Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,104
Southern Maryland Adventure Riders--Trans West Virginia Trail Take 2!

I remember a dreary winter two years ago. I never knew that an invite to a ride could have such long lasting effects. A dear friend (H14) had extended an invite to join him for a long weekend riding the Trans West Virginia Trail. By my own admission, my Noob status did me no favors in the days to come.

Anyhow, as captured in the below RR, we left with only a flesh wound and lived to ride another day.

RR from 2011 Linky Here

First thing: do not do the same thing again and expect a different result.

2011 TWVT attempt:

It's been a fun two years but I believe the TWVT is well within reach after completing training classes, cornering clinics, membership to single track dirt bike facility, and a TON more miles. It is with confidence that we embark on the 2013 adventure back to the old stomping grounds.

Why the TWVT: Much like a homing pigeon finds his roost, my life long wingmate Blaster has an insatiable urge to ride Canada. I certainly don't mind joining him, but I prefer something with more challenge. This year, we split our differences and are doing a spring TWVT and a fall Canada trip.

The Cast of Characters:
  • Blaster DRZ400
  • Dorito DR200
  • EOD3MC DRZ400
  • GSA_Pilot G450X
  • Joints4Sale 625SXC

For a few days somewhere
  • Macorell24 990
  • Crogfrog
The dates:
9.25 days
Departing Southern Maryland on Friday PM, 3 May (Riding 3 hours on tarmac)
Home Sunday, 12 May

The Track: The track will be about 2000 miles. It will a pruned list from the here:

Linky Here

Realizing that there is way more track (2014 is already in the "early first pass planning" ), I decided to focus on what I thought would be the most bang for the buck.

I really like the WV & TN riding, so I've centered the track around those areas. I also have us going counter-clock wise, so if (when?) we end up short on time, it's the closest stuff to home which can be the most readily visited on another outing.

Right now, the pink links are tarmac and include SoMD to staging, and the southern most turn around point. If someone knows some good dirt for the turn around point, I'd love to hear it.

The plan is to ride about 125-150 miles per day. This was based on the 2011 ride and some of the comments for other RR (which I will link to in the next post). It's hard to say because most folks seem to only do 3-4 days on the TWVT/TET, so lots of RR to review.

Type of trip
Adventure Touring
Given that it is early in the season, and my first real outing on the little beasts, we've decided to go adventure touring. What that means is, we'll be eating most meals at established restaurants and sleeping in a hotel.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Dorito screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 08:16 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Daily Mileage

You would have figured that I would know better than to publically post a notional schedule. It is sort of the first admission that you will be woefully behind schedule. However, I don't intend to be hostage too much to the realities of the universe. Most of the folks indicate that 120-150 miles per day is a nice leisurely pace. Since we aren't really all that remote, I intend to find hotels "on the fly" through the Garmin. It doesn't appear to be more than 20 miles from a major city.

Dorito screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 05:30 PM
Old 12-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,707
reserved for planning information

Placeholder
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 3,020
Crap! Now I gotta buy shit for the KTM.
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
blaster11
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
Crap! Now I gotta buy shit for the KTM.
Yep, that's right another bike that will need money spent on it!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,678
Whooo Hooo.....here we go again

Guess I have to get busy with "Dizzy" (Cheyenne call it that today....kind of like it )
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Weather

It seems that most of the RR indicate lots o rain. Most were in the dead of summer. Will try to find the farmers almanac, but here's the approx. center point of the loop we ride:

Farmers Almanac:
Quote:
—Appalachians: Winter will bring lower temperatures and less precipitation while spring and summer will be warmer and drier than normal.

Dorito screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 05:36 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
It naturally varies year to year, but May isn't a bad choice in terms of temperatures. Temps will be on the rise, maybe still a bit cold at high elevations, but you'll probably be working hard enough to keep warm most of the time. Rain can be a real bitch in the spring. Sometimes it's non-stop, other times it obliges just enough to leave you soaked as the blazing sun comes out.

There are probably many sections like this, but the alt where this picture was taken is particularly vicious:

Even when the water is low enough to cross, you'll find some hellacious puddles to cross further into that alt. They start out deceivingly shallow, then suddenly there's mud bogs the size of tractor trailers. When I did it there were passable routes around the worst of them, but even so there is a TON of deep mud. I'd definitely recommend some good wide spaced knobbies like D606s, or go whole hog and use some pure off-road tires (though beware life on those is not so great).

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post
Even when the water is low enough to cross, you'll find some hellacious puddles to cross further into that alt. They start out deceivingly shallow, then suddenly there's mud bogs the size of tractor trailers.
Which ALT track was that? Right before Marlington?

Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Just south of Huntersville. After the mud mess it turns into a really cool road along the side of a mountain. About 90000000 turns... super fun and gorgeous.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Post #3 updated with mileage approximations.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

So been playing a bit with the DR200. Added an SAE plug direct to the battery, either to run the Gerbings or to trickle charge the battery.

Just about done with mounting the panniers--sandblasted and painted them.

Looks like all the "mods" are done, just need to do a bit of shopping before the trip. I suspect she'll be due for some new shoes, and I will probably see if there is something knobbier than the MT-21s. Lastly, I need to buy the soft bags, but need to see what size the little beast can handle without looking like a Yak.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Tires, tires, so many choices. Just finished getting possible tire options sorted. There are about 23 options for the DR200. Right now, thinking that the D606 would be my best bet for this trip. Lots of grip for mud slinging!

Linky to Tire Compendium

Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
blaster11
Enabler

Time to get started!

So I guess its time to start getting ready for the trip now that I can ride again. So since the last time we attempted this ride we came a bit under prepared in the tire area, we decided that would not happen again. So this time we are going to be running Dunlop D606's.

These should provide plenty of traction and also mileage for the trip without any worries. I am also going to upgrade to Tubliss...hopefully that works out.
Also time for a little maintenance so that I can sit back and enjoy the ride. I replaced the clutch cable and front wheel bearings recently so now its time for a throttle cable, lube rear linkage, and rear wheel bearing replacement. I bought the bike late last year so I am just going through it and setting my baseline for future maintenance. Actually it was a good thing since the front wheel bearings were a bit on the used side. I also had the forks reworked by Cogent so they should be good to go. Doritos forks are getting worked as we speak.
I have already upgraded the gas tank, Wolfman saddlebags/mounts, and rear luggage rack.

blaster11 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 06:42 PM