ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #16
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,078
MAKING GARMIN BASECAMP INTO A PORTABLE APPLICATION:

Technically, this is not a "Montana" issue, but since BaseCamp (BC) is the program of choice when creating routes and tracks to be used on the Montana, people are relying on BC so it only makes sense to make BC "portable". This way if you're traveling without a Laptop or Netbook and need to create routes or tracks, all you need to do is find a computer, plug your USB or SD card into the computer and run BaseCamp from the storage device.

There's no need to install BaseCamp on the computer, something which many computers in public places will not allow anyway.

The following was written by dvwalker, and posted to the New Garmin Montana thread. This applies to the Windows version of BaseCamp.

It works!!!

This saves a step of having to install BC onto a host computer for emergency track repair while out in the field. I simply copied the BC app files from my PC into a folder on the SD card. I had to include GlobalMaps (\Basecamp\Maps folder) since BC requires at least one map during initial load. After initial load then BC will recognize the other BC enabled map files (img files) from the Montana. Very cool...

1. In windows 7, BC is installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp directory
2. copy all files (*.dll, *.exe, etc) and \Maps folders to directory on your SD card. I created folder [SD]:\Tools\basecamp. I skipped copying the help file folders (\en).
3. plug Montana into any Windows XP/7 PC and run BaseCamp.exe

notes:
  • \Database folder is a copy of My Collection (Alldata.gdb) database in case I ever need to do an emergency import.
  • \Setup folder is a copy of the BC installer file, just in case I need to install onto host computer...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

THE PHANTOM SELECTOR, or, the Ghost in the Machine:

It has come to my attention over the last month that some Montanas are self-selecting menu items and going into Map Scroll mode on their own without any user input. A friend's 650 has an extreme case where it just keeps making menu selections until it reaches a screen where it can't go any further, then won't let him make menu selections back to the map or anywhere else he might want to go.

These videos show the problem.

http://youtu.be/mLA5DftXlrQ

http://youtu.be/CrAZFm25iSI

The issue as I see it is heat related, and seems to happen mostly when stopped in full sun. I think the screen protectors which come with the Garmin Rugged Mount get hot, then exert pressure on the touch screen, causing strange behaviour. If you happen to be on the map screen, it'll likely go into Map Scroll mode. If this happens while you're travelling, it will look like your screen is not updating itself. To check if this is the case, look for an arrow at the bottom left of the screen. If you see one, you're in scroll mode. The normal map screen has an X in the lower left, not an arrow, as seen below.

This is not a fatal error, and in my case, once I start moving the problem goes away but my buddy said his was doing it at 130kph.

It may be worth trying the unit without a screen protector to see if the problem persists.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 03:45 PM
Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

The Phantom Selector Part II (For the record)

Garmin asked me to run some tests, to try out my theory about removing the screen protector to see if that stops the problem. Finally had time, and hot weather today, so I ran a test.

I left my Montana out in the sun for 1/2 an hour and it started making its own selections.

Temperature went to about 31C while I was filming. (31 degrees Celsius = 87.8 degrees Fahrenheit)

This is the setup I used:

After about 1/2 an hour the screen started doing this kind of thing:

http://youtu.be/IJG31TgU4YA

I then took the Montana screen protector off and put it back out in the sun which was even hotter, by this point. By the way, a credit card had been suggested by Garmin as the way to get the screen protector off. The credit card did not help in getting the protector off, even though I cut a flat edge to try, when the rounded edge didn't work.

A fingernail, however, worked perfectly. It was just what I needed to hook under and get the initial start I needed. The protector was not the least bit difficult to take off. It was more like a magnetic attraction than an adhesive which kept it on the screen. (For those of you who're scared to take their screen protector off, having read about the guy who cracked his touch screen while taking off a ZAGG protector)

This shows how easy it is to take the screen protector off if you use a fingernail to pull it up.

http://youtu.be/B16DVD8oSYg

I have not seen one phantom selection on the screen in the 1 hour I left it out in the sun without the screen protector.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

The TORX Security Screw, and What You Can Do About It:

The Montana's Rugged Mount includes a TORX Security Screw which some people love, and others hate. Personally I don't mind it, and when I'm leaving the bike for a few minutes, like going into a gas station to pay, it provides a measure of security that the gps will still be there when I get back out.

But some people would prefer to have a locking mechanism which could be enabled and disabled without needing to use the fiddly little Torx tool Garmin provides for this purpose.

The following was written by Bli55 in a post to the New Garmin Montana thread. It describes how to get into the Rugged Mount to get that security screw out, and a low-tech method to make up a substitute which you can use your fingers to turn.

Start off by unscrewing 6 tiny screw and taking off the back panel.

Then take out the button sliding part (hold the tiny spring!!!) and the top (hold the tiny spring!!!):

Now with access to the inside, we see the culprit. Pry it (the circlip) off.

Luckily, Garmin uses a standard pitch M3 thread. So to a bolt shop I go.

The standard screw has threads only at the very end and the thinner stalk moves freely in the hole in the top plastic part. I needed to duplicate that, except that I chose to leave a few more threads at the end.

And if you don't have a lathe (use a drill chuck instead):

The standard bolt stops not when the threads go all the way into the well, but when the bolthead touches against the plastic - so it's ok the leave more thread at the end as long as there's something on our new bolt to push against the plastic top part (to mimic the standard bolthead).

In my case, a long "handle":

Put the new bolt in, remembering the cone shaped spring, then slip on the retaining clip from the inside (you can leave it out if you think there will be a need to remove the lock screw without taking the mount apart again).

Then put the 2 plastic parts together. Do I need to mention the tiny springs?

