Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #301
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,672
I had a 2008 Yamaha Fazer 600 for 2 months, after a mate who has a 2002 model told me how wonderful they are. It was the dullest bike I've ridden, boring and had no character. I got it as a winter bike, but hated the thing and traded against a 2011 Triumph Street Triple R. Now that was an AWESOME bike
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #302
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Wicked Character or Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
What are the bikes you thought you'd like a lot more than you did on the first ride?
All of them!

For those of you who think motorcycles have character or soul that's purely a euphemism for "there's something wrong with this damn thing" but I refuse to admit it.
Sidewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #303
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Around here they are. 2.5 hours to the nearest dealer...
If i need to take mine to a dealer i have to freight it by boat to Greece (14 hours)...and i own two 955s...ya big pansy
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #304
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Not keeping track, but there sure does seem like a lot of BMW's in this thread..................
So don't buy one, they are really cheap,shitty unreliable bikes ()
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #305
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
If i need to take mine to a dealer i have to freight it by boat to Greece (14 hours)...and i own two 955s...ya big pansy
And people tell me to move out of the sticks.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #306
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewise View Post
For those of you who think motorcycles have character or soul that's purely a euphemism for "there's something wrong with this damn thing" but I refuse to admit it.
Love ya Hondas, do ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #307
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Around here they are. 2.5 hours to the nearest dealer...
Love your work, Cos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #308
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
This:

Indian: from 1999 right up to 2013. It was insulting to me that they'd try an dpull a fast one liek they did: HD clone with big fenders voila instant Indian. Especially when there was the Eller Indian, owing NOTHING to HD and the emergence of Excelsior Henderson and Victory again two clean sheet designs. what was even worse was people bought into the faux Indian. When I heard that they would bring out a Scout, I had some hope. I was horrified that it was essentially a full blwon HD clone with Indian on the tank!! Then I heard that Indian had their own engine, the Power Plus, I waited and what do you know? It is a god damned HD clone with rounded barrels! What is really mind bending for me are the owners of these bikes who will belittle, and bad mouth HD until the cows come home and be in complete denail that thier beloved Indian is a cheap HD knock off. The other thing too, was Indian was asking, and getting MORE $$ for their bikes than HD was! Granted, the HD was likely to run a little longer than the Indian. Check any owner forum and read the horror stories of all kinds of mechanical mayhem, brand new bikes breaking down on the ride home and being stuck in a shop for weeks to months! Then amazingly enough, in 2003 just as Indian was about to be in the black money wise, the plug was pulled by the inestors. Indian, like a bad curry, hung around and oce again i was duped into being hopeful. The Kings Mountain bikes ain't much better either. So, I once again have hope that Polaris will do Indian justice in 2014. I ain't holding my breath mind you.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #309
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Every Buell I took for a boot (XB9, XB12R, 1125), loved the Erik Buell story, loved the looks of the bikes, loved the sporty but not hardcore ergo's, loved the quirky out of the box engineering & "not another 600/750/1000 rice burner" sound & styling...but man they sucked out of the box.

Only bikes I ever rode that felt like they understeered, brake feel sucked almost as bad as a BMW's, and then there was the whole "self immolation" option...desperately wanted to like the 1125, but as a semi-practical only bike I would've grown to hate it.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #310
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,152
1985 K100RS and I'm a certified BMW brand-whore.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #311
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
KLR 650. Yea I know, people love em. But for me I couldn't handle getting blown all over the road in wind and at any moment getting thrown into a wobble. The motor feeling like it would explode at 80 even though it never did. The seat and ride was just a straight up hemorrhoid platform. Having just dogged the hell out of this bike I can say the one I had was damn near impossible to break and was the cheapest to buy and maintain of most bikes I've ever owned.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #312
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
This:

Indian: from 1999 right up to 2013. It was insulting to me that they'd try an dpull a fast one liek they did: HD clone with big fenders voila instant Indian. Especially when there was the Eller Indian, owing NOTHING to HD and the emergence of Excelsior Henderson and Victory again two clean sheet designs. what was even worse was people bought into the faux Indian. When I heard that they would bring out a Scout, I had some hope. I was horrified that it was essentially a full blwon HD clone with Indian on the tank!! Then I heard that Indian had their own engine, the Power Plus, I waited and what do you know? It is a god damned HD clone with rounded barrels! What is really mind bending for me are the owners of these bikes who will belittle, and bad mouth HD until the cows come home and be in complete denail that thier beloved Indian is a cheap HD knock off. The other thing too, was Indian was asking, and getting MORE $$ for their bikes than HD was! Granted, the HD was likely to run a little longer than the Indian. Check any owner forum and read the horror stories of all kinds of mechanical mayhem, brand new bikes breaking down on the ride home and being stuck in a shop for weeks to months! Then amazingly enough, in 2003 just as Indian was about to be in the black money wise, the plug was pulled by the inestors. Indian, like a bad curry, hung around and oce again i was duped into being hopeful. The Kings Mountain bikes ain't much better either. So, I once again have hope that Polaris will do Indian justice in 2014. I ain't holding my breath mind you.
Did you ever actually ride one? Sounds like this is a bike you wanted to hate and did as opposed to a "bike you didn't like as much as you thought you would".

IMO, the whole Indian thing was a blatant money grab, but the bike wasn't more disappointing than anyone expected - we all knew it would be crap.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #313
dirtyron
never grew up

Oddometer: 250
i traded off on a ride with my buddys new bonneville, what a boring soulless bike. i couldn't wait to get back on my ducati. i think i ruined it for the poor guy. did the same on a 800st.WHERE'S THE MOTOR? absoloutly no character. this guy loves that bike though.i realized over the years that first and foremost a motorcycle has to be fun. call me immature.
dirtyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #314
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Agree on the Bonneville. I had one and I was expecting the thrill a moment ride of a late 60's w/o the lucas and leaks. It was just a slow handling, slow accelerating motorcycle, that was a thing a beauty. Guess I couldn't have it all....tp
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #315
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyron View Post
i traded off on a ride with my buddys new bonneville, what a boring soulless bike. i couldn't wait to get back on my ducati. i think i ruined it for the poor guy. did the same on a 800st.WHERE'S THE MOTOR? absoloutly no character. this guy loves that bike though.i realized over the years that first and foremost a motorcycle has to be fun. call me immature.
Funny, I went from a 05 Ducati ST3 that was deerstroyed to an 09 Bonnie T100 and I find the Bonnie to be full of character, especially after I installed a set of TORs. The Bonnie just fit me better. All the controls fall readily to hand. I find the motor to be smooth and powerful enough for my needs. Yes I have upgraded the suspension but I did that as well on my non "S" model ST3. I actually almost bought a Multi 1100S but just did not bond with during or after a test ride. The Bonnie however I knew I wanted after 3 blocks on my test ride. I bonded more in the first couple hundred miles on the Bonnie than I did in 20,000+ miles on the Duc. And I loved that Duc!

Different strokes for different folks. It is all good if the bike moves your soul.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote