Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
What tune is the helmet whistling? This is important, as different tunes signify different things.

For instance, if it's whistling Dixie you need to join the Rebels and get the confederate rockers on your jacket. If it's whistling I Should Be So Lucky, then wear a little skirt and go acting. If it's whistling like a kettle, bring a tea bag......you get the idea.

Be really cool if it was the HarlemGlobetrotters theme!
Ducati 907ie.83 TT600 KTM 640 Adventure
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Uncle Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Haggs
Tigre Verde

Oddometer: 113
My helmet used to whistle the Colonel Bogey March and for hours after riding all I wanted to do was build bridges out of sticks
Haggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-DRZ View Post
Good to see your taking this whistling issue seriously
I've got an Arai XD myself, but it doesn't (or won't ) whistle.

I've had helmets that have made odd wind noises and such, but I just worked it out with a bit of trial and error. It's a fair question from the OP, to which I don't have a definitive answer, so I'll just ask silly questions instead. Am I normal?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #19
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
My XD4 whistles a bit too, but I haven't had a chance to work out why.

Should just be a process of elimination. You could try closing the two litle vents on the top, just back behind the peak. If that isn't the problem either remove the peak and see how it goes or temporarily stuff a bit of foam rubber between the peak and the helmet.

I suspect the last one is the problem with mine, if so I will just experiment with some adhesive foam strips placed to break up the airflow a bit.

Cheers,
JD
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,758
my 150 dollar fly trekker doesnt whistle
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,804
My XD3 whistles...

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #22
searchin oz
Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
my 150 dollar fly trekker doesnt whistle
Is it wrapped in parachute pants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 439
I have the XD4 and when I wear goggles, with the visor shut, there is the slightest whistle at over 80 kph. without the goggles no whistle at all regardless of what direction my head is pointed , standing or sitting.

It is considerably noisier sitting than standing due to the screen on the bike (F800GS) but at 6'4" it probably was not designed for my height.

My old RJ's Dakar used to whistle very bad if there was a wind from approximately 45 degrees and it used to twist my head as well. No such problems with the Arai, I consider it money well spent.

Take it back, if they will not do something about it, hit them with it. That always seems to get a response.
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #24
The Friar
Bugger, lost again

Oddometer: 26
Have the xd three. Bikes a KLR and the wind noise is rather bad as you said, anything over 40ish it starts. I've learnt something, might try the foam rubber thing. See what that does. The screen I've got is a MRA Vario touring screen and I think it just doesn't push the air up and over. So I have resigned myself to the noise,and just wear ear plugs all the time. But after reading this thread I might experiment and see what happens. Very happy with helmet generally speaking. Would definitely get another.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
Scotty4x4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
hey thanks for the replys everyone..

the whislte is loud.. not to a tune just loud.. lol

i found the noise to be the peak. tape some of the smaller holes on the peak and it made no difference. i took it back to the shop i brought it off last saturday and they rang the supplier got some info about it. she said all of them have wind noise and can whislte. but they cant take a helmet upon return or to be swapped.. so this has left me with a $800 helmet that i hate.. and wasted most of my tax on this year.

i love the comfort, all of the features and the helmet design itself, but i cant even ride to work with it, without the thing whistling in my ears.

i was told to run it without the peak. which is silly cause if i wanted to do that i would of brought a road helmet.

so next thing i am going to do is email arai, see if i can get help out of them.

im not trying to get my money back either, or try and get a brand new one out of them i just want the helmet to stop whislting without having to modify my $800 helmet..
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #26
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,899
Would you like to try an earlier peak on it to see if there is a difference? The original torance ( xd 1 ) had the peak vents more to the side, the peaks are interchangeable. If you cover return postage you're welcome to try my old one. ( grey)

I'm a bit confused though, my xd4 peak only has the one set of holes, so I'm not sure what you mean by some of he smaller holes??? Picture?

Have you tried it ithout peak o make bsolutely sure it's the peak??
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #27
Scotty4x4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Would you like to try an earlier peak on it to see if there is a difference? The original torance ( xd 1 ) had the peak vents more to the side, the peaks are interchangeable. If you cover return postage you're welcome to try my old one. ( grey)

I'm a bit confused though, my xd4 peak only has the one set of holes, so I'm not sure what you mean by some of he smaller holes??? Picture?

Have you tried it ithout peak o make bsolutely sure it's the peak??
i just sent arai a email. so i will see what happens.

yer what i ment by the smaller hole was the 2. there is only 2 holes in the peak on the xd4. sorry should of been explained more.

that was the 3rd thing that i did was running it without the peak. and the noise was gone once i removed it, i spent about a hour just fiddling with different venting options, adjusting the peak slighty, peak removed, and after locating the postion of the noise i taped up the 2 holes on top of the peak, but the tape was on the underside of the peak not the top where the graphics are.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,314
Haven't heard whether you're using earplugs... Maybe that's the answer, or maybe you simply have a bad case of tinnitus from not using earplugs?

My XD4 whistles only if I crank my head back and look at the sky... Aerodynamics at play, the helmet is not at fault... Seek a solution grasshopper, your head is worth much more than 800 bucks.
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #29
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,805
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty4x4 View Post
... i taped up the 2 holes on top of the peak, but the tape was on the underside of the peak not the top where the graphics are.
Did the tape stop or reduce the noise?

itsgunnahurt screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 03:32 PM
itsgunnahurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
Scotty4x4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Did the tape stop or reduce the noise?
No It didn't do a thing. So it must pick up in between the peak and helmet gap.

I was riding home the other day tho and it started raining lightly/but enough to be wet, and at the same speeds same road it doesn't whistle at all! The helmet was the best thing I have every rode with. Lol.

Arai never emailed me back either. Might email again tonight