Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #46
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
I vote for camping, if: the weather is reasonably good- some rain is not bad, bear safe area-keep your food at least 200+ yards away from where your tent is and up on a branch at least 10ft or more, or bear safe locker.

I was in BC and Yukon this summer and rained pretty much everyday and Pour some nights when I was camping, not fun but I had a waterproof tent and that made more tolerable.
I'd rather be camping in the rain than riding in the rain.
I was very impressed by some of the campsites in Canada.

Enjoy your ride.

achtung3 screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 07:59 PM
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #47
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 839
For me, camping is part of the adventure. I get a great deal of personal satisfaction at the end of the day when I'm lying in my sleeping bag listening to the leaves, birds, bugs or rain pattering outside whilst reading a book by flashlight.

I also have a tendency to gloss over my bad camping experiences and remember only the good ones...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #48
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
The 50/ 50 factor. I did my cross Canada trip last year for 60 days, and I ended up in one hotel.Just about every town has a rec-center to have showers, and there are no shortages of lakes and rivers to go swiming in. I set up my tent on free land, and I saved about $5900 "at a $100 per room." The saved money filled my fuel tank up for the 60.000 km bike ride. Saving money means more miles, and more miles mean more fun. Bike and tent if you know how to do it, and if your that type of person, then hotel it.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada.
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #49
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
The 50/ 50 factor. I did my cross Canada trip last year for 60 days, and I ended up in one hotel.Just about every town has a rec-center to have showers, and there are no shortages of lakes and rivers to go swiming in. I set up my tent on free land, and I saved about $5900 "at a $100 per room." The saved money filled my fuel tank up for the 60.000 km bike ride. Saving money means more miles, and more miles mean more fun. Bike and tent if you know how to do it, and if your that type of person, then hotel it.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada.
Sounds like a very cool trip.... wish I had the time

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #50
Back Tire Brad
Dryden rider

Oddometer: 29
Fire, Beer, and buddies what can be better. There is also something to be said about a soft bed and a hot shower.
Back Tire Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #51
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
As it is my first real XC Trip, and our goal is to do all of Canada Coast to Coast my question is, keep in mind leaving financial factors out. Is it worth to Camp out vs Hotel/motels and why?
Have done it both ways and there are merits to all. Camping is a cheaper way to go, especially in the summer travel season when motels have top rates. Most places i have been are typically between $10 and $20 for a tent site although if you want a place that has amenities such as hot showers, a restaurant etc the price will go up accordingly. You will also normally meet and talk to a lot more people when you camp vrs motel

When you camp you have to factor in the time needed to set up and tear down. Also sometimes you do not get the best nights sleep in a tent and that can result in a tired days ride the next day. That tiredness can get accumulative, so plan on a motel once in a while to get proper rest. You will enjoy your trip more. Another thing is get a bigger tent than you think you will need. Minimum for a single individual is a 2 person and a 3 person for a couple. Also make sure it has a decent vestibule to put boots and stuff under.

Also if it looks like a long rain storm, plan on the motel. Riding in the rain with proper gear is not that bad but nothing is more frustrating than setting up or tearing down camp in the rain.

Camping or moteling it, stay away from the branded franchises when you can. Small mom and pop operations are great. Some times you will get a dud but I have done a bunch of this and I don't think there are any that i would not go back to (except maybe one camp place in Swift Current). In the west there are a lot farm or oil patch workers using camp sites and they can not only be costly but are not really pleasant with lots of activity 24 hrs a day.

So go enjoy your trip. Take your camping gear and take your time. Be a fair weather traveller. Camp when the weather and situation suits it, motel when you think you need it, and don't let the economics run your vacation.

Quote:
I guess what I meant to say was..... bear in mind this trip will take us to some remote (not completely remote) parts of the country Ontario - NWT, I'm trying to figure out bearing in mind the physical toll of riding 8 -10 hours a day + the added work of setting up camp etc... VS. pulling into a hotel/motel and going from there. If I were to camp and I know it's not always possible I would be winging it, because I don't have pre-determined spots where I will stop to camp out. Essentially, I will ride till I get tired, and when I do I'd just set up camp. Remember, I'm a rookie and don't have many long distance adventures under my belt so I wouldn't be good at judging the when, the where, the who?

Another factor eating away at me is provisions/supplies especially for a journey of the size I want to take part in. should I get used to eating power bars, and meal replacement type deals? maybe beans out of a can, I'm not picky.
We took a trip to Alaska and NWT this summer. There are lots of available camping locations all the way up. We had no daily plan and it worked out al right. I think there was one night where we had to do a bit of searching but it was daylight for 24 hrs so no worries about travelling at night

As a far as food goes, your choice. Packing food and cook gear along with cooking pots and dishes takes room. If I were to do it again (and I will) Ideally I would have some cereal cereal bar in the morning. (That being said i like my morning coffee so I usually stop to get one at some point in the morning.) For lunch stopping at a grocery store and getting some yogurt, fruit or other snack or just a bowl of soup and toast at a restauant, then restaurant it for the late meal, but don't leave it to late. If you plan to ride late, stop and eat earlier and then put your extra miles on.

