Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
Lesser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I can't see any evidence of that being a PD in the past. They would've had to buy a whole lot of non-PD parts to make that a regular GS, which I can't imagine anyone doing. They may have crashed and bent the frame and migrated all the parts to a straight PD frame (identical frame, just a PD VIN) What year does the VIN say it is? Look at motor production date, trans serial number any castings with date stamp to see if they differ from the frame's model year.

Waiting for the title and VIN info. Owner works at a dealer and says he just ran the vin to find out it was a PD number with a BMW service record of the driveshaft getting replaced at 35k.

I know it doesn't look like it was ever a PD but if that's what the title says...

Will run numbers when I get them.
Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser View Post
I know it doesn't look like it was ever a PD but if that's what the title says...
Oh so it's the title that says it's a PD? Forget the title. The DOL never gets motorcycle models right. According to my title I have a R80RST

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Looks like the odometer has just under 14k miles, but the driveshaft was replaced at 35k? Maybe the bike has 114k miles, the speedo may have been replaced or the driveshaft replacement info is wrong.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #34
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser View Post
Dumb question: If I can pick up the 91 GS now, how easy would it be to retro-fit a Mono later down the line. IE: For that ultimate bombroof setup to go to South America with?
You won't want to. Just ride it for a while and you'll appreciate the better handling. If you want some reassurance on a long trip, start with a new DS and leave your old one boxed as a mailable spare.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #35
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
You won't want to. Just ride it for a while and you'll appreciate the better handling. If you want some reassurance on a long trip, start with a new DS and leave your old one boxed as a mailable spare.
This is me concurring wholeheartedly.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #36
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 564
Para vs extended mono

how does the extended mono (+100mm) ride compared to the paralever?

I have heard that once extended the monolever looses its jacking effect to a large extent. If this is right then you should get the best of both worlds.

I am about to do a para to extended mono conversion, but unfortunately spend more time on this forum than test riding HPNs so have no real experience so far.
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #37
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post

I have heard that once extended the monolever looses its jacking effect to a large extent. If this is right then you should get the best of both worlds.

Extended mono still jacks - it take more torque to make it jack the same as the extra leverage works against the reaction.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #38
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Extended mono still jacks - it take more torque to make it jack the same as the extra leverage works against the reaction.
I can confirm this ... I have a 100mm extension on The Dobber (see linky in my sig) and you can still feel the jack but only in high torque situations (like me hitting the throttle because it's a frickin' hoot).

But I will also say that on the highway, you can give it gas and the bike rises a bit. Because of the lengthened arm, I'll bet the effect has been reduced by at least 50%.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
But I will also say that on the highway, you can give it gas and the bike rises a bit. Because of the lengthened arm, I'll bet the effect has been reduced by at least 50%.
I never did any kind of dynamic rise comparison, wouldn't know how to even if I still had a long swing arm.
My feeling was the overall rise was about the same only gentler (slower - damped by leverage) through a smaller arc.
That was the zero sum theory.
It is interesting to hear someone elses perception, thank you.