Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
At 63 I would have a look at the FZ1 instead. It is 150lbs lighter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=339

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 08:02 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by twray View Post
Anyone ever switched from GS/GSA to a FJR1300 and have any imput? I just sold my GSA, it was too tall and as I get older, 63, I wont be doing anymore serious offroad stuff. The new FJR sounds nice with cruise, heated grips and other new upgrades.
Thanks in advance.....

I actually went the other way,,,from an FJR to a 12GS. And it was for comfort issues, my knees could not take the cramped riding position,,,,FJR's are for those 6' or shorter, my 6'4" body was too cramped up.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I actually went the other way,,,from an FJR to a 12GS. And it was for comfort issues, my knees could not take the cramped riding position,,,,FJR's are for those 6' or shorter, my 6'4" body was too cramped up.
You are definitely on a bike that gives you more room! I am glad sometimes I'm just under 6', the FJR fits me pretty well.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,643
I have sat on the FJR and Concours. Never ridden either one. But I found their ergos very similar to the EX500, which I have owned and ridden, and sold because of severe arthritis, mostly knees, shoulders and neck. I would not be able to ride the FJR or Concours very far without pain. Never been on an R-GS either, but if it is similar to a KLR650, that was way more comfortable than the EX500. But now it would be a problem too, it would be very hard for me to lift my leg over the high seat. Right now my only choices for comfort are either a Goldwing or a cruiser, and I have one of each. I would love to combine them in one bike with the new FB6, but can't afford it right now.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
gary37601
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Fjr

Well I'm on bike 37 now....I've had 2 ST1100's, 2 ST1300's and I'm on my 3rd FJR. I'm a big Honda fan but I like the FJR better. Bit smaller, bit lighter and to me looks a bit more like a motorcycle. I've done 5-7000 mile trips on all of them.
gary37601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have sat on the FJR and Concours. Never ridden either one. But I found their ergos very similar to the EX500, which I have owned and ridden, and sold because of severe arthritis, mostly knees, shoulders and neck. I would not be able to ride the FJR or Concours very far without pain. Never been on an R-GS either, but if it is similar to a KLR650, that was way more comfortable than the EX500. But now it would be a problem too, it would be very hard for me to lift my leg over the high seat. Right now my only choices for comfort are either a Goldwing or a cruiser, and I have one of each. I would love to combine them in one bike with the new FB6, but can't afford it right now.

Don't expect more leg room with a Goldwing. Worse than an FJR.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
Whosoever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I went from the FJR to the GS800

I had a 2006 FJR 1300 and I loved it. However, as I got older the bike was just too heavy for me. On the highway it was wonderful but as soon as one got on anything other than hard surface it was handful. Trading for a 2009 GS800 was good for me. Although taller than the FJR my inseam took it in stride. The 800 was quite a bit lighter and the riding position much more comfortable. After adding a Wunderlech Windscreen to the 800 I was really surprised how comfortable it rode on the highway. The FJR with the electric windscreen and faring gave great windprotection. However I don't find that much difference with the 800 furthermore the FJR was much more susceptable to crosswinds....especially quarterly winds coming at a 45 degree angle to the rider. With a top box on the rear of the bike and a gap between the butt of the rider and the box when a quarter wind strikes you, you will think you're having a rear flat tire. I didn't like that at all. Another thing that surprised me was the horsepower difference. The FJR has around 125 at the rear wheel and six speeds. Great torque and incredible speed. However, the GS800 with 85 hp yet less weight comes close to "basic" performance of the bigger bike. In short....I am very comfortable with the trade off and the BMW 6 speed tranny is super smooth....more so than the Yamaha.
Whosoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
smoker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
[QUOTE=Whosoever;20237115] The FJR has around 125 at the rear wheel and six speeds. QUOTE]

I got ripped off then, mine only has 5 speeds.
smoker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
The FJR has around 125 at the rear wheel and six speeds.
I got ripped off then, mine only has 5 speeds.
I heard you can get the extra cog at the dollar store...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #25
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Neutral is a speed.