Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #511
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,948
Welcome Jam,

Start a regular thread so we don't take up a lot of Flea Market space.

/5 fenders look exactly like /6 fenders. I am told they are not but I can't see any difference myself. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. The fender brace of course is a /5 item.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #512
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,477
/5 fenders mount differently from /6 I think the lower mount is the same or similar, but the fork brace is different, so the mounting holes are in different places. I've got a brace and a black /5 fender I'd send you for $40 plus shipping. The catch is that the fender has an easily repaired crack at the top mounting point. I can e-mail you some pics if you're interested.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #513
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
/5 fenders mount differently from /6 I think the lower mount is the same or similar, but the fork brace is different, so the mounting holes are in different places. I've got a brace and a black /5 fender I'd send you for $40 plus shipping. The catch is that the fender has an easily repaired crack at the top mounting point. I can e-mail you some pics if you're interested.
They are both the same fender.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #514
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_nut View Post
Hey guys,
Just bought my first airhead and first true restoration job, 1971 R60/5 in silver. Boy do I have a lot to learn.

I'm going to need a bunch of odds and ends, but going to start with the front fender.

So, looking for a front fender and fork brace. It would be great if it were sliver with the blue pin stripe, but not necessary. Patina is fine, but must be structurally solid.

PM me if you got something.

Thanks!
I may possibly have a front fender and brace. I can look this weekend.

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #515
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,378
wtb transmission shift and stem

for a R75/6 5 speed box.

Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #516
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,237
Still got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Ohlins shock off R80 G/S. Just rebuilt and had a heavier spring installed, i think like 3k ago. 550$ shipped conus. The specs were for 2 up travel fully loaded, so it's a heavy bastard. Pm if interested.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Typical rub marks. Also on the piggyback in the above pic.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 04:46 PM
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #517
scalpel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Ohlins

Hardwaregrrl I would have been interested in the OHLINS. Unfortunately shipping to South Africa would be very expensive!! Good luck with the sale!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #518
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpel View Post
Hardwaregrrl I would have been interested in the OHLINS. Unfortunately shipping to South Africa would be very expensive!! Good luck with the sale!
Dangit! My buddy just got home from Johannesburg visiting family!! Oh well.....hope you find one in your area.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #519
jam_nut
Back Road Explorer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy317 View Post
I may possibly have a front fender and brace. I can look this weekend.
Wow, thanks for all the great welcomes. Decided to do basically a full blown resto, so this is going to be a long journey. I did locate a front fender for a good price, but still need the brace. Looking for almost perfect condition.

As far as starting a thread, not sure I have the attention span to maintain it. We'll see. In the meantime, you're all welcome to go to my photobucket site and see progress there. I have a bunch of pics and will be adding more tonight.

http://s912.beta.photobucket.com/use...%20BMW%20R60-5

So the plan is to dissamble the whole bike and give the motor to Re-Pyscle for a rebuild. Bike only has 26K miles, but compression isn't good. It was sitting in a barn since 1985. Picking up lots of other stuff there as well, but always looking for a good deal.

So, take a look at the pics, if you see something I need and you have it, PM me. Always interested in like new parts and ones that can be brought back to new condition.

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #520
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Vetter Windjammer SS fairing with Cycle Sound AM/FM/CB unit. The fairing came with my R75/6 when I bought it. More pictures can be seen here; http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/u...W%20Slash%206/ There are a total of nine pictures. I hooked up a 12V charger to the radio leads and got nothing, so assume it doesn't work. Maybe just something loose in the connections inside the case...maybe it'll be your lucky day! The windscreen measures 20 3/4" above the radius over the headlight. Headlight unit is included as pictured and the lens has "H4" on it. There is a crack in the fairing over the left turn signal. It's about 5" long as best as I can see, but doesn't really appear to be a major structural weakness. The rest of the fairing is in fair to good condition....no major scratches.... about what you'd expect for something this age. I'll have to check if I have a key for the locking compartment on the right side. Included is the mounting bracket that was on my 1975 R75/6 and the wiring harness to hook into the headlight bucket. One of the pins in the plug is bent slightly, but should be able to be straightened.

I'd prefer it to be picked up since this thing would be a behemoth to package for shipping, but I would ship at the buyer's expense. I guess I could remove the windscreen to get it in a box, but it would still take a BIG box.

I'd like to get $250 for the whole works, but that's not gonna happen, so how about $100.00 (+ shipping if necessary) and you have yourself a Windjammer to keep nice and dry and warm

Contact me...Lynn (573) 788-2574 or winter62@att.net operators and keyboarders are waiting!

IBA Member #49541

lake_harley screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 04:42 PM
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #521
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

You are not supposed to hook a battery charger to electronic items with out also having a battery in the circuit. I'm not an electrical wizard but I have been told this from a reliable source.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #522
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. Did he say what effect it has, problems it causes, or maybe that it just doesn't make things work? I would have sent a PM to ask, but I'm probably not the only one who would beneifit from knowing.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #523
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I think the fact that I don't know anymore than what I stated should be pretty plain. "I have been told" is the limit of my knowledge. I really thought maybe one of the electrical geniuses could explain it so I was hoping for a little back up. But no, I crawled out on this limb and I can sit here. Since you need some more info for your files I will add, "I have been told this several times by different people."

You might look at the directions that come with with a battery charger. Do they say you can use their product as an electrical source?

I would not use a battery charger as a power source for something like a radio. It might be different with something like a head light but I gave up on this type of electrical experiment when I was 11 years old so I haven't tried that one either.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm telling you that it was a stupid move to try and test the radio with a battery charger but that may just be the case. If you would hook up a battery now you might find out if the radio does or does not still work.

If any body wants to say that they test radios and electrical components with a battery charger all the time then I apologize in advance but I don't think it is done.

Looks like a nice Windjammer you have there, good luck with the sale. Winter time now so maybe somebody can use it.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #524
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,742
The battery acts as a regulator or like a "heat sink",a "voltage sink" if you will, sort of keeping the highs from too high, and the lows as too low.... battery chargers work like a reflection of what is needed: if it needs a lot, it gives a lot. Without the battery in the circuit, the charger can throw some pretty high voltage.....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #525
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Thanks!

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Closed Thread