ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #196
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 3,428
I am truly an ADV rider now. Flights from hell, canceled and stranded in Atlanta on Wednesday night. Finally made it into Richmond Virginia Thursday afternoon. Purchased my bike, somehow got it loaded with a ton of shit and rode 80 miles of twisties into the Appalachia's and camped on the Virginia/West Virginia border at 3000 feet. Found a small little grassy road and got the tent pitched at dark thirty before rain. A great head lamp still sucks in the rain and dark. I made an island in the tent and called the river running through the KLR river. Lightning, mega rain, thunder the whole deal. Wet tent, wet bag, wet stuff, wet and cold bike this morning. I kept thinking that a hotel with a shower and cable is so over rated. I did buy a cheap $4 dollar tripod stool. It was awesome in the tent, securing all my wet gear on top of other wet gear in a vain attempt to keep vital stuff dry. Rode 340 miles today and made it to my Mom;s house. 2 lane road travel takes triple the time of an interstate. I took pictures, I stopped at cool places, I road wet roads in the fog covered in leaves. I passed coal trucks and had to brake hard too many times going down hill into crazy hair pins. How come they don't make wind shield wipers for motorcycle helmets? How are you supposed to see at night in the rain? I also rode wind trials today. Cross wind madness, really. I had to push my left handle bar and lean 45 degrees over the bars to hold my line. I felt like Kenny Roberts and Bernie Schriber riding in serious post storm winds today. I found the wind very rude. Fall colors have just peaked in many areas. New River, the Gaulle River, Greenbank WVA, Pocahontas County is very wild and wonderful.


No real ride report yet, but I'm working on it. Just thought I would say hello. See ya on the trail. Ateam and the KLR - Jo Jo
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #197
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jetjackson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Europe on a Motorbike :)
Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
I kept thinking that a hotel with a shower and cable is so over rated.
Heh heh, lets here you say that after 2 weeks of wet, cold gear ;)
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #198
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 3,428
The wet tent sucked. I was being cynical. Yea, lets see how I fare after many days of camping.

I must say that the beginning has been all I wanted. The delivery and take off from the owners was good and I made about 90 miles before dark and rain at the Virginia/West Virginia border at about 3,000 feet. I had a miserable night camping in the rain but I survived and the next day Friday was spectacular and epic. The ridge and valley riding with crazy switch backs and then small beautiful and quiet little valley towns was refreshing. The weather went to hell around Charleston and the next 3 hours riding into the tri state area of Ashland/Huntington area was Friday rush hour traffic, mega wind and rain. The KLR just tractors through. I am learning the bike and trusting it more and more. I keep forgetting that the bike may be a dirt bike but not with a ton of crap on it. I made a U turn and didn't have enough black top so I went into a small bar ditch and really got squirrely roosting out of the ditch and back on the road. I threw down some trials moves to clean it and ride out. So far the worse experience less the storm on Thursday night was the airport in Richmond, a coffee quest that ultimately I was the victor. I did have a woman in a group tell me that if I were going to ride a motorcycle across the USA I needed to practice first. I told her I had studied up on it.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #199
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Western Canada Dream
Oddometer: 280
I'm all into the look over the words Dave. You have this down pat with 100% of what a post is suppose to be. A picture tell a thousand words, and you have added at the BEGINING of your posts what the ride is ABOUT; along with some details to help a person gain some info of WHAT/ and WHERE the picture is from. You said one thing that caught my attention . Don't be to CRITICAL/ or to much DETAIL in WORDS !!!!!!!!!!!! "

Your passion is in the posts that you put up on the form, and WE need to look at your awsome work so we can use our own IMAGINATION. I'm just finishing 2 years of in depth reading, because I have been eliterat for 46 years.

I use this as an example into the un-know-en. You see a object in the middle of no were, and there is no sign/ tracks/ or clue of what it is. Your gears start to turn, and you ask all of what you don't know. This is what HEART SPARK is Dave. You share through your camera lens what most people miss. You keep it simple and to the point, and thats why I am proud to post this on this post

You are a SUPER HREO Dave.
From Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #200
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Western Canada Dream
Oddometer: 280
I forgot to mention the second part of my reply about your posts Dave. A good song writer, writes the song that comes from with in. The insterment in hand is the tool used to express this; eg...... his words/ voice/ guitar/ base/ drums/ horn...... ect....

Your tool is the camera Dave, and I know that you want more; this is ok to want this for your self, and with us that truely enjoy having experienced your hard work you have posted on this sight. I wanted more for my self and my friends, so I took up the Jeathrow Bowdean higher learning skill so I can see the world from a diffrent angle. It has been a long road of 46 years.

Vission/ sounds/ and words are what capture the human soul from with in Dave, and we humans only need one of the two. It would be nice to cover all the bases so nothing is left out, but some where or thing will never satisfy us totally with our own works. There is a saying that I heard a few years back, and it still rings true today.

Price/ Quality/ and Time; Pick any of the two, but you can not have all Three. From what I see of your posts Dave, I see you picked quality and time. You picked this because you wanted to steep up the game plan, and I must say that you have set the bar very high.

But then again, what do I know about this stuff. Ha. From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada.
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #201
dave6253 OP
Dauntless
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,966
Jeathrow Bowdean,

Thanks for your insight and nice compliments.

I'm just a normal guy and quite uninteresting in real life. I'm an introverted loner that is very lucky to have found a good woman to put up with me.
I'm passionate about motorcycle travel and have tried to improve my photography since I'm not talented at telling a story with appropriate words.
I'm happy Adventure Rider has survived to have a place to share, since my family and friends, for the most part, are tired of seeing my photos.
I've made a conscious decision to not conform to any standard of what most people consider normal in photography. I'm gonna keep doing what I like.
Some will enjoy it and some will hate it. I am happy to hear some of you guys enjoy it.

Since I like to share, this is a small sample from my 2 reports of 2012.
















































































__________________

dave6253 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 08:33 AM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #202
catweasel67
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,104
For me a good ride report is not a showcase for photographers. It's said that a picture speaks a thousand words but, honestly, I'd much rather read about the challenges, the joy, the experience of your ride. What worked, what didn't work, what you loved but also what you hated.

To that end I keep a diary, nothing complex, I keep it accessible and I (try to) use words to describe my journey and use pictures to support the words, not the other way around. Where I stopped for lunch, what I had, who I met, anything unusual I saw. I don't use it all, but I pick out highlights.

I also find it helps to write to someone, either to myself, an SO, family, someone - for me the audience influences the style.

Focus on maintaining honesty - it can be really easy to add some poetic license, to add frills, to "smooth" it out, to forget the crappy days when you wanted to quit, or when it rained all day so you stayed off the bike etc etc.

Don't waffle :p we don't want to hear about every tent peg, but we do want to know about whether you camped or stayed with friends. Try to avoid repeating yourself too much - you know what I mean, keep the writing succinct if it's not unique,

Use a spellchecker (I tend to use gmail's spellcheck) and try to avoid, or return to correct, the more obvious grammatical errors. These can really detract from a report.


Read other riders reports, pick out what you found enjoyable in them, what resonated with you. And what you didn't like. Use those dislikes and likes to help frame your own report.

Above all, remember that the only way you can go wrong is to not post at all.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #203
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 3,428
hey inmates.

I finished my rode report and it is a good effort as a newbie both in adventure riding as well as adventure writing. I followed this thread and have read many reports. My photography could never compete with Dave's but my $100 dollar camera did OK. I hope it turns out well, it does have a tragic sort of ending. I share myself, exposed and raw I reckon.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841561

Take a look and let me know what you all think. Comments on the rode report re very welcome. It was a lot of work to do it sort of proper.

Thanks - ATEAM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #204
catweasel67
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
hey inmates.

I finished my rode report and it is a good effort as a newbie both in adventure riding as well as adventure writing. I followed this thread and have read many reports. My photography could never compete with Dave's but my $100 dollar camera did OK. I hope it turns out well, it does have a tragic sort of ending. I share myself, exposed and raw I reckon.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841561

Take a look and let me know what you all think. Comments on the rode report re very welcome. It was a lot of work to do it sort of proper.

Thanks - ATEAM
I liked it, a reasonable balance of text vs pictures, told the story of the ride. A couple of comments - I'd stick to the default font offered by ADV, that larger, bolder, font you've chosen sticks out like a sore thumb IMO.

And "donned" not "dawned".
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #205
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 975
I do have to wonder what "limits" there are on being one's self in a ride report. I am someone who thinks a lot (doesnt mean im good at it), and I cant see doing a ride report without adding my thoughts.

The problem is, my thoughts are fairly technical and sometimes terse (or "academic")- its how I keep things straight in my own mind. I have been told in other threads that my style of writing is "pompous" and basically not welcome. I like to expand on ideas a lot (by using parenthesis). I seem to illicit anger from some people even though I dont attack them, and why should I even write a ride report in that case? I dont want to cause issues- I just want to be myself and people can take from that what they will.

My trip to Alaska this year is really a mixture of a passion for motorcycles, a passion for traveling, and a passion for trying to learn what makes the world tick. Human "society" beyond just the people themselves is nothing but a complicated beaver dam- we take existing materials from the earth and make them into motorcycles, gasoline, plastic, beds, houses, etc etc to suit us. We spend time submitting to labor to get money which gives us a means to have these things above, and so a cycle is formed. We judge each other based on what we get, on how much we get, etc. Not to ramble on, but thinking about things like the above is part of what a motorcycle trip is all about for me- am I really allowed to be that me here? Is a ride report supposed to be what the readers want author be damned, or is the report supposed to be first and foremost about the author audience be damned?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #206
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer
 
RockyDS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Canadian Rockies.
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Is a ride report supposed to be what the readers want author be damned, or is the report supposed to be first and foremost about the author audience be damned?
I think as the author you get to choose.

But don't be suprised at negative comments if you choose the audience be damned approach.

Also, whatever you do, you cannot please everyone and keep in mind that human nature being what it is, an unimpressed reader will be more motivated to complain about your efforts than an impressed reader will be to praise them.
__________________
Super Ténéré
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #207
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: LA face with the Oakland booty
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I do have to wonder what "limits" there are on being one's self in a ride report. I am someone who thinks a lot (doesnt mean im good at it), and I cant see doing a ride report without adding my thoughts.

The problem is, my thoughts are fairly technical and sometimes terse (or "academic")- its how I keep things straight in my own mind. I have been told in other threads that my style of writing is "pompous" and basically not welcome. I like to expand on ideas a lot (by using parenthesis). I seem to illicit anger from some people even though I dont attack them, and why should I even write a ride report in that case? I dont want to cause issues- I just want to be myself and people can take from that what they will.

My trip to Alaska this year is really a mixture of a passion for motorcycles, a passion for traveling, and a passion for trying to learn what makes the world tick. Human "society" beyond just the people themselves is nothing but a complicated beaver dam- we take existing materials from the earth and make them into motorcycles, gasoline, plastic, beds, houses, etc etc to suit us. We spend time submitting to labor to get money which gives us a means to have these things above, and so a cycle is formed. We judge each other based on what we get, on how much we get, etc. Not to ramble on, but thinking about things like the above is part of what a motorcycle trip is all about for me- am I really allowed to be that me here? Is a ride report supposed to be what the readers want author be damned, or is the report supposed to be first and foremost about the author audience be damned?
Terse
1 : smoothly elegant : polished
2 : using few words : devoid of superfluity (a terse summary);

You are not terse. Brevity is a virtue. Avoid bloviating, unnecessary parentheses, and words like "bloviating." Don't describe your writing as academic; it sounds pompous. Use fewer semi-colons.

Try to understand your writing voice. You probably do not come across the way that you think you do.

Finally, write to the intended audience. Yourself or other inmates. Your choice.

Ghostyman screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:10 PM Reason: formatting correction
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #208
dave6253 OP
Dauntless
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,966
GSF1200S,

You are always welcome to post any type of motorcycle ride report you want. Keep in mind this thread was started to explore and discuss what works to make reports better. It is my studied opinion that most of the time wordy, blog-like reports don't go over very well. Especially when the subject matter departs motorcycling and delves into politics, opinions, philisophy, ideology... However; there are some great writers here that can fill pages of captivating tales. I've been turned off by many reports with to much long-winded deep thoughts or opinions opposed to my own. While I would just tune out and ignore the report, many internet users aren't so kind. Be prepared for the flames.
__________________
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #209
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
Terse
1 : smoothly elegant : polished
2 : using few words : devoid of superfluity ;

You are not terse. Brevity is a virtue. Avoid bloviating, unnecessary parentheses, and words like "bloviating." Don't describe your writing as academic; it sounds pompous. Use fewer semi-colons.

Try to understand your writing voice. You probably do not come across the way that you think you do.

Finally, write to the intended audience. Yourself or other inmates. Your choice.
As I said, im not necessarily very good at it- good catch. Totally wrong use of the word. Semicolons are a great way to connect ideas- why remove them? I get what youre saying and im not really arguing.

I would never really describe my writing as academic- i would say technical. Does that make sense? I have been accused of being academic, and I suppose thats because my writing is more mechanical and not as emotional. Sure, I express emotion like the rest of us, but to me emotion and logic are two different things that need to have a balance.

Youre definitely right- I certainly never intend to sound superior or whatever because I know im not, but for some reason I have been accused of that here. I definitely need to think about this more. I have learned so much and enjoyed so much reading the RRs posted by others, and id like to contribute to this world in some way.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #210
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
GSF1200S,

You are always welcome to post any type of motorcycle ride report you want. Keep in mind this thread was started to explore and discuss what works to make reports better. It is my studied opinion that most of the time wordy, blog-like reports don't go over very well. Especially when the subject matter departs motorcycling and delves into politics, opinions, philisophy, ideology... However; there are some great writers here that can fill pages of captivating tales. I've been turned off by many reports with to much long-winded deep thoughts or opinions opposed to my own. While I would just tune out and ignore the report, many internet users aren't so kind. Be prepared for the flames.
I see. In that case, I guess ill keep my opinions and ideas to myself. Maybe ill maintain a blog separately and stick only to motorcycles, humor, pictures, and the like. I appreciate everyones advice
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014