Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Did you go with the same size Neotec? I'm a med. profile. I was a med. X-11.

Yes, medium Arai Profile.........to medium Shoei Neotec..........got in on a group buy at Helmet Country for $515, I believe.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 507
I have the Signet q and it just fits my oval profile when I include the Sena microphone (about 2cm between my mouth and the mic).

Highly recommended.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
ticsandbeats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Long oval shape - the Neotec is Perfect for me. I really like Schuberth C3 too.
ticsandbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
twasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Long oval helmet

I currently use the Scorpion 1000. I believe I have an oval head shape and it is quite comfortable. I had to try on several to find the loosest fitting 2x. Most were too snug. It was about $400 compared to over $700 for an Arai at the time. Schuberth also fit,very tightly in 2x, but is as expensive as the Arai.
twasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
MZ5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Interesting about the Scorpion. Have you tried on a number of different Scorpion models? I tried on 3 or maybe even 4 different models from them, but every one hurt my head _instantly_, with some hurting severely.
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
There are only a few options out there AFAIK.
Arai's Signet-Q and Shark's RSI...but i will check out the shoei neotec fit.

I currently have an Arai profile with custom pads to get the fit right.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #22
Joey Stalin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
I learned today that I must have the long oval shape, because nothing seems to fit me. I told this to the lady at the m/c store today and she said, "Try this on" and handed me an Arai Signet Q. Fit really, really well. I'm trying to justify the price, but they are having a 20% off sale there today, which would bring it from 750 down to 600 for a graphic model.

I tried the Bell RS-1 and Bell Star at the M/C show last year, the RS-1 I thought I liked, and ordered one online. After about 10 minutes with the RS-1, I started to really get annoyed with the two pressure points at the back of my head. I thinking this was probably just my particular head, but otherwise the helmet fit a long oval pretty well. But it was noisy on a sportbike.

So finally, I learn that the helmet I've been wearing for 6 or 7 years, an Icon Alliance, is considered a long oval. No wonder it's fit so well all this time. And this helmet IS very affordable, $200 MSRP, and you can find them on closeout for much cheaper pretty easily. It is not a bad helmet, comfortable, not too noisy, not too heavy, and the price is right. I think it would be a good candidate for your son.
Joey Stalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 674
Troll ebay for the Signet-Q...I bought a "racer" in b/w for $399.95 shipped to my door! Price tag had it at $729.95 in the store. Great fit (I wear an XL in my XD3, but a L in the Signet-Q).
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 919
Easy to tell if you have an oval head...

If you have an oval head and a roundish (or, non-oval) lid, you'll get a pressure point in the center of your forehead. I rode for years (pre-internet) thinking this was normal, and your head was supposed to hurt after a few hours. Now I know better.

The best helmet I've found for my oval is an Uvex Enduro. It's not a street-only helmet, and they are hard to find (in the US), and it's NOT DOT approved. But, I can wear it pretty much all day with no headache. The fit and finish are pretty high quality, too.

Just thought I'd throw it out as an option.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
MZ5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
The best helmet I've found for my oval is an Uvex Enduro.
I appreciated this, until you said:
Quote:
...it's NOT DOT approved.
Requirement #2 is Snell certified. Since DOT certification is a Snell prerequisite, that makes this helmet a non-starter. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
CreatureCore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I also have a long oval shaped head. I have found most icons are the right shape, but they are just cheaply made. The bell rs1 fits amazing and is a great venting helmet, but fogs so bad. The scorpion exo 750 fits well to me as well, but wish the helmet was a little longer. The shark speed r fit great when i tried it on at revzilla and i think that will be my next helmet when they hit close out or sale prices.
CreatureCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
I appreciated this, until you said:

Requirement #2 is Snell certified. Since DOT certification is a Snell prerequisite, that makes this helmet a non-starter. Thanks anyway.
Ironically, I could get a ticket for this being non-DOT, but the Euro standards are higher than DOT (not sure about Snell).

From Revzilla...
Helmets that meet the ECE 22.05 criteria will meet the expectations of the motorcycle rider looking for more protection than the standard US DOT certification.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #28
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 634
I've worn Arai VX-Pro and then Klim F4 helmets and their fit is very similar. The Klim helmet is very comfortable at a fraction of the Arai cost. Sizing was very similar as well.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #29
rakad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
I wear a Profile because it's the only helmet I've tried on that doesn't give me a headache. . . . . .
. . . . . .
1) Long-oval shape,
2) Snell certified,
3) A little less costly for a growing boy.
I'm in the same boat with a large long-oval head. I ended up getting a very slightly used Profile here on ADVRIDER. At the time, the Signet was no longer being produced. It's back now, and will fit me better. The barely-used Profile fits almost as well as the new Signet, and was $300 here. A couple years from now, I'll look for a close-out or used Signet to replace the Profile.

The Profile came standard with the pinlock system and an anti-fog insert. It works beautifully, and I will not buy another helmet that does not have a pinlock available. (In the cold humid climate I live in, with a good-sized windshield, face-shield fogging is a real problem.)
rakad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #30
MZ5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
Ironically, I could get a ticket for this being non-DOT, but the Euro standards are higher than DOT (not sure about Snell).

From Revzilla...
Helmets that meet the ECE 22.05 criteria will meet the expectations of the motorcycle rider looking for more protection than the standard US DOT certification.
No, actually, ECE standards are the least protective. Most protective is Snell, then an older British standard, then DOT, then ECE. See http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/mcomp2 and http://snellm2010.org/testingM2010.html.