Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #1786
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
LED accent lighting tucked up in all the holes around the bike.
yup, accent lighting.

my only regret is not getting those lights on there sooner. kept the big OEM signals too, i think i'll try to find some brighter LED lamps for those. then i'll call Sanjoh and get some bigger ADVmonsters, i need to upgrade to 767 landing lights.

...so i was on the way home at dusk Saturday after a short 100 miler, lows and highs on, 44s on, the new LED running lights on, and a woman pulled half a car length out on the highway before hitting the brakes at the start of a left hand turn in front of me.

might have been all those lights, i'll take 'em.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #1787
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Love the lights!

Many believe that loud pipes save lives, I believe that bright lights go one step further and save adrenaline. Especially the rider's adrenaline! When cager's see the bike at a distance and don't do stupid things, we don't have to react - or leave pucker marks on the seat... ;)

Well done!
Dave

Sent from my iPad2
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #1788
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Love the lights!
hey, me too.

cagers going freakin' nuts, gotta ramp up the defenses...or i guess they're called "accents", whatever.

long day trip coming up, multistate night run back to the shop. i'd rather have them than not.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #1789
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 213
Are those tail lights ADVmonsters LED 44 with red filter or any other? If so how did you wire them up?
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #1790
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
Are those tail lights ADVmonsters LED 44 with red filter or any other? If so how did you wire them up?
no, the 44s are pointed out the front.

the three new sets of LED lights, plus new white LED strip light for the license plate, are all just commonly available commercial truck/trailer lights.

these lights are Grote brand, but all the light manufacturers have similar lights, including metric equivalents available outside the USA. not all lights of the same size are equal, with the difference being the LED type and count per light. the more the better.

the round lights are Grote Hi Count, and you purchase the assembly in three parts, light, mounting grommet, and pigtail. the cost per assembly is $10-12USD depending on where they're purchased. the grommet mounting hole is listed at 2 5/16" for this brand, and a 2 1/4" hole saw works fine. do NOT undersize or oversize the hole, the grommet will not fit correctly.

the LED brake lights are Grote Micro Nova, and come with the grommet and pigtail as a single sealed unit. these lights are very bright for their size, and the instructions list a 3/4" mounting hole. i found the 3/4" hole slightly undersize, and enlarged it with a step drill bit. try fit the light, you don't want this hole oversized either.

i had a damaged OEM license plate light from an ER6, so i cut the factory pigtail off this light and connected the new marker lights and license plate light. this pigtail plugs right into the factory wiring harness.

the new LED brake lights were connected to the harness at the OEM tail light section of the wiring harness.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #1791
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

bike finally all back together, except for the gravel guard, which was removed so i could think about some options. i needed to clean all the baked on mud off the headers too. wiping everything down, i found the right front motor mount bolt loose again. this bolt was installed with red thread locker and still came loose, there must be some extreme stresses at work.

couldn't resist, i had to turn off the shop lights...

can ya see me now.

the little custom fiberglass tail works real well too.

strong and durable assembly, no more plastic tabs holding things together.

oh yeah, road trip...
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #1792
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Well you won't need to hide this horse behind the barn. Looks sharp.

I suspect if you get in a wreck, the whole bike will come apart before that tail piece does.

-David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #1793
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Well you won't need to hide this horse behind the barn. Looks sharp.

I suspect if you get in a wreck, the whole bike will come apart before that tail piece does.

-David
i think you could lift the rear of the bike off the ground by gripping the rear fender assembly.

road trip...depart in the dark, return in the dark, now i get to test things. a little gravel, but all graded, so i won't miss the guard.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #1794
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossb8 View Post
...2001 200 exc front end (300$ + shipping) because I recently saw a ninja ADV conversion using this same front that I am currently trying to get rid of (with out ebay taking my money). Its complete with the 43mm wp forks, front wheel, brake, master cylinder, and of course triple tree...

you're better off starting a thread in the FM parts section, it will get more exposure there.

not a bad price, but i don't think it's all that worthwhile to swap in a set of new forks less than a 46mm late model on these motos. these builds end up at 400#, and require some beef on the front end, especially if run hard. if it was a 48mm WP front, i'd buy them myself.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #1795
mossb8
Mechanic I guess

Oddometer: 1
Thanks, and will do
mossb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #1796
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,668
Welcome aboard mossb8. JD is too gracious, you are spamming his build/maintenance thread I'd recommend deleting your post, take it to the Flea Market.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #1797
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Welcome aboard mossb8. JD is too gracious, you are spamming his build/maintenance thread I'd recommend deleting your post, take it to the Flea Market.

well, gracious is free, but there's always a price to be paid for rude.

what's this "maintenance thread" all about? heck, i did show ya a cool way to mount some ADVmonsters on your rat bike, ya know, just in case you're able to source them.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #1798
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

mounted my black Wolfman bags...

i get my Wolfman products from Berg Briggs at Backroads Moto

http://brmoto.com/

Briggs' shop fabricates all the mounts that Wolfman sells with their products, but Berg also sells the full line of other Wolfman products. he's an ADV vendor, and will discount a little for forum members. a good guy to deal with for anything Wolfman.

i had two Wolfman bottle holders, and i had Berg send me two more. it looks like Wolfman increased the ID a little, a good thing, the earlier version was too tight on most 1L bottles.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #1799
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
JD, the new tail looks good. The bike looked good in white, but I understand going back to red, they are faster in that color.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #1800
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
JD, the new tail looks good. The bike looked good in white, but I understand going back to red, they are faster in that color.
if you liked the bike in that old while, you would really like this new white, much cleaner and brighter white. that new red on the tank is one of the fastest reds i've ever encountered, way way fast.

as a Kawasaki ptwin builder yourself, i'm sure you've come to appreciate the capabilities of these bikes. the little day trip yesterday was 619 miles of secondary roads, gravel, and I system. everything from creeping through mud in 1st, to 80mph cruise, riding in ten hours daylight, six hours dark. just a solid performer in so many areas.

i did have another left turner incident last night, couldn't see who the driver was. i'm not sure what they finally see before slamming the brakes, but it might be that new amber LED marker light, it's plenty bright and stands out.