One thing we found this summer heading north was that food was probably the most costly item. Even gas and accommodation was not an issue. Gas was in the $1.35-$1.50/l for premium (the highest was $1.80 a litre for premium at the Esso in Inuvik), Our tents sites averaged $15 and motels around $80-100 but food ended up to be the issue. If you wanted to eat burgers/sandwiches and fries then it was not bad but going beyond that at a restaurant got costly.

Quote:
all very excellent and knowledgeable replies I must say. I now have a mental picture or outlay of what I require more or less for my trip cross country. for those of you who haven't seen my bazillion posts of route I am basically starting from Toronto and want to go all the way up the Dempster trail To Inuvik. I really don't plan on sticking to the route 100% I plan on some interesting detours that some of the other members pointed out to me.

I plan on taking a few small trips next spring to get me,myself and my passenger all comfortable with the Idea of a long distance journey.
Did that exact ride this summer, (except the Toronto-Dryden part) if you have any questions it is fresh in my mind so don't hesitate to drop a line. One thing that you will have to adjust to is the 24 hr daylight. That can make it a bit tough to get a full rested nights sleep so make accommodation for some lighter days when you get tired.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 11:53 AM
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #52
corney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I have ridden to Hyder Alaska, Montana, Koteenies twice and other short trips in Saskatchewn with my riding buddies. Fifty nights in a tent, one in hotel and one in a B&B when we hit a prairie storm from **! It's the way we like to roll.

If you are around Saskatoon, SK contact me and you have access to a place to set up a tent and a shower. We are building a house out at Blackstrap Lake this summer so I won't have a shop until September 2013. We'll even feed you and I may indulge in some adult beverages!

corney screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 06:21 PM Reason: Date error
corney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #53
alberta bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Check out the tent space list for some of your camping and trip planning .

Sabre
"The point is, you can survive. I did, and I'm no superhero. I'm just a man, full of faults and poison and sadness and hatred, full of joy and fears and pain and happiness, full of love for my fellow man and my kids and unfortunately not enough for myself, but I'm learning."
alberta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #54
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by isplat2 View Post
When camping in bear country always park your bike facing the way "out".....Quick get-away.
Also, if you're sleeping under a lean-to by your bike, pitch your bedroll out on the side away from the sidestand, so if it falls over, it falls away from you.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #55
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
klay,...goood advice....not that i dont use a tent, but for those minimalists out thar....
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #56
Forest Cop
Forest Cop

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
all very excellent and knowledgeable replies i must say. I now have a mental picture or outlay of what i require more or less for my trip cross country. For those of you who haven't seen my bazillion posts of route i am basically starting from toronto and want to go all the way up the dempster trail to inuvik. I really don't plan on sticking to the route 100% i plan on some interesting detours that some of the other members pointed out to me.

I plan on taking a few small trips next spring to get me,myself and my passenger all comfortable with the idea of a long distance journey.
that sounds like an awesome trip.....can't wait for spring!
Forest Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #57
Forest Cop
Forest Cop

Oddometer: 14
Sturgis South Dakota

Went for a ride from Windsor On. to Rapid City,South Dakota this past summer. We stayed in motels most nights, just because it's nice to have a hot shower and a soft bed to snooze! The weather was sunny and hot! 40C on the tarmac. We did stay at one state park. I had reserved a cabin for about $56 US. It was great. Nice and clean, two bunk beds. We had our camp gear as well, so we just had to use our sleeping bags. Great trip all around.
So, my only comment is to be prepared for all possibilities and take advantage of what is available...showers, campfires, dry motel rooms on a rainy night...etc.

Forest Cop screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:01 AM
Forest Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #58
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
in any event I'm up for a huge challenge... God only knows we won't be sticking to the route because we are going to find more places to stop and see!! I'm still planning.. the hardest thing to plan is what to take/what NOT to take.. What type of gps is for this kind of trip etc.....
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #59
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,296
What not to take....I still get caught and I have been doing that for a long time. Leaving for a few weeks, that's half a day finding/packing my stuff and days later....why the heck did I bring that. Really worked on that last summer, got it now....!

Seen too many unnecessarily overloaded bikes in campgrounds and on the road. Looks like an explosion when they unpack and takes too much time to repack and go in the morning.

Make a pile, look at it and then you can probably leave lots of it behind. The cheap stuff, always to be found somewhere if you really need it that is.

Do not fill the luggage to the brim, keep some room you'll need it if only for food or beverages.And prioritize for safety....dry, warm and well fed!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #60
sherpaguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
Some where in the advrider web sit there is a tent space thread, that includes piles of people offering their yard for you to camp... So far I have never left anyone outside, i have fed everyone coming through the door.. and usually a few laughs with beer... Sounds like a little home work will get you near a free trip except for gas... if I find the thread i'll post it...

edit: ask google its says the thread is in trip planning.... d'oh!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585
I agree with shipwreck here. The wife and I crossed Canada and some states this past summer (15000kms) we received some great hospitality off tent space inmates. We are now on that thread ourselves. Lots of room here.On our trip we mostly camped but promised ourselves a restaurant breakfast after a couple of hours ride in the mornings.

Leave the gps at home-use hard copy-who can resist giving travelers advice when you see them pouring over a map!

sherpaguy screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 06:30 AM
sherpaguy is offline   Reply With Quote