They fly far once being bounced off your head and can only be found by lucky chance inside some camera cases.
And don't think breaking a lighter will save you!

Result:

Thanks Bli55 for giving permission to use this here!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 06:53 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

The Garmin Rugged Mount Power Cable:

The Rugged Mount includes about 8' of cable so that you can wire the power directly to a battery, but most people do not need or want that much cable. Also, there is an audio plug which can be used to listen to audio navigation directions.

The cable itself splits into a power/data set and the audio cable. From the mount itself to the molded junction is 34" long, and the length of the audio cable past the junction is 36" so you can see how this can become a real nuisance if you don't plan to use the audio out from the Rugged Mount.

If you're unsure if you will ever want to use that audio cable, you can coil the excess around the RAM mount base, using twist-ties or nylon ties to keep the cable from getting in the way.

If you'd rather not have 6' of cable off the Rugged Mount, you can safely cut the cable off as short as you want, leaving just enough to connect up the power connector, if you're using one.

There is NO voltage regulator built into the Garmin Rugged Mount cable! Your Montana can be powered by up to 35 volts without damaging it. (10 to 35 volts according to the manual).

If all you'll be using is the power cable, cut the cable at your desired length, and separate the RED and BLACK as they are the only two you'll need to connect. The other wires should be isolated from each other, so I cut them off so each is slightly shorter than the others, and then use a piece of shrink wrap to seal them up to the red and black.

When you hook up your red and black cables FROM the Rugged Mount to a molded plug, you should make sure the RED is connected to the MALE power plug, and the Black should be to the FEMALE power plug. This is so that polarity will be right when you hook up to your Battery Tender cable, if you have one on the bike.

The Battery Tender cable must be hooked up so that the MALE connector is Ground/Black/- and the FEMALE connector is Live/Positive/+. This ensures that the live connector can not touch a grounded part of the bike because it is recessed (female). If your Battery Tender cable has a built in fuse (and it really should) then you can leave off the fuse which is on the Rugged Mount cable. If you don't know if there's a fuse on your Tender cable, best to play it safe and splice in the one on the mount cable after you snip the cable off short.

I have a fused Battery Tender connector up at my handlebars with a SAE molded two pin plug which I connect to when I use the gps, and hook a charger to if the bike will not be used for an extended period. So I cut my mount cable down to about 12" long.

If you want to discuss this, or anything else to do with the Montana, go to the humungous thread called Laying Down Tracks/New Garmin Montana.

Please do not reply in this thread...
Old 05-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Just added this to the Wisdom and FAQ thread:

GPSCity is giving ADVRider inmates a special deal - check this thread in the Vendors forum for details: RAM Mount & Garmin Discounts

If you want to discuss the Montana, go to the humungous thread called Laying Down Tracks/New Garmin Montana.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #22
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Garmin Express, Lifetime Map Updates and the Montana

Garmin has released a software program which works on the Mac and PC platforms and is supposed to allow you to update everything to do with your gps. If you have Express installed on your computer, each time you plug the gps into the computer, Express will look at the device and see if there are Firmware or Map updates available for it.

I have been able to update the firmware on my Montana through Express, but Lifetime Map Updates have never worked for me when using Express. I called Garmin Tech Support and was told that Express should not be used for the Montana series as it was not totally compliant with that model.

I had a pending Lifetime Map Update for my 650 which had failed a number of times so I asked Tech Support to help with that. They emailed me the following information relating to the Map Updater for the Mac and PC platforms:

"Where can I download the Garmin Map Updater?
The Garmin Map Updater application is used to update the maps on compatible Garmin GPS devices. High Speed Internet access is required. Not for use with dial-up, satellite or Mobile Broadband Internet access. Includes USB device drivers.

Minimum Requirements:

PC:

Windows XP SP3 or newer
1 GB RAM
At least 1024 x 768 display
13 GB free disk space
USB port
USB data cable
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (included)
Mac:

Intel-based Mac running OS 10.5.8 or higher
1 GB RAM
1024 x 768 display
13 GB free disk space
USB port
USB data cable
Click the link for the appropriate operating system to download.

Garmin Map Updater PC:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

Garmin Map Updater Mac:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg "

When I tried to run the Mac version, it kept crashing, and the reason it did so was because Express and the Lifetime Map Updater applications were still running on the computer. Once I stopped both of those apps, the Map Updater worked as it should.

Once the map on your computer is updated, you need to run Garmin MapInstaller to update the map on the gps, and as a final step, remove the previous map, which should be a separate file, as long as you used MapInstaller to add the map.

In the screen shot below, you can see both maps. I just removed the one which ends in 2013.4 (My maps are installed on the Micro SD card so I can copy them to a backup sd card easily, in case the card should fail. I keep the second/backup sd card taped to the Montana's internal battery, just in case)

If you used Mapsource, then all bets are off as it probably overwrote the old map. Mapsource should not be used with the Montana, though some people persist in doing so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you notice and want to report any omissions or incorrect information in this post, or want to discuss the Montana, go to the humungous thread called Laying Down Tracks/New Garmin Montana. (You can also PM me)

Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #23
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Don't Need The Wiring on your Garmin Rugged Mount?

I had a spare Rugged Mount kicking around, and wanted to use the Montana on my bicycle so I looked into how I could use the mount on the bike.

The bicycle obviously doesn't have a power source so I took the power connector right off. Nothing to it - just a couple of T6 Torx screws threaded into the connector block and the whole thing comes off as one. So no need to cut the wiring if you don't plan to use it right away.

If you want to discuss this idea, or anything to do with the Montana, go to the humungous thread called Laying Down Tracks/New Garmin Montana.