User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
av8torx OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
October Baja Trip

Hi, I am planning on crossing the border on October 10th south of Yuma. I was planning to go to Mikes Sky Ranch as my first stop. Is Mikes Sky Ranch worth going to for my first night? I only have 7 days to get to Cabo where I will park my KLR for the winter. I am planning to hug the eastern Baja as much a possible on the way down and when I come back in the spring the western side. I am wondering what places would be the best to stop for the nights? I don't want to waste my time going to Mike's Sky Ranch if its not worth the effort. San Felipe would be a more direct stop for me for night one. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also I am wondering a fuel stops and quality? Thanks D
av8torx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
I was just down there last week (San Felipe-Puertecitos). I crossed through Algodones POE and the whole process took about 15 minutes. Immigration building is 2nd white building on right as soon as you cross over. You can park your bike right next to it. The bank is right behind it to pay for your paperwork. Just two officers working there, but they even hand wrote me directions to get through town and onto the highway. There's an ATM on the US side in the big parking lot to your right, just before the POE if you need last minute cash. There's 2 ATM machines over on the Mexico side, but neither were working when I was there. I had to leave my bike in MX and walk back over to US and use the ATM there. There was a real bad rain storm on the Cortez side when I was there and San Felipe was flooded down by the malecon. I was riding in water deeper higher than my footpegs on my GSA. I found only 2 motels open and spent the night at one for $300MX. Most businesses were closed except for a handful on the backside of the malecon. I'm not sure if it was due to the storm, the economy or the season, but there wasn't much open and had I known, I would've ridden down the pacific coast instead. I rode down to Puertecitos to catch the road connecting to the 1, but Puertecitos was abandoned and the road south of Puertecitos was destroyed by water damage. The Pemex was closed in Puertecitos and the town was eerily deserted. There's also a lot of construction north of the 3 that will add on an extra hour or two. All gas stations I rode by to SF were open and they had both regular and super. I'm not sure how long it would take to fix the damaged roads or to what extent, but at the time the soldiers at the checkpoint at the 3/5 intersection old me i'd have to ride back up to Ensenada to catch the 1 if I wanted to go further south.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Mike's sky ranch=2 wings of about 6 rooms surrounding a spring fed swimming pool with a kitchen,meeting room,bar.Altitude is 3000-4000 ft.Usually busy during the baja 500-teams station pit crews up there.As far as adv rider prices go its kind of expensive.But that depends on your bar tab.They keep a tab running and you pay the total on the way out.If you are allowing 7 days to cabo you could make it up there.Places to stay depend on if you are carrying camping gear or not.I have ridden the area between San Felipe and Bay of LA with very little gear and stayed in motels-just bring money.Have not been dowm since 2007 .At that time there was gas at gonzaga bay and at the spot where mex5 runs into the side of mex1.At that intersection the is an abadoned pemex but there is usually guys selling gas from barrels there.Bay of LA has motels and pemex.I hope to make it to cabo in december.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
north49
keep the rubber side down

Oddometer: 11
paved?

How far south of san felipe is paved now? is there pavement to gonzaga bay, to cocos corner or out to hwy 1 again?
I will be down there in Feb and am thinkking of this route. I did it back in 07 and it was in rough shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
I was just down there last week (San Felipe-Puertecitos). I crossed through Algodones POE and the whole process took about 15 minutes. Immigration building is 2nd white building on right as soon as you cross over. You can park your bike right next to it. The bank is right behind it to pay for your paperwork. Just two officers working there, but they even hand wrote me directions to get through town and onto the highway. There's an ATM on the US side in the big parking lot to your right, just before the POE if you need last minute cash. There's 2 ATM machines over on the Mexico side, but neither were working when I was there. I had to leave my bike in MX and walk back over to US and use the ATM there. There was a real bad rain storm on the Cortez side when I was there and San Felipe was flooded down by the malecon. I was riding in water deeper higher than my footpegs on my GSA. I found only 2 motels open and spent the night at one for $300MX. Most businesses were closed except for a handful on the backside of the malecon. I'm not sure if it was due to the storm, the economy or the season, but there wasn't much open and had I known, I would've ridden down the pacific coast instead. I rode down to Puertecitos to catch the road connecting to the 1, but Puertecitos was abandoned and the road south of Puertecitos was destroyed by water damage. The Pemex was closed in Puertecitos and the town was eerily deserted. There's also a lot of construction north of the 3 that will add on an extra hour or two. All gas stations I rode by to SF were open and they had both regular and super. I'm not sure how long it would take to fix the damaged roads or to what extent, but at the time the soldiers at the checkpoint at the 3/5 intersection old me i'd have to ride back up to Ensenada to catch the 1 if I wanted to go further south.
north49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 267
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
The road from Puertocitos is paved to about 3-4 miles north of Gonzaga Bay as of November during the Baja 1000. Gas is not always available at Puertocitos or Gonzaga Bay so always be prepared to go the distance.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
The road from Puertocitos is paved to about 3-4 miles north of Gonzaga Bay as of November during the Baja 1000. Gas is not always available at Puertocitos or Gonzaga Bay so always be prepared to go the distance.
The Pemex in Puertocitos has not been open for several years now. Recently the one in Gonzaga has been spotty at best. The next quazi-reliable fuel going south of San Flippy is the guy in the blue truck selling fuel out of drums at the Bay of LA intersection. He's been there more than the Gonzaga Pemex has been open in the last couple of years.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
psycleboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Got gas in Puertocitos twice last week, but according to sign there he shuts down for lunch/siesta between 2&3:00. Gonzaga had one pump working as well. Not one, but two trucks selling gas at the BoLA intersection! Not much dirt left before Gonzaga, maybe a few miles then dirt all the way to Mex1.
psycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycleboy View Post
Got gas in Puertocitos twice last week, but according to sign there he shuts down for lunch/siesta between 2&3:00. Gonzaga had one pump working as well. Not one, but two trucks selling gas at the BoLA intersection! Not much dirt left before Gonzaga, maybe a few miles then dirt all the way to Mex1.
So gas again in Puertocitos?? That's good news for those with smaller tanks.