Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #1051
Versys_User
HardCore n00b

Oddometer: 84
Quick question, Why did you not opt for a better traveling tire? even with all that rain those SC had to be scary.
Versys_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #1052
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Mr Head: Try Springhill Suites.

Versys: There's only one other tire that will 'work' with the 1199s Traction Control--and that's the Supercorsa (vs. the SP that I'm running). Very few 200 width tires out there....definitely none that are all season. But the real reason is that I have zero complaints with the Supercorsa SPs. Two sets of tires in 15,000 miles is phenomenal considering how sticky they are (which probably saved me from what would have been a Darwin award just a few days ago). Though I have never driven on a Pirelli car tire I liked, I have never ridden on a finer motorbike tire.

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:01 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #1053
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Back to Austin.

This was my second time I'd been to Austin, so I'd hit up a lot of the 'must go' spots, which I found relatively unmemorable. But as a whole, Austin is very cool. I rented an apartment right off of Congress, which is close to lots of restaurants and bars (as well as second hand stores where the drunk come to buy 'new' clothes at 11pm)....

Congress is also close to downtown--where it gets really lively. I met up with Calexio, who was in town visiting a TX girl he met in Redding. Things started off mature, but then turned into a blur. I'll let the visuals do the talking:

(Inside Joke)

Ended up meeting a bunch of people that night, but the very sweet girl above did stand out. The absence of pretension (and overall happiness) of everyone (not just women) provided a healthy dose of perspective.

Cheese board at Second Bar and Kitchen (I don't like eating cheese, but I'm fascinated by people who do):

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 08:17 AM
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #1054
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Mmmmm, Uchi:

Impaled Tako:

Hamachi:

Avocado Margarita:

Tacodeli!

Can anyone name this song? I've heard it before, but have no idea who the original artist was (or who did the remix).

Video

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:30 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #1055
flyinturbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Can anyone name this song? I've heard it before, but have no idea who the original artist was (or who did the remix).

Video
No song attached... (or I'm not patient enough or something???)
flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #1056
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Too short of a video....
Is that the young lady (in green) that stands out? Very pretty.
Just wondering what cell phone network you use? Since my latest, and hopefully last, venture has to do with cell phones.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #1057
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 87
Avocado Margarita

Quote:
Avocado Margarita:
So...yea...time for a trip to the grocery store and a few hours belly'd up to the home bar to perfect this sucker.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1058
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Coming back I came across a cyclist who'd just gone down:

Road bike dude (Caleb) lowsided (it happens on bicycles, too, only you're never wearing armor). The DOT worker who saw it estimated he'd been doing about 30mph downhill. Could have been a lot worse. Other than a really nice road rash on his left hip most of the damage was on the backside of his arms and legs. He was too bad off to be amused by a "can I take a picture of your bloody arms and legs" question, but I still snapped a couple shots.

He wasn't just in pain. He was definitely out of it, though. Didn't see any major damage on his helmet, but he was struggling to talk. Wasn't sure if he was choked up or had a head injury. There was no cell service, so I got his wife's number and drove 5 miles out to get a signal. I was thinking--damn--if this was a motorcycle accident the guy would bleed to death before a call could even be made. Gave her directions to the spot, then went back to confirm with them that I'd made contact and she was on her way.
That cyclist is this dude.

I just discovered this thread and am enjoying it. My GF participates in triathlons and I'm just a gravel/dirt enthusiast who follows a bit of racing. I'm reading on (~65 pages to go).
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #1059
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Death Valley Teaser (pic is uber condensed due to the terrible interweb connection I have):

Yep--that's the cyclist. Never did get a thank you or an update on how he was doing. Hope he's still training and riding.

benZvan, send me the recipe when you get it down.

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 09:58 PM
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #1060
musicman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
looks like you ran into my buddy Alex in Austin. he's on a bit of a road trip too.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #1061
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Death Valley!
Really want to see it.
I'm hopping to make it out there too.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #1062
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm a cyclist.

Will get to DV, but still have to post Scottsdale and Vegas!

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 07:43 PM
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #1063
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 87
dodgy people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
Yeah... I don't trust cyclists... any bloke who likes getting their spandex on is automatically dodgy in my books...
Weird people cyclists. Weird people.
Yeah... I don't trust motorcyclists... any bloke who likes getting their leather on is automatically dodgy in my books...
Weird people motorcyclists. Weird people.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #1064
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,724
I'm a cyclist, or was prior to my induction into the Fat-Bastard league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
Yeah... I don't trust cyclists... any bloke who likes getting their spandex on is automatically dodgy in my books...
Weird people cyclists. Weird people.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #1065
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 919
Thumb Bravo & Buggeration!

Greetings AntiHero,

I just wanted to congratulate you on a brilliant trip and a very fine RR, which I have really enjoyed reading, after one of my customers turned me on to it. I also wanted let you know how proud I am that you selected Kriega gear for the ride. Your 'pack light, point the bike down the road and just keep going' style of travel is precisely what we're all about.

Bravo!

The only unfortunate part is that I just discovered your story... a matter of days after your departure from Kriega USA's hometown of New Orleans.

Bugger!

That said, I am glad you met he lads at TTRNO, who are truly excellent at what they do, not to mention good mates of mine. Still, it would have been great to show you a few of the city's countless hidden gems, introduce you to JT Nesbitt [designer of the Conferdate Wraith, among many other amazing contraptions, whose workshop - which you could have easily walked right past without realizing - is just around the corner from my shack] and shot the shit over a Sazerac or seven. However - judging by those wonderful photographs - it appears that - naturally - you got along just fine on your own.

Nevertheless, if you are ever passing back through this way, feel free to hit me up. Mi casa es tu casa... Plus, we really do need to get you sorted out with a decent backpack.

Keep 'er lit, fella!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 03:04 PM Reason: OCD tendencies
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote