ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #7381
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
This one is weird because last time I went there was corn growing everywhere.
Some hilly single track near this that I wouldn't even attempt solo. My bike is a big bitch when she falls down.
Ive been here before... they were cracking down on it last I heard, but that was a couple years ago.
Simple. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #7382
Zortose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
Ive been here before... they were cracking down on it last I heard, but that was a couple years ago.
I rode by there about a month ago, there was a white official looking truck parked at the bottom of that hill near the gravel pile. There was corn growing in almost all of the empty lots around there, as well.

"We've met before, haven't we?"
Zortose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #7383
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,901
46 and partly sunny on Sunday.

We might get another local ride in.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #7384
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Wish I had my 990 ready for the trail .
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #7385
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Sounding like my wife

Some, not all (not the pricey ones) Klim pants are on sale at klim.com. Also, Polaris bought Klim. For years the clothing divsion of Polaris has been a huge profit center for them.

Paul
proeasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #7386
Matt W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post

I'm in if my gear shows up!!! oh heck scratch that, I'm sure I can find something to throw on.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #7387
flyingbeard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
I want to Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post

Count me in! I'm off work this weekend. PM me the meet up time Bruno.
flyingbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #7388
rdewers
Mid Life Opportunist

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbeard View Post
Count me in! I'm off work this weekend. PM me the meet up time Bruno.
Matt, if you can't find an outfit, and you get cold, you can cuddle up with Bruno!

I will be there

Randy
rdewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #7389
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdewers View Post
Matt, if you can't find an outfit, and you get cold, you can cuddle up with Bruno!

I will be there

Randy

You guys are brutal...
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #7390
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdewers View Post

I will be there

Randy

Dockers?

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #7391
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 603
So I was able to move some old Harley stuff, and I am now on the hunt for something smaller and lighter for some Bruno adventures. I have really been wanting a KTM 400, but damn they are hard to come by. I missed a couple on CL, and other forums because I was only looking and thinking. Now I'm ready and cant find shit! I have kinda expanded my searches to a CRF450, WR450 and a KX450f. 5 or 6 speed, and something I can upgrade the stator on for lighting. I picked these models due to mainly the weight but I understand they probobly arent practical at all to make street legal.

Any suggestions or thoughts on the models? I have been reading about the pros and cons of each but Id like to hear it from some owners. This is going to be a bike just for single track/up north riding and beating on. Bare bones street legal. My KLR 650 is great for driving mild trails, etc. and Its fun to take on camping trips... But tearing up some single tracks ... it just doesnt cut it.

Im wanting an older model (maybe 07 and older) and I'd like to keep it under $3k because I will probobly sink money into it to get it street legal if it isnt already. I thought about 250's as well, but I seem to see alot for sale and the ads always say they are looking to move up to a 450... Cheaper the better, cause I will probobly trash it. Anyone have one just collecting dust in the garage?

Jon
Simple. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #7392
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,997
Don't overlook those 250's

I spent a full day in the woods on a CRF250x and came away very impressed. At 6' and weighing over 220lbs, the only time I felt the need for more power was out in the open flats. How often do we ride there? not much. Trading up for bigger/faster is the american way. Supersize me with a biggie fry thank you. How much time do the 400+cc bikes actually spend at WFO and needing more? Not much. Right now, you have two things going for you. Time and money. The right bike will come along. They always do. In the mean time, try to score a day on a nice high end 250. You may be suprised. This highly opinionated post is coming from a minimalist touring type mind set. I like to ride the smallest, lightest bike I can get and still get the job done. YMMV.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #7393
VetMXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
So I was able to move some old Harley stuff, and I am now on the hunt for something smaller and lighter for some Bruno adventures. I have really been wanting a KTM 400, but damn they are hard to come by. I missed a couple on CL, and other forums because I was only looking and thinking. Now I'm ready and cant find shit! I have kinda expanded my searches to a CRF450, WR450 and a KX450f. 5 or 6 speed, and something I can upgrade the stator on for lighting. I picked these models due to mainly the weight but I understand they probobly arent practical at all to make street legal.

Any suggestions or thoughts on the models? I have been reading about the pros and cons of each but Id like to hear it from some owners. This is going to be a bike just for single track/up north riding and beating on. Bare bones street legal. My KLR 650 is great for driving mild trails, etc. and Its fun to take on camping trips... But tearing up some single tracks ... it just doesnt cut it.

Im wanting an older model (maybe 07 and older) and I'd like to keep it under $3k because I will probobly sink money into it to get it street legal if it isnt already. I thought about 250's as well, but I seem to see alot for sale and the ads always say they are looking to move up to a 450... Cheaper the better, cause I will probobly trash it. Anyone have one just collecting dust in the garage?

Jon

The CRF450X has proven to be a bulletproof ride, and they are usually easy to find. Replace the titanium valves for stainless and the motor will last forever. I have completed three 1100+ mile Cannontreks, a solo 1100+ mile MCCT run, two Rally Connex Paris-Dacre rally's, a half dozen other Canadian rally's, a few GLDS weekends and I drive it back and forth to work just about every day weather permitting (in Sumo trim). Change the oil, clean the filter, wash it every now and then. It's been the best bang for the buck that I have owned. You should be able to find a new leftover for under $6k, and used for under $4k. Check Ebay/Craigslist/Cycletrader, again usually easy to find.
1999 Vulcan Drifter 1500
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469494
VetMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #7394
VetMXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
I spent a full day in the woods on a CRF250x and came away very impressed. At 6' and weighing over 220lbs, the only time I felt the need for more power was out in the open flats. How often do we ride there? not much. Trading up for bigger/faster is the american way. Supersize me with a biggie fry thank you. How much time do the 400+cc bikes actually spend at WFO and needing more? Not much. Right now, you have two things going for you. Time and money. The right bike will come along. They always do. In the mean time, try to score a day on a nice high end 250. You may be suprised. This highly opinionated post is coming from a minimalist touring type mind set. I like to ride the smallest, lightest bike I can get and still get the job done. YMMV.
I raced a CRF250 in the Vet class competitively for a few years. When I gave up racing I converted it to dual sport, but it was just too small for any road work. If you want a bike for dual sport use, stick to the 450. You will be much happier with it over the 250 on the road sections from the house to the trail and back.
1999 Vulcan Drifter 1500
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469494
VetMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #7395
flyingbeard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Weather

Hi Guys! Just checked the weather channel, most of the rain should move through by noon. They are calling for party cloudy conditions for the rest of the day. See you all in a few hours...: FB
flyingbeard is offline   Reply With Quote