Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #31
klue
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeman View Post
Forgot to mention that I'm very informed about slingers......will have to do it on this one because no mechanical history at 52k.
Great, others have mentioned on slash 2 that going for that initial ride before cleaning the slingers can
really cost you. Hope you've seen that.

Great looking bike.
klue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #32
weeman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by klue View Post
Great, others have mentioned on slash 2 that going for that initial ride before cleaning the slingers can
really cost you. Hope you've seen that.

Great looking bike.
Yes, it will be gloom & doom if not sorted first. Thanks for your concerns.

Steve
weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
weeman OP
Adventurer

Update

Today I set the valves and torqued the cylinder head bolts then warmed the engine up to get a compression reading.
Left cylinder @ 85psi
Right @ 85psi
When testing I opened both carb sliders by throttle to get these results. This test resulted by an increase of about 25% and now I will adjust both carbs this weekend.
I'm still planning on tearing the motor down this winter to clean the slingers and freshen the engine.
Thanks for all your help!

Steve
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #34
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
did you also open the butterfly on top of propping slider open? both has to be open .. that's why taking carb off is a good way to go.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #35
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,225
Did you get a chance to ride?
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #36
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
Looks like you did good, Headlight mirrors, bar end signals dual solo seats, all nice accessories. /2 BMW's are a great way to get into vintage bikes, bought my 69 R-69-US when I was 27, I'm 64 now and still have it and and 8 others, plus 2 NSU's, 2 Horex's, 2 Victorias, An Austro Omega, and a 46 Indian. It gets in your blood. Ride the BMW's most of the time. Do the slingers, bearings and seals, probably rings and a valve job and with modern oils it will last a lifetime. Have fun
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #37
airheadPete
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Laugh

Yeah, really enjoyed getting my '65 /2 also, a complete barn find that ran. (Rode it up & down the block.) Tore it apart to do those slinger 'thingies' and discovered that solidified crap filled them just up to the level of the crank oil feed holes. Keerrist! That was close! I'd suggest not riding it much with no known maintenance history. It looks great, keep it a happy story. What a great bike for a Sunday afternoon backlane wander!
airheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #38
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

What a great bike for a Sunday afternoon backlane wander!

That bike can run everyday and every way, up until it hit's the Interslab...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #39
weeman OP
Adventurer

danedg-I haven't ridden the bike yet because of needing rebuilt carbs synchronized first. I did change the oil and looked for grey sludge and metal bits but didn't find any. It was very clean in there but that doesn't indicate clean slingers either. Spoke to Vech he suggested a magnet in the pan while rebuilding the engine. Also, when riding my bike where I live it's just a two lane freeway for 40 miles then it gets three lanes all the way south to Seattle. They, (other drivers) can just go around me if they don't like my speed.

isdt BMW- I was very lucky to find this at the price too. I traded a 1965 Hillman Imp race car that I've lost steam on plus very little cash. Yes, the old bikes do get in your blood as most vintage/classic English cars that gave me an isum over 30yrs ago now it's vintage bikes.

airheadPete- Wow, that was close! I'm hoping to be safe as well by tearing mine down. I will revisit this to report after it's done in the spring.

weeman screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 09:32 AM Reason: sentence correction
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
Wish I could have kept mine.....

I STILL have the sound of wringing the engine out to redline, ever so suhweeeeeet!!

btw, those carbs are not the "lifting diaphragm" type as suggested by several posts above: simply cracking the throttle lifts the round slides and allows in plenty of air for compression testing.... one CAN over-analyze all this stuff! Take care of slingers, ride her and enjoy the sweet harmonies of low compression engine, shaft drive and a genteel twin exhaust... 'tis mesmerizing!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #41
weeman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post

I STILL have the sound of wringing the engine out to redline, ever so suhweeeeeet!!

btw, those carbs are not the "lifting diaphragm" type as suggested by several posts above: simply cracking the throttle lifts the round slides and allows in plenty of air for compression testing.... one CAN over-analyze all this stuff! Take care of slingers, ride her and enjoy the sweet harmonies of low compression engine, shaft drive and a genteel twin exhaust... 'tis mesmerizing!

Thanks for the encouraging words and sorry you don't have yours any longer. I guess I was lucky to happen on this one and now get that. I've always loved older machinery that's why I drive my Mk1 Cortina GT when not in my modern work truck. Whenever I need to go fast I'll jump on my r1100rsl to enjoy speed.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #42
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
I didn't check to see if anyone's already said this, but that doesn't apply to slash 2 models. They don't have a butterfly, and the throttle cable pulls the slide, not intake tract vacuum resulting from opening the butterfly as on later models.
Just hold the throttle wide open, and you'll get an accurate compression reading. No need to remove the carbs.

btw, how do you delete an embedded you-tube vid from a quote? Every time I tried, my browser window went blank, and the video soundtrack started running. (sounds pretty sappy, if you don't mind my saying!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
airheads carbs have a sliding piston that blocks air flow when taking a compression reading even with butterfly open. to get an accurate reading one needs to take carbs off or jam piston open.

caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
The ones that sound great being wrung up to redline are the R69 models (the S, and non-S), with their higher compression ratio, and higher redline.

No regrets for me, I'll never sell mine, it's a family heirloom when I'm gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post

caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #44
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

You don't live in NY, do you...

They, (other drivers) can just go around me if they don't like my speed.

You'll get run right the fuck over in my neighborhood if your not hitting a comfortable 80...
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #45
weeman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
They, (other drivers) can just go around me if they don't like my speed.

You'll get run right the fuck over in my neighborhood if your not hitting a comfortable 80...
In my town there'd be a gun battle.