ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
Wings Exhaust

I just picked up a pair of Wings Exhaust for my 2012 KTM 990 Adventure. Any opinion on the large or small db killers. Any tuning or back fire issues with either one? I appreciate any input.
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
walstibsf
ADVENTURE-HOLIC
 
walstibsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Oddometer: 220
My WINGS came with three DB killers w/ new: the medium w/ spark arrestor in, pull those and have the nozzle only, and a set of small in the box. I've never ran anything but what came set up because I like the way they sound and work(plus, I need the spark arrestors for forest work).
__________________
W A L S T I B........ S F......................

what a long strange trip it's been......SO FAR......
walstibsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast of California
Oddometer: 144
I only had 1 DB Killer. It sounds awesome though...actually quieter than stocker...from whence can one obtain said alternate DB killers? Would like a bit more pop out of her.

BG
__________________
Bruce
Camarillo, CA
2011 KTM Adventure 990
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
R&R4adv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
R&R4adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 313
I have wings installed on my 950 thought it was a little to load so installed in inserts and it was too quite so cut the pipe on the insert back to the mounting pipe so i'm only really reducing the outlet size and not trying to force the exhaust through the 100mm of pipe of the orignal insert, works well very nice note
__________________
R&R4adv aka Reon
04 950 Adventure
past bikes
04 950 Adventure 03 640 Adventure 99 XR400
R&R4adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
Thanks

I'll go with the already installed large db killers as i'm trying to add a little bark to this bike.
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,405
With a two into one system would it be too restrictive with a DB killer in?
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SauceSquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 238
You have to play around with it but I like the stock DB inserts the best. I've gone through the exercise of trying each out for a week or more and I always come back to those. They sound good too

Make sure before you put em on get comfortable with TuneECU or set up some dyno time, most likely it won't run very well if you just throw em on without a new map. I like Wayne Tripp's Acro map, but try some different one's and see what works for you, each bike has it's own set of rules.
__________________
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2006 DRZ
1978 Harley FX cut down
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceSquatch View Post
You have to play around with it but I like the stock DB inserts the best. I've gone through the exercise of trying each out for a week or more and I always come back to those. They sound good too

Make sure before you put em on get comfortable with TuneECU or set up some dyno time, most likely it won't run very well if you just throw em on without a new map. I like Wayne Tripp's Acro map, but try some different one's and see what works for you, each bike has it's own set of rules.
I appreciate the feedback. I was under the impression based reading comments form others that have installed wings that a dyno or remapping wasn't required. Where would I find Waynes Tripps Acro Map? Any help would be appreciate. Thanks
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Pops of the desert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Washoe Valley Nevada
Oddometer: 82
Backfire with wings

Recently installed Wings on my 08 990. Love the sound and runs great (small db killers). I do notice more off throttle backfire, I am not sure if it is more than with stock cans or just louder. But performance does not seem to have changed at all. It is nice to be free of the leg incinerators.
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SauceSquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfabrizzi View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I was under the impression based reading comments form others that have installed wings that a dyno or remapping wasn't required. Where would I find Waynes Tripps Acro Map? Any help would be appreciate. Thanks
Here is the TuneECU KTM map list that made the site

The powerTripp Acro map I'm using is for a 2010 so it may not work with your year... Not sure exactly what the difference in years would make if they are all fuel injected, but I'm still learning. I've also heard you can try SMT maps, since the engines are the same(?), but I thought the cams were different so I've never tried a SMT map
http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3770
__________________
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2006 DRZ
1978 Harley FX cut down
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
SFKLR
Noob. Again.
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Benicia, CA
Oddometer: 1,006
I have Wings on my 950SE. Both inserts (small and large) sound identical to me. They are only a millimeter or two different in diameter. It only takes one allen key and 2 minutes to swap them both out and test for yourself. Good luck.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
el queso
toda su base
 
el queso's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: colinas del norte, california sur
Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfabrizzi View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I was under the impression based reading comments form others that have installed wings that a dyno or remapping wasn't required. Where would I find Waynes Tripps Acro Map? Any help would be appreciate. Thanks
I've been running Wings on my 990, I did not remap and the bike runs just fine. Not an issue IMHO.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
ElRod
4<2
 
ElRod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
I have Wings on my 950SE. Both inserts (small and large) sound identical to me. They are only a millimeter or two different in diameter. It only takes one allen key and 2 minutes to swap them both out and test for yourself. Good luck.
Just one tip on changing out the inserts. My Wings have the kevlar end caps and if you drop one in there it's a bitch to retrieve since the capscrews are stainless steel and therefore non-magnetic. I replaced mine with standard black steel capscrews and can now get them out easily with a magnet. FWIW.
__________________
.
ElRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,024
I have the Wings on my 950SE (and Husaberg 570), and run the more restrictive baffle in both.

Not too loud, but still healthy sounding.

Of course, the 950 is carbed, so I can't help you in that area.
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'08 KTM 950SE-R -- GOING, GOING, GONE
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 10
Awesome, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceSquatch View Post
Here is the TuneECU KTM map list that made the site

The powerTripp Acro map I'm using is for a 2010 so it may not work with your year... Not sure exactly what the difference in years would make if they are all fuel injected, but I'm still learning. I've also heard you can try SMT maps, since the engines are the same(?), but I thought the cams were different so I've never tried a SMT map
http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3770

Thanks for the info.
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014