ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #1531
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer
 
kaosrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Oddometer: 790
More Pictures

Good write up Mr Guns...

Here is Waybill leading



Practicing our formations







It was a little dusty





Into the Woods...









The 2 350s leading the way,,,



The mandatory rest stops













Some trail clearing in the event we can bring the GS ride back here..







And for the Star of the Day..









No not Wolfgang, CARSON!





Good Day
kaosrider is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #1532
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr
 
Dr.Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 9,707
Nice pics!

I don't know if you went as far south as Astor but there's a great restaurant there called Sparky's .
__________________
Stay half-assed, my friends. -- Mike West

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #1533
duckboy810
Gnarly Adventurer
 
duckboy810's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 242
that looks like an awesome group/ride! i cant wait to ride there in a week or two any areas better than the rest?
__________________
KTM ADV 990R
SUZ DRZ 400S
KAWI KLR 250
Instagram: Duckboy810
duckboy810 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #1534
waybill
cheap thrill
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: N. Fla.
Oddometer: 611
Good stuff yall, here's a couple more I liked.










and yeah, hero of the day, the indefatigable Carson.

__________________
Bill

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #1535
waybill
cheap thrill
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: N. Fla.
Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Nice pics!

I don't know if you went as far south as Astor but there's a great restaurant there called Sparky's .
Didn't get that far south and haven't been there, believe I've seen it though, west of the bridge? always cars in the lot. Thanks for the tip, we'll try it.
__________________
Bill

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #1536
D6066
Lost in the Woods
 
D6066's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: St. Johns, FL
Oddometer: 135
Good stuff Guns!

That deep stuff just make me want to practice it more so I get better at it.

If I don't come back in sore, tired, and wanting to do it all again tomorrow (ok...I'll skip the bruised ribs next time), I'm in the wrong sport.

I'm not going to let a "little" sand ruin my day.
D6066 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #1537
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!
 
mr_guns's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by D6066 View Post
Good stuff Guns!

That deep stuff just make me want to practice it more so I get better at it.

If I don't come back in sore, tired, and wanting to do it all again tomorrow (ok...I'll skip the bruised ribs next time), I'm in the wrong sport.

I'm not going to let a "little" sand ruin my day.
__________________
14 R1200GSA (Betsy)
11 Beta RS-450
09 V-STROM 1000
06 DRZ-400S
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1538
waybill
cheap thrill
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: N. Fla.
Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy810 View Post
that looks like an awesome group/ride! i cant wait to ride there in a week or two any areas better than the rest?
It's a vast place (by Eastern standards) kinda hard to describe w/o a detailed map. It's pretty dry now so most of the twotrack is soft. But the closer to the river the firmer it gets, which normally is muddy or under water. We were a little south of Salt Springs and then east and northeast of it after lunch, but that's a tiny amount of the places you can go, the whole thing is over 600 square miles. There's a ranger station at the Salt Springs shopping center and they've got some decent maps but don't show everything. Here's one of the OHV trail areas, and just to warn ya they get pretty chewed up by 4-wheelers. Maybe as it gets closer some of us could meet you on a weekend and ride around a little.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5196233.pdf
__________________
Bill

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #1539
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Summer-N. Catskills,NY; Winter-Ocala NF, FL
Oddometer: 912
If one of you had been kind enough to announce in this thread that you were going to be n the Salt Springs area, I would have liked to join you. I live in the forest just north of Salt Springs (off NFR66).

I passed on 19 on the way to a party as you were all packing it up at the end of the day, so was curious to see if it was CADS and if it had been announced here. (NO it wasn't.)
__________________
Dick (near) Oneonta, NY
Honda 90 Step thru (sold) Honda 305 Dream (sold) GS650 (sold) CBR900RR (totalled) GSX1100G (sold)
Two Hawk-GTs (sold) DRZ400S (sold) 250 Ninja (sold) Two Super Sherpas (sold) VX800, SV650 track bike
ny-wolcott is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #1540
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!
 
Day13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Jax. FL
Oddometer: 664
We didn't have THAT much fun. Well... maybe.

This is a video link. Just click on it. Smugmug is acting funky.



Day13 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 04:48 AM
Day13 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #1541
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer
 
kaosrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny-wolcott View Post
If one of you had been kind enough to announce in this thread that you were going to be n the Salt Springs area, I would have liked to join you. I live in the forest just north of Salt Springs (off NFR66).

I passed on 19 on the way to a party as you were all packing it up at the end of the day, so was curious to see if it was CADS and if it had been announced here. (NO it wasn't.)
Hi Dick,

Sorry, we almost did.. We used to post up rides that we were planning. When no one would show up we figured no one wanted to ride with us. Then it got worse than that. We would meet for our weekly meeting to try and talk each other into actually riding. 5 or 6 heads would enthusiastically agree to "ride this weekend" then all would end up bailing out and we would have an announcement posted that we were riding and no one would be going. So it gets you a little gunshy of leading folks on.. As an example last ride there were 2 of us that actually showed up out of the 10 or so at dinner... Just so you know, I am as guilty as anyone. I have to say "I want to go", but then have to wait until the night before or sometimes 20 minutes before leaving to determine if I have permission to actually go riding . Some of us have people we have to answer to...

Anyway, we will try for a heads up next time. We will likely be in the Salt Springs area until the January GS ride.

Hopefully we will see you next time, Cheers
kaosrider is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #1542
duckboy810
Gnarly Adventurer
 
duckboy810's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 242
oh yea for sure! ill be lurking on here for 2 weeks until i get down that way


Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
It's a vast place (by Eastern standards) kinda hard to describe w/o a detailed map. It's pretty dry now so most of the twotrack is soft. But the closer to the river the firmer it gets, which normally is muddy or under water. We were a little south of Salt Springs and then east and northeast of it after lunch, but that's a tiny amount of the places you can go, the whole thing is over 600 square miles. There's a ranger station at the Salt Springs shopping center and they've got some decent maps but don't show everything. Here's one of the OHV trail areas, and just to warn ya they get pretty chewed up by 4-wheelers. Maybe as it gets closer some of us could meet you on a weekend and ride around a little.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5196233.pdf
__________________
KTM ADV 990R
SUZ DRZ 400S
KAWI KLR 250
Instagram: Duckboy810
duckboy810 is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1543
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer
 
FLARider1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Homestead, Florida
Oddometer: 1,193
What? No deep sand for the "Big Bikes"......I am comin on knobbies this time, I say bring it on!!

haha....just kidding, sounded good though didn't it!!!!

Will you guys be able to use that pit on base again to do some practice riding in the sand? That helped a lot a couple of years ago when I was there!!!!
FLARider1 is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #1544
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer
 
kaosrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
What? No deep sand for the "Big Bikes"......I am comin on knobbies this time, I say bring it on!!

haha....just kidding, sounded good though didn't it!!!!

Will you guys be able to use that pit on base again to do some practice riding in the sand? That helped a lot a couple of years ago when I was there!!!!
I do think that is the plan. Actually the guys from South Carolina BMW are going to be there. They are supposed to do "some" training to get interest up for the Off road School. Hopefully Bill C can give us some more detail on his Dakar Racing last year.

Oh, and I think there should be enough sand..
kaosrider is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #1545
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?
 
PhiSig1071's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
We didn't have THAT much fun. Well... maybe.

This is a video link. Just click on it. Smugmug is acting funky.


I just happened to have Eric Church's song "Creepin" playing in the background while I watched the video. It fit perfectly.
__________________
Which one of you FF's was it?...FOUNDER!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014