Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #226
emptm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Had a pair installed a couple weeks ago on my old f650. The parts manager talked me into them after showing that he used them on his own bike. I'd only used the OEM Bridgestones for the past 11 years. They were good, but these are excellent.Feels like a new bike. Love how grippy and stable they are.
emptm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #227
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Read the comments about the differences between the Conti Road Attack vv the new Road Attack 2 and you will learn its more than just a marketing ploy...
Does the new model come with the no charge wobble option ;-)
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #228
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Does the new model come with the no charge wobble option ;-)
Nr. 1 cause of a 'Wobble': User doesn't check / apply the right tire pressure.
Nr. 2 cause of a 'Wobble': User doesn't check / apply the right suspension setting / neglecting the suspension oil
Nr. 3 cause of a 'Wobble': User is mounting the tires the wrong way around on the rims (opposite to riding direction - yes, that happens!)
Nr. 4 cause of a 'Wobble': Rims are not balanced / wrong balance weights / rims are damaged
Nr. 5 cause of a 'Wobble': Bearings are near to gone...

Etc, etc.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #229
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Anyone know how the trail attack 2's act on gravel? Looking at either scorpions or t/a's after deciding that I will burn through tkc's too fast, and instead of going out and buying tires now, I could probably wait for the t/a 2's if they are supposed to be pretty good on the gravel.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #230
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Anyone know how the trail attack 2's act on gravel? Looking at either scorpions or t/a's after deciding that I will burn through tkc's too fast, and instead of going out and buying tires now, I could probably wait for the t/a 2's if they are supposed to be pretty good on the gravel.
On gravel they are good - but not perfect. On sand or mudd they s*ck.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #231
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Nr. 1 cause of a 'Wobble': User doesn't check / apply the right tire pressure.
Nr. 2 cause of a 'Wobble': User doesn't check / apply the right suspension setting / neglecting the suspension oil
Nr. 3 cause of a 'Wobble': User is mounting the tires the wrong way around on the rims (opposite to riding direction - yes, that happens!)
Nr. 4 cause of a 'Wobble': Rims are not balanced / wrong balance weights / rims are damaged
Nr. 5 cause of a 'Wobble': Bearings are near to gone...

Etc, etc.
Somehow I doubt the bearings went bad or my suspension oil degraded or my settings got changed on my '11 GS the day I put new Contis on it. Do some googling...there is a problem with the tire.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #232
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
On gravel they are good - but not perfect. On sand or mudd they s*ck.
Thanks. I have read through the whole thread, and cant remember who all tried what. Have you tried the pirelli scorpions, and how they compare on gravel?

I was bound and determined to get a set of tkc's, but I mainly ride gravel and pavement 70-30, maybe 60-40 pavement to gravel. Would just like to get a set thats good on gravel and pavement, worry about the other riding later!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #233
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 489
I just put Trail Attacks on my '11 G650GS, 110/80-19 front and 140/80-17 rear, and it transformed the bike vs. the OEM Bridgestones. The ride quality on the freeway is significantly better, they don't chase every groove in the surface, and the grip is great.

I rode a lot of hardpack & rocky fire roads last weekend and the TAs did way better than I thought they would. It's all the tire I need for roads like that at the pace I travel. The looser the surface got the sketchier they got, and the deep new gravel on a couple-mile stretch was a little harrowing, but I expected that from a tire like this.

For me, with my daily 40-mile round trip freeway commute and occasional weekend foray onto the dirt they're the perfect tire so far.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #234
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Thanks. I have read through the whole thread, and cant remember who all tried what. Have you tried the pirelli scorpions, and how they compare on gravel?

I was bound and determined to get a set of tkc's, but I mainly ride gravel and pavement 70-30, maybe 60-40 pavement to gravel. Would just like to get a set thats good on gravel and pavement, worry about the other riding later!
@ preppypyro: I replaced my Michelin Siracs on my '83 XLV750R dirtbike for the Pirelli Scorpions (actually the MT90) and to be honest... I really regret the change. The Siracs f.e. are far more stabil in lose sand where the Scorpions are more or less 'searching' all over the place without finding the right trail to follow.

On tarmac they do fine. But I will replace them again for a tyre which provides me with an as good as it gets interface between a real 'knobbie' tyre and a more road oriented tyre (like the Trail Attack is).

Most likely for the XLV750R, the Siracs will be put back but since I got a near to perfect roadhandling and good feedback from the Conti Trail Attack on the heavy Honda XL1000V Varadero I'm thinking to include the Conti Trail Escape as an alternative too.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #235
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I just put these on my X-Country and I have to say they are the worst tires I've ever put on a bike.

Either my bike is too light or I got a bad set of tires because I can't get heat into them. There is nearly no grip on road surfaces at all. The front is always hunting for grip.

Yesterday I rode in the rain and had more 'moments' than I care to remember. It was like riding on ice. As others have pointed out, they aren't very good (read: awful) on the dirt either.

I'll probably go back to the Tourances unless someone has a better idea.
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #236
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Got another thread here on tyre choice (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0324246)...but trail attack seems like what I want, close to sport tyre pefrormance on tarmacand decent on good gravel roads.

But one thing haven't seen in this thread, anyone tried the 17"/17" option? Have a KTM690 EnduroR but mostly runs as a SMC (wheels, brakes, forks, shock++). Tempted to keep it on 17" wheels as better on road and will only be easy gravel...not much point in 21" if not bumpy?
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #237
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
re;the shimmy

bike- honda varadero (dont think you have them in the states, so imagine its a v-strom1000 ok?)
19" alloy wheel,
pressures regularly checked.
wheel bearings and balance are fine

im on my third front trail attack, from the oem trailwing. that didnt shimmy, but all the contis have/do. im used to it, its not too bad, i know when its going to happen, and i put up with it because its otherwise an excellent tyre especially in the wet where its head and shoulders above the bridgestone "deathwing". life is a lot longer too, 5k miles is six months riding i dont need a new expense.
i havent tried battlewings but here in the UK they are a lot more expensive that contis, i may try the tourances though, metzlers are nearer in price.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #238
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Got home last night from a ~550 mile trip (~110 miles off-road) where I think I encountered pretty much every road condition. Here's how the Trail Attacks did in my opinion.
  • Dry pavement: excellent
  • Unmaintained pavement with debris/sand/scattered pea gravel: excellent
  • Hard pack dirt: very good
  • Very rocky slow 2-track: very good
  • Snow & ice: awful, terrifying (duh)
  • Dry sand: scary, anus-puckering
  • Loose gravel: see "Dry sand"
  • Wet dirt/mud: not good
  • Wet pavement: excellent
Next time I make the same trip I'll be wearing TKC-80s or similar for sure. But I survived relatively unscathed and had fun, so I can't complain.

These are for sure a street-oriented 80/20 tire.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #239
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

@ Davsato: Metzeler and Honda bigtrails arn't a good combination despite the quality of Metzeler tyres... Cause is the diagonal frame on which Metzeler tires are build which (can) cause shimmy on most Honda bigtrailbikes (f.e. Transalp, Africa Twin and Varadero)

@ Reenmachine... "anus puckering", hahaha! Have to remind that one...

Have to agee though on loos sand and/or mud though...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #240
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 739
Ongoing trail attack test... there' s a new trailattack in town... the trailattack 2

http://translate.google.ca/translate...ed=0CDUQ7gEwAA