the Tonti California on both of these, with a custom swingarm).
The swingarm pivots on these bikes are obscured by the riders' feet - but they do not pivot on the gearbox hosing like the standard small-blocks do - there's a chunky extension to the frame in that area!
The rear drive can be from any Tonti-framed Guzzi, not just the California - and there are a variety of crown-wheel & pinion ratios available for them too. However, the rear drives are HEAVY - and it's unsprung mass too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, but 21" front & 18" rear....
or would it be better for most to be 19" front & 17" rear..
Yep, the original 650 TT & NTX models had 21/18" and they worked well; as of now, getting tyres isn't an issue; 19/17" just makes the bike less dirt-worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
The 2012 appears to be on par power-wise with my 2005 GS. I would want a bit more.
Whatever for? Are you of, ahem, "Generous proportions" or do you regularly tote a tame hippo and her luggage interstate? Perhaps you'd more usefully consider a Ford F350 turbo-diesel instead?
The standard Stelvio can cruise at well over 100 mph all day long (you do have speed limits where you live, right?) and has enough power that if you bothered, you'd be spinning the wheel well into fifth gear on dirt: all that achieves is a waste of rear tyres, a cloud of dust for your riding buddies and means you arrive at the scene of the crash first.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #3577
Enduro Rider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
..... and means you arrive at the scene of the crash first.
LOL
12 Husaberg TE250
02 Moto Guzzi Tenn
Enduro Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #3578
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Whatever for? Are you of, ahem, "Generous proportions" or do you regularly tote a tame hippo and her luggage interstate? Perhaps you'd more usefully consider a Ford F350 turbo-diesel instead?
The standard Stelvio can cruise at well over 100 mph all day long (you do have speed limits where you live, right?) and has enough power that if you bothered, you'd be spinning the wheel well into fifth gear on dirt: all that achieves is a waste of rear tyres, a cloud of dust for your riding buddies and means you arrive at the scene of the crash first.
Morbid obesity isn't a reason for more horse power. I'm "generously proportioned" so that with gear and luggage I'll exceed the payload capacity of my bike slightly. But even limited to 25kW (thats 34bhp) that's plenty to break our national speed limit to a degree that I'd instantly lose my license. And while I agree that overtaking is a chore if you are fat and burdened with that lack of power, 100bhp is plenty to undertake the most stupid of overtaking maneuvers.

Just saying
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #3579
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Just had to post. Despite it being cold today, I jumped on the Stelvio for a ride. I hadn't ridden in about two weeks because I was out of town. All I did was just some running around...beyond a couple errands, I had no particular destination in mind.

I love my Stelvio. Fun, comfortable, it sounds great, it handles well, it's stable at speed, and it never fails to generate a conversation when I stop. Just a fantastic bike!

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #3580
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Oh Lordy, Lordy!

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Your image isn't showing up, but thanks for the link. This one is quite is nice!

-SM
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #3581
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,552
RoadRunner Magazine

Has anyone seen the new issue of RoadRunner magazine? There is a Burnt Orange Stelvio on the cover....
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #3582
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,342
^ yes, what is its significance though?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #3583
espi
scheming adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Has anyone seen the new issue of RoadRunner magazine? There is a Burnt Orange Stelvio on the cover....

Yeah- But I don't see jack shite about it except for a conversation with the "tomato"
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #3584
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
^ yes, what is its significance though?
I couldn't tell you, I haven't gotten past the cover
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #3585
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Yeah- But I don't see jack shite about it except for a conversation with the "tomato"
But they do have a fabulous write up on all the new paint schemes on the 2013 Hawgs.