ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #16
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Thanks again folks for some interesting feedback,

Pantah, yes, upstate New York. Way upstate. Zip 12920

Tripod, I might be in touch, not wanting to waste anyone's time at this point. But soon perhaps. I built my first house myself, not sure I want to go down that road again. Started in March, finished in October. By then I wasn't sure if I wanted to move in or burn it down! Long summer!

I will give the Bethel area some thought. It looks nice. I like places where you walk in for coffee in the morning and most of the people know who you are.

Space is very important to me. I don't need a ton, but I don't want to live on top of anyone else either. I only have 7.5 acreas now. But I can only see one house and that's only in the winter. I'll not be living in town, no matter which town I settle near. Close to town ok, in town not ok.

One thing I noticed in Colorado was , that the mountians are steep and the valleys are narrow. So the towns that started out long ago are now building houses on top of each other to accomodate the increasing population. Not my cup of tea. Having not been to Aspen or Vail since the early eighties. I was surprised by the feel now. Glenwood Springs where I worked out of, was way too crowded for me. The west seems different. There is a lot of nothing then you run into a bustling town. I prefer the more spread out feel of New York and New England.

I don't need much in the way of culture. Most of mine is found in a campfire and a few cold beers with friends. Sometimes only me and the dog. He dosen't talk much, but he listens well. I prefer to spend my time in the outdoors. Heck I haven't watched television in years.

A good breakfast place is cool. Being close to Sunday River skiing could go either way for me.

Trails for hiking and riding are a plus. I grew up in the northern catskills and had much state land at my disposal. I snowshoed almost all the peaks in the Catskills, and some in the Adirondacks.

I'm not looking for much, but I realize what I am looking for is hard to find. The thing I have going for me is time. I won't have to have a rental in place until probably late Feburary. And I can take my time looking for a house to purchase from there. I will probably begin taking some short trips to look around soon. A rent-to-own might be the cat's nuts.

Thanks again everyone for the comments, keep'em coming. The Bethel type town sounds very much like what I will be looking for.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I'm glad you'll give Bethel a look, it's a very nice, clean, sleepy town. Just enough size and culture to be vibrant and have three gas stations(the Shell/Dunkin' Donuts is preferred), yet not big enough to put up any building over two stories. If I had married someone who wasn't so close to her family, I'd already have moved there.

Also, do yourself a favor, and take the 20 minute jaunt to neighboring Rumford. Downtown is not quite as beautiful, but it's even smaller than Bethel and land may be cheaper. I've yet to meet anyone there I didn't like.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValuePack View Post
I'm glad you'll give Bethel a look, it's a very nice, clean, sleepy town. Just enough size and culture to be vibrant and have three gas stations(the Shell/Dunkin' Donuts is preferred), yet not big enough to put up any building over two stories. If I had married someone who wasn't so close to her family, I'd already have moved there.

Also, do yourself a favor, and take the 20 minute jaunt to neighboring Rumford. Downtown is not quite as beautiful, but it's even smaller than Bethel and land may be cheaper. I've yet to meet anyone there I didn't like.
I'd be surprised if Bethel weren't substantially more expensive for real estate prices than Rumford...but I'd still much rather live in Bethel. I think the property tax in Bethel is probably higher, too, but that's more of a buy-a-place concern than a rental concern. Newry (particularly up the Bear River Valley) has a lot more open space, but you're probably also going to drive further if you want groceries (for which Rumford and Norway are really the nearest options—the in-town places in Bethel are more expensive and limited in selection). If you're looking to be in the middle of nowhere, Andover would be worth checking out, too—lots of snow machine and ATV trails, not a lot of people.

South of Rumford, there's the Concord Pond area, which is really nice if you don't mind wind turbines (and can feel quite "out there" while still being reasonably close to Rumford and Mexico for supplies).

And I know there must be at least a few buildings over two stories in Bethel (the classroom building at Gould has three stories plus the ground floor, for example), but I did have to think about it. So it is a nice, small town in a lot of ways. Check out http://www.bethelcitizen.com/ for the local paper, which I think has a reasonable feel for the place.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Got to spend some time in the Bethel/Paris/Rumford area this week. Nice place, nice folks,