User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
the_gr8t_waldo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
dressing up a helmet

i have an shoei RF1k that's about11 years old now. but i reach for it quite a lot, because it's the "old one" and it feels alot more comfy than the newer x11. anyway it,s collected a few dings over the years and i want to fill 'em in with bondo, sand smooth, and cover the dings with small patches of reflective mat'l. since the helmet is curved, i'll probably need this mat'l to be vinyl based.. problem is that all i seem to find is unable to comform to a helmet. is there a vinyl retroflective mat'l out there? i'd also like it to be in yellow-but can live with some other color. thanking all in advance
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
i have an shoei RF1k that's about11 years old now. but i reach for it quite a lot, because it's the "old one" and it feels alot more comfy than the newer x11. anyway it,s collected a few dings over the years and i want to fill 'em in with bondo, sand smooth, and cover the dings with small patches of reflective mat'l. since the helmet is curved, i'll probably need this mat'l to be vinyl based.. problem is that all i seem to find is unable to comform to a helmet. is there a vinyl retroflective mat'l out there? i'd also like it to be in yellow-but can live with some other color. thanking all in advance
You can just vinyl wrap the whole helmet - you can get it in any color, with graphics, etc. Here's a couple of vids:

tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
Sanding, bondo-ing, painting a helmet doesn't sound safe to me. 11 years old? Maybe it's time to retire it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
^^^

THIS

Helmet foam degrades with time. I can't remember the "safe" limit, but it's surely less than 11 years.

Time for the ol' girl to be a shelf weight.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Sorry, have to agree with the others; scratches, scrapes and nicks in a helmet are your visual "wear meter" that help remind you just how many times it has hit the deck and been generally mistreated. It's supposed to make you feel guilty/worried enough about its condition to make you shell out for a new one. Personally, I'd never want to lose that reminder under nice new layer of glossy paint or vinyl.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
might be a worth-while exercise, to help gain skills to remake the appearance of a helmet that you wear, but I'd not use an 11-year old lid, either . . . the EPS degrades over time, even if nothing else does . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
bearbuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
how about this?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818698

bb.
bearbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Performance Cycle
303-744-2011

Oddometer: 100
EPS does degrade over time because of the oils our body puts out. (Painting a helmet can actually deteriorate the EPS even faster if the paint chemicals get into the EPS via vents). The "safe zone" is to replace your helmet at least every five years. If it has been dropped or crashed in, even once, it should be replaced immediately. EPS is designed to only compress once. It does not go back to how it was before. If you were to ever hit the same spot again, it would not protect anywhere near as close as it is supposed to. Hope this helps a little.
Performance Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
the_gr8t_waldo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
I have used solas tape on other projects ...the only draw back is that the backing, as I remember it, didn't allow it to conform to a curve. i was thinking that a vinyl based reflective tape would be just the ticket!. use of small peices might be THE work around...we'll see. The stuff in post two looks really good, to bad it doesn't seem to come in reflective. And I seriously doubt if my artistic skills could do it justice........................................... .lighten you guys i was asking about how to do this, not if you thought it a good idea! i know your all just trying help...i will ride my own ride if it's ok with youall

the_gr8t_waldo screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 05:56 PM
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
Scene Dots

http://scenedots.com/

A simple solution and easy to make patterns. I've used them on the back of my bike.

Not the best shot but you get the idea
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,259
While I understand and respect the opinions of those that believe a helmet should be replaced after 5 years because the foam degrades, etc my opinion is that the degradation and resultant effect on impact in a crash is minimal at most, so you should keep using your old helmets as long as you want. Show me your proof and I'll reconsider. Hell, I paid $700 for these new helmets and I plan to wear them until my head degrades.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
While I understand and respect the opinions of those that believe a helmet should be replaced after 5 years because the foam degrades, etc my opinion is that the degradation and resultant effect on impact in a crash is minimal at most, so you should keep using your old helmets as long as you want. Show me your proof and I'll reconsider. Hell, I paid $700 for these new helmets and I plan to wear them until my head degrades.
Take a good hit in an old helmet and you'll be there

And then you can't upgrade.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
X11-MAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Helmet

A helmet should be changed every 4 to 5 years ...and sooner possibly if HIGH miles , extreme conditions

...and if DROPPED..buy a new one NOW !!!!!
X11-MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Entirely your call, Hendrik . . . . ..

I, however, after seeing the innards of a bell openfaced lid fall to pieces in my hands after it reached about 20 years of age, am of a different opinion.

Something tells me the degradation is not instant, but, rather, gradual, occuring over time.

But it's syour noggin, so please yourself!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by X11-MAN View Post
A helmet should be changed every 4 to 5 years ...and sooner possibly if HIGH miles , extreme conditions

...and if DROPPED..buy a new one NOW !!!!!
If dropped a modest height with nothing in it, I think you're OK. There needs to be something to compress the eps. All bets are off though if there is shell damage.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote