Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #121
elemental
Tainted Adventurist

Oddometer: 373
I just bought a 2002 R1150R. Used to have a R1100GS, sold it ten years ago, Did over 100k on that. Snow has stopped play for a couple of weeks, but I'm so happy to be back on a boxer after ten years of other stuff, mainly Triumphs. Character aplenty in the beemers and the R suits me just fine. No need for a GS really, although the R's position is noticeably more compact.Would have liked a R12R but they were twice the price second hand.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #122
pineconeMN
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 745
Where's the love for the older gals? Here's my 1997:

pineconeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #123
BeauBrown
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I love my 2000 R1100R! It may be old, but I'll keep it forever!

2000 BMW R1100R
BeauBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #124
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,313
Laugh Tool kit 2012 R1200R

I added a few things to the tool kit. It didn't come with enough tools to pull the wheels. Snap on 1/4 size rachet with 3/8 drive. Front wheel 21mm hex and socket. T45 for rear tire, The red bar to the left is a cheater.
Waterproof match case, other torx bits swiss arm knife and flash light. A 10 mm wrench because it would not be a tool kit with out one. Air pump and plug kit under the seat.

David
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #125
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I added a few things to the tool kit. It didn't come with enough tools to pull the wheels. Snap on 1/4 size rachet with 3/8 drive. Front wheel 21mm hex and socket. T45 for rear tire, The red bar to the left is a cheater.
Waterproof match case, other torx bits swiss arm knife and flash light. A 10 mm wrench because it would not be a tool kit with out one. Air pump and plug kit under the seat.

David
Are you getting ready for a Trans-Siberia trip? Where's your bead breaker?

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #126
David R

Laugh I hate to be caught un prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
Are you getting ready for a Trans-Siberia trip? Where's your bead breaker?
I have an R75/6. In 1993 I crashed and bent the frame. I replaced the frame with the tool kit that came with the bike.

Its a little dissapointing this bike didn't even come with enough to pull the wheels.

My trips are no longer than a few days, every other weekend, then I go for a week a couple times a year. Last fall I used the tire pump and plugs. I was down for about 20 minutes. Worth being prepared for.

I did not have to remove the wheel. If I trashed the tire I could not replace it my self with the factory original tool kit.

and for the air pump, I have this. String automotive type plugs are in the bag also.

One reason I upgraded from the /6 to an oil head was tubeless tires. Then I upgraded from the oil head to the R1200R for the overhead cams.

David

I am a mechanic and own a garage. Can't be caught with out tools. I also have a few others on the bike. Tire pressure gauge, screwdriver and Leatherman Wave multi tool. A small can of PLexus....
Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #127
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I usually take tire plug kit for multi-day trips. Fortunately, I've never had to used them before. Better prepared than sorry though.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #128
hankamy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
R1200R or the new Honda CB1100

I'm thinking of getting a new bike and wonder what your thoughts are regarding these 2 bikes. I know it's difficult to ignore your loyalty and allegiance to the 12R but I would like your unbiased opinions. Will mostly use bike for pleasure riding but may later do some touring. The MSRP of the Honda with ABS would be ~ $10,500 while the base R package includes ABS for ~ $15,500. I'd like you to consider the difference in cost of these bikes and their relative maintenance expenses, ease of doing your own wrenching, life expectancy, etc. This may not be a fair question for none of you have ridden the new Honda but the reviews have been good. Maybe I should wait till after some of you have had a chance to ride it.

I'll also be posting this question on other forums. Thanks!
hankamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #129
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankamy View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new bike and wonder what your thoughts are regarding these 2 bikes. I know it's difficult to ignore your loyalty and allegiance to the 12R but I would like your unbiased opinions. Will mostly use bike for pleasure riding but may later do some touring. The MSRP of the Honda with ABS would be ~ $10,500 while the base R package includes ABS for ~ $15,500. I'd like you to consider the difference in cost of these bikes and their relative maintenance expenses, ease of doing your own wrenching, life expectancy, etc. This may not be a fair question for none of you have ridden the new Honda but the reviews have been good. Maybe I should wait till after some of you have had a chance to ride it.

I have had many honda and 3 BMW. I still have all the BMW.

