Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Hey Tripped1, you were an FT!? Me too, I was an FTG, now its just FT's but anyway, that was way back in the 70's, 75-81. Man I loved that rate and everyone especially the gubber mates GMG's hated us because we had the air conditioned spaces and they were usually greasy from screwing around in the mount 51 bilge. I loved blowing shit up, what a gooood time. Were you ever to PI....Subic bay? I was gold!
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
steyr_scout308 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Bump. Good advice and discussion so far, but I'd still like to hear from someone who has taken one of these online "certificate" classes. Whether the experience was good or bad, and whether or not an employer found it acceptable.
steyr_scout308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,150
As an employer, if someone claims to have a certificate in something I'm going to quiz him about it and he'd better have the right answers or justly or not he'll be getting a "bullshitter" label from me.

Large organizations tend to like papers, but smaller ones want someone to help them make money and if that is your job market then I'd suggest finding a specific training program that targets the equipment your company either uses or sells.

Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier I'd suggest getting an amateur radio license and building some equipment, which will also start giving you a foundation for understanding electronics and electricity.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
One the other end

On the complete other end of what I posted earlier, see https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials

I have been ordering some stuff from them and their online tutorials are pretty good.

Eric
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
steyr_scout308 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
As an employer, if someone claims to have a certificate in something I'm going to quiz him about it and he'd better have the right answers or justly or not he'll be getting a "bullshitter" label from me.

Large organizations tend to like papers, but smaller ones want someone to help them make money and if that is your job market then I'd suggest finding a specific training program that targets the equipment your company either uses or sells.

Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier I'd suggest getting an amateur radio license and building some equipment, which will also start giving you a foundation for understanding electronics and electricity.
Studying for the next HAM license exam in my area as we speak. This is a large organization, and they do like paper. They will probably train me for 6 months before I ever set foot in the plant. My experience in the industry is what got me this far in the hiring process. Thanks.
steyr_scout308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steyr_scout308 View Post
Studying for the next HAM license exam in my area as we speak. This is a large organization, and they do like paper. They will probably train me for 6 months before I ever set foot in the plant. My experience in the industry is what got me this far in the hiring process. Thanks.
Good on you, whether or not you use it it is a piece of paper in the right direction.

Another thought I had would be for you to talk to the local community college to see if they offer a distance learning course for anything they offer.

Here's another link you might want to peruse:

http://education-portal.com/distance...tedSchoolsList
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post

+1 on building equipment to learn electronics, preferably from scratch rather than a kit....I have had a fair amount of classroom electronics training from the Navy and college engineering classes and worked in the business for many years...but building several tube guitar amps from scratch gave me a more intuitive feel for electronics than anything else has, good troubleshooting experience too as mine usually don't work right on the first power up
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote