XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I'm running 12vdc off my stock stator, just need an ac to dc regulator/rectifier. :wink:
  3. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be ok, most chargers (assuming thats what you are hooking up to) only draw about 2A anyway. I'm also assuming you dont have a bunch of other electronic goodies hooked up too because you are asking this question.
  4. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    To Larryboy's point, if you add a regulator you can, but that adds signficantly to the labor and hardware cost for such a limited ROI. I thought this was implicit in your original inquiry, but I guess not to everyone.

While Sintax is right about the nominal draw, the stock stator is pumping out AC; your accessory is specifically asking for DC. So, it goes back to needing to ad the regulator. If I was going to go through this effort, I'd go the extra mile and do it right - by adding the stator/regulator etc.

RZ Rob
  5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
    Enjoy :freaky
  6. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are 100% correct about AC / DC. I always assume everyone on this site is running a dualsport kit which should have a full DC or at least a DC leg of their wiring harness.
  7. Unsung

Unsung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't so much care about lightweight or performance, I just want the strongest, longest lasting ones. When you look at those Ironman rears they don't even look that strong because they're cut down so much for weight savings. Are Ironman the strongest? I plan to put a lot of miles on my bike.
  8. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    The quality of the Ironman is very impressive. That's all I run on my CRF. Eventually I'll put them on my XRs

RZ Rob
  9. superhobie

superhobie Soil Sampler

Oddometer:
    Iron Man sprocket = sprocket for life! I have pounded the hell out of my BRP after buying from Baja TT driver that used it for prerunning he said it probably had around 2000 miles since he had put them on and I have since put around 8000 miles of 80% dirt and they still look like new. I swear they are like Willy Wonkas never ending Gobstopper.
  10. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    So longer throttle and decomp cables are available through motion pro. Was it also necessary to add a longer front brake line? Is so,where was it sourced? Thanks.
  11. tomaszb2

tomaszb2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello :)
    I have a question: Where can I buy too FMF MODEL # S3000 SCREEN TYPE exhaust insert ? Now it's a little too loud on the streets;)
  12. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

If you are looking for just the screen for the FMF, it doesn't make it much quieter.

I'd be looking for the DB insert. Let me know when you find it. I'd like one too!

Love the sound of the FMF, it's just 15DB to loud! haha.
  13. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Not saying they aren't a good product, but for reference I've put 26,000 KM on a 20$ sprocket (Primary Drive). That's 16,250miles.

That's starting with a week of riding in Moab doing many technical trails, Baja, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, back to Mexico, and the CDT back to Canada.

All depends on the terrain you ride it on. Desert is easy on parts compared to our local terrain of mud, rocks, grit, etc. That same set-up would likely only last 2000-4000 km's here. A season on a dirt bike if you are lucky (1000-1500km's). Those are the conditions the Ironman handle better then dirt roads, sand roads, gravel, etc.
  14. BigToad

BigToad The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Honestly I don't remember having to change the decomp cable? Seams to me I was able to get it to work by rerouting however maybe someone else whose tall here has done it recently and can comment

Unfortunately my XR is getting very lonely since breaking my femur last summer on a ride (as usual the XR was ride-able)....for the record my spot or Iphone likely saved my life as I was alone on the side of a mountain...Naturally now I think everyone should have one! for the story and video see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJqZ1TaZ5w (give it a thumbs up if you think a spot is a good idea!)
  15. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

I wouldn't consider a few dollars in diodes (rectifier not regulator) and time required to splice them in to be significant, unless you are unemployed, homeless, and have no thumbs.

I'm just sayin...
  16. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

And do you know how much weight aluminum saves over steel on the sprockets? 4 oz. Four freakin ounces. Double the cost, 1/4 the life, to save 4 oz.
    I wish I was that good to notice the 4 oz less weight, but I am not.
  17. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not hard at all once you make the commitment. Again though, the OP asked if a USB connector was a simple plug-in and the answer is NO. You're going to have to do a little more than just connect it.

I just got done doing the dual sport stator and harness etc., on my XR and granted I was really A/R about it, but it took me a few days to complete.

RZ Rob

[​IMG]
  18. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try not to ride by myself, however most of my buddies are street or dirt, not dual sport. I ended up buying an ACR ResQLink PLB. While it doesn't let your friends know where you are (like a Spot), it let's you notify Search & Rescue via NOAA registration if you get into a life or death situation. It's good for piece of mind.

RZ Rob
  19. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You did a nice job, very clean. Mine started that way, but has evolved to the point that I just cram it all down with my foot while I throw the seat over it before it spills out like intestines.

What is the little black do hickey on the lower left?

20. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is really sexy man! Looks like you did some real good work there.