ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post
Sorry man. It wouldn't keep up with you.
It wouldn't keep up with a twitching unconscious dude snoring face-down in the dirt?

If my 60CSx had a bigger screen, maybe I would've spent less time looking for the track & more time watching where I was going.

Fuck you, Rob.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Actually, for yachts, YES. But for m/c's, not true. I spoke to a developer for Garmin in Puerto Vallarta in 2006 at a yacht show and he told me that the yachting community wanted a touch screen. Since then, the M/C community has started really loading up on GPS's, making us one of the largest purchasers of GPS's behind trkkers and backpackers.

So, if the M/C community made it clear what they wanted, it might happen. More people can afford an M/C than a yacht afterall, which makes for more purchasers.
But isnt a GS kinda like a yacht?

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Garmin stopped making the BEST GPS system ever made, hands down, about five years ago. The 276/376/478 series is hands down the best GPS system ever made for dirt bikes. It has the largest screen, is virtually bomb proof, doesn't have any of that lame touch-screen crap.
They were too reliable, Garmin wants to sell units and map updates.

I have a Zumo 450 which I really like but it is going to break again I know. The touch screen is nice and works well when it works
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
I want a GPS that I can read while the screen is loaded with dust...
Then we'll also have to add a bluetooth enabled heads up display for the helmet......
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Then we'll also have to add a bluetooth enabled heads up display for the helmet......
Oakley has a new set of $600 ski goggles with a heads up display in them.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,847
I went thru four Zumo 450's and three 376C's. They aren't hardened enough for real dirt riding and I was using the damped Touratech mounts too.

If a Garmin product is dead it's because they know the real numbers for all the failed units and they killed it to save their reputation.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I went thru four Zumo 450's and three 376C's. They aren't hardened enough for real dirt riding and I was using the damped Touratech mounts too.

If a Garmin product is dead it's because they know the real numbers for all the failed units and they killed it to save their reputation.
Actually, Like I said in earlier post, when I was in PV in '06 and drinking with a Garmin developer at a yacht show, I asked him about this same thing. He said that they ditched the 276/376 series simply because everyone was asking for the new touchscreen technology. He even said it was the best platform that they ever built.

Honestly, for the 10 years that I owned my 43 footer, I had one GPS, a 276. Never missed a beat and you can ask Herrhelmet about this, anything that could live on my boat for a decade had to be tough....or have a very strong liver.

My current 276 has been through hell and back and I've launched it off the bike at least ten times onto rocks, into mud and streams/rivers, dropped it off the roof of the SUV, etc. I did have a slight issue with it last week riding the Greenhorns, but it simply tore an electrical connection when it launched off the bike during a crash. Rewired it, and it works just fine.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
They were too reliable, Garmin wants to sell units and map updates.

I have a Zumo 450 which I really like but it is going to break again I know. The touch screen is nice and works well when it works
Designed obsolescence, I'm sure is a big part of it.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,605
I have the 478 on the SE,,,,it really is very nice.....

Now that they are gone....I hate to say it but I am really liking the Montana....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
OK, notmybikemodelname, I'm convinced and since you've taken the lead on this where's the petition? How do you intend to present a convincing result oriented offering to Garmin? As someone mentioned previously the 60csx I'm using also just ain't cutting it visual wise so I'm in with your program.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,847
Quote:
Actually, Like I said in earlier post, when I was in PV in '06 and drinking with a Garmin developer at a yacht show, I asked him about this same thing. He said that they ditched the 276/376 series simply because everyone was asking for the new touchscreen technology. He even said it was the best platform that they ever built.

I call that towing the company line. Need to drink with a former employee to get the truth.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
OK, notmybikemodelname, I'm convinced and since you've taken the lead on this where's the petition? How do you intend to present a convincing result oriented offering to Garmin? As someone mentioned previously the 60csx I'm using also just ain't cutting it visual wise so I'm in with your program.
Just measuring the riding publics interest at the moment. If I can see enough interest in building a real riding GPS, then we can put somethign together based on the 276/376/478 platform and throw it at them to see if they'll bite. The tooling is still around in their warehouse somewhere, I'm sure. Just update the guts and move it on out. I know it's not that simple, but hey, remember when they came out with "new" Coke, the people spoke and they brought the "old" Coke back. Can't hurt to try. Besides, with running my current business and developing a new one, riding, the kids, the wife, the dog, paying bills and strip clubs, I have plenty of spare time.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,677
i prefer the RAM mount, knowing that if i loop my bike, the mount will break first before the unit. those Touratech expensive mounts are too rigid and i feel they wouldn't give/break. ever.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #29
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I went thru four Zumo 450's and three 376C's. They aren't hardened enough for real dirt riding and I was using the damped Touratech mounts too..
Maybe that was your problem; I just use a Ram mount. With a big hit the unit will move. I think rubber mounting is better for damping vibration.
Not that I do anything on my big GS that I would call real dirt riding but I bottom the suspension a lot, mostly on rough paved roads. In fact I broke my rear shock in two at one point, I hit so hard.
Anyway, none of that caused my 450 to fail. The screen shorted out, I suspect from water.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Maybe that was your problem; I just use a Ram mount. With a big hit the unit will move. I think rubber mounting is better for damping vibration.
Not that I do anything on my big GS that I would call real dirt riding but I bottom the suspension a lot, mostly on rough paved roads. In fact I broke my rear shock in two at one point, I hit so hard.
Anyway, none of that caused my 450 to fail. The screen shorted out, I suspect from water.
+1 I have 3 Ram mounts. I on the KTM 450, BMW F650 and one in my van.

I beat the shit out of all my bikes. I even let TBarstow ride mine in KotW 2011 and he sheared off the Ram mount completely. 276 still works.