Apples and oranges. The BMW is more of an investment. After a 3 year payment program, the BMW will be worth what the honda was new.

My biggest thing. Have you driven a BMW R?

4 cylinder VS 2 cylinder boxer. More night and day.

Telelever...... I love it.

Simply Awesome linked brakes on the BMW

If you get the ABS package, I think the traction control comes with it. Think about that one. It works.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #130
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Like you said in your post, riders mostly favor what they currently ride or have owned. And everyone is different in what their likes and dislikes are on a given motorcycle. Probably the best piece of advice I've seen some one offer another looking to acquire a motorcycle is to test ride and pick the one that's most comfortable and at the same time gives you most fun factor. With that said, 12R will hold its value where CB probably won't. I personally find maintenance on BMW very doable DIY than others, but it does get costly if you had to rely exclusively on dealer maintenance.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #131
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a new bike ...
Haven't ridden or sat on the CB... but I like the look of it. Certainly hits the mark on bringing the CB750 concept to life as far as I'm concerned. I liked my Nighthawk 750, but I loved the 12R.

As David mentioned... apples to oranges as far as ride and features are concerned - especially the telelever and boxer twin. Honestly, some don't like it, so a test ride would be a good idea. I love mine, and when shopping last year I rode just about everything I could and I kept coming back to the BMW. For me, it fits well, handles great, and is a very capable sporty-tourer.

I don't DIY in the driveway and have been to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance, but I planned on that when purchasing. Everything that needs to be done can be done easily at home and there are several forums and the like that can help with tutorials, etc... but i know my limits. I'm not that handy and I'm ok with that.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #132
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,398
Got a bargain of a deal this past July on my 2002 R1150R. She had just over 7k on the odometer but I think I doubled it in a few months.

This winter will find me changing out the tires, adding some aux. lighting, RS mirrors instead of the lollipops and a set of black Kuryakn hand grips w/a throttle boss. And a real horn!

It has the sport fly shield now but I think I like the Givi shield and fairing. Anyone selling one?
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #133
hankamy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks for all the replies. I should also mention that I'm 5'6" and 165 lbs. I've sat on the 12R low seat and am tippy toe on it. But I'm tippy toe on my BMW 650 dual sport now so I'm fairly comfortable with that issue. However, if the situation requires a quick exit, the 12R seat may be a problem.

Both seem equal in the reliability dept. I would expect one might get more miles out of the R. Comfort- I would need bar backs on the R. (Can you stack 2 risers together?) The CB would probably be ok as far as riding position. Power- both are adequate for my riding style. Looks- both look cool, the CB is retro cool. Resale value- I'm the type who will keep a bike a long time so this won't factor into my decision much.

These are the only bikes I'm considering and I'm leaning toward the R. However, the $5,000 difference is substantial and cannot be overlooked. I see the Honda dealers are advertising the CB with ABS for as low as ~$9919. They are expected at the dealers by March or April. I'll have to delay purchase till I try one on.

So, can you in 7 words or less, close the deal on the R for me? And, if the CB was available as an option when you purchased your R, might some of you have purchased the CB instead? Be honest.
hankamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #134
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
And, if the CB was available as an option when you purchased your R, might some of you have purchased the CB instead? Be honest.
No shaft drive. No telelever. No way.

PS: I don't have a R (yet), but the above is my opinion.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #135
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
So, can you in 7 words or less, close the deal on the R for me? And, if the CB was available as an option when you purchased your R, might some of you have purchased the CB instead? Be honest.
As mentioned...I had an R and really liked it. I would honestly say I would have to ride the CB first. The singular problem with the R is that, unless you are fully committed to a no-windscreen bike, it just doesn't work. IOW, if you want a small windscreen to just "take the edge off" the R is a fail. The tank has these infernal tunnels at the leading edge that take wind and route it upwards so it blasts you up from the bottom of your helmet. With no screen, the horizontal wind cancels it out. With a screen, the updraft is just intolerable. Read all the R12R forums about this. It's the No. 1 theme.

So...if you're committed to naked, the R is a great bike. If you're inclined to a small (or large) screen, the CB should be tried first.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote