ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #46
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer
 
rufusswan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Branson MO
Oddometer: 962
Personally, I think you are 'over thinking' the issue.

On the throttle cables and the choke, the issue is are they really at closed. You don't need to worry about the fully open issue. If you can't get them fully closed, you're hosed in terms of setting idle speed. If the choke is not fully closed you will never get the idle mix correct.
__________________
1971 BMW R75/5 Toaster LWB
1974 Honda CL200
http://zenhuckfinn.wordpress.com/
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #47
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer
 
DoktorT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chewelah, WA
Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
good grief .... talk about beating a dead horse... how many times do you want to discuss the same thing?
Just the standard tool of chalatans. Repeat the same thing 10 times to try overcome any other valid opinion. He is right because he says he is, and any other options therefore must be wrong. Even when he is just dead stupid wrong he's right. Just ask him. Nope, don't need to ask, just suggest any alternative, he will be happy to repeat all day long.

His butt dyno is so finely tuned, it trumps all science. His eyes are more seeing than an electron microscope.

Some of these airheads threads are 5 pages long, and 3 pages worth is just him repeating his demand for all and sundry to bow to his "wizdom".

This is the ego of the Shaft, so just keep the salt handy as it takes lots of pinches to get past him and all other charlatans like him.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #48
jackd
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Cowichan
Oddometer: 3,015
May I be so bold as to suggest that you try a 'Hamonizer' for what you're doing? (Digital balancing tool which was sold in the 'Vendors' section) Or would that be throwing more fuel on the fire? Just trying to be helpful here..... I'll go away now and watch the replies.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #49
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Just the standard tool of chalatans. Repeat the same thing 10 times to try overcome any other valid opinion. He is right because he says he is, and any other options therefore must be wrong. Even when he is just dead stupid wrong he's right. Just ask him. Nope, don't need to ask, just suggest any alternative, he will be happy to repeat all day long.

His butt dyno is so finely tuned, it trumps all science. His eyes are more seeing than an electron microscope.

Some of these airheads threads are 5 pages long, and 3 pages worth is just him repeating his demand for all and sundry to bow to his "wizdom".

This is the ego of the Shaft, so just keep the salt handy as it takes lots of pinches to get past him and all other charlatans like him.
You really should leave all the personal stuff for a when we see each other in person Dr.T. Otherwise it's just what you do.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #50
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyb View Post
Thanks guys. Holy smoke, that went well and well.... What about the second part of the question?
I don' t think you are over thinking the situation. You check to see if your throttle is opening up all the way by looking at it. On my own bikes I always make that adjustment. They often need it. Open the throttle lever to its stop and look at the butterfly and make sure it is open all the way and at the same time not too far open. If it isn't, adjust the stop tab for the lever.

Make sure the choke lever goes to full on against the stop and full off against the stop. That's when they are adjusted right. IMO you really need to adjust them to the full on stop or they can be about impossible to start in cold weather.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #51
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyb View Post
Thanks guys. Holy smoke, that went well and well.... What about the second part of the question?
Glad I could help you with that.....somewhere else. Need more pics?....I'll be over there!
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #52
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Need more pics?....I'll be over there!
good point ... pic's or it didn't happen

SS all BS aside, I don't mind anyone drilling into what ever I post. this is why IMHO, detailed technical data on forums are among the most accurate available anywhere because it's Vetted!. anything that survives yours and others ruthless nit-picking ... odds are will be correct.

there's detailed technical postings all over the WWW. But trouble is it's very hard to tell crap from truth. which gets back to why I've got such a high opinion on technical information posted on forums. it's vetted!!!! especially on high traffic forums like ADV with 287k members. anytime someone posts technical data. if there's any hint of a mistake. Someone will ruthlessly point it out!!! odds are usually there's several folks waiting to pounced on ANY mistakes no matter how small.

this is why I'll go out of my way to post LOTS of clear pictures. to where there is NO doubt validity of what I've posted. not saying I've never made mistakes ... but very seldom will anything I post be fundamentally wrong.

why do you think folks are constantly posting... Pic's or it didn't happen!!!

(SS if need be I'll chase down as easy to use, digital camera to send you for free and/or help you get up to speed on posting pic's.)

_cy_ screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 01:17 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #53
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
good point ... pic's or it didn't happen

SS all BS aside, I don't mind anyone drilling into what ever I post. this is why IMHO, detailed technical data on forums are among the most accurate available anywhere because it's Vetted!. anything that survives yours and others ruthless nit-picking ... odds are will be correct.

there's detailed technical postings all over the WWW. But trouble is it's very hard to tell crap from truth. which gets back to why I've got such a high opinion on technical information posted on forums. it's vetted!!!! especially on high traffic forums like ADV with 287k members. anytime someone posts technical data. if there's any hint of a mistake. Someone will ruthlessly point it out!!! odds are usually there's several folks waiting to pounced on ANY mistakes no matter how small.

this is why I'll go out of my way to post LOTS of clear pictures. to where there is NO doubt validity of what I've posted. not saying I've never made mistakes ... but very seldom will anything I post be fundamentally wrong.

why do you think folks are constantly posting... Pic's or it didn't happen!!!

(SS if need be I'll chase down as easy to use, digital camera to send you for free and/or help you get up to speed on posting pic's.)
I couldn't disagree more. On so many levels. Googled BS gets a life of its own. A lot of it becomes google gospel and the BS'ers' congregate. It just keeps going and going. There's no stopping the group mentality. They need each other to both give it and take it so the loop is complete. My advise is to keep your waders pulled up high. There is some good stuff among all the crap.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #54
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I couldn't disagree more. On so many levels. Googled BS gets a life of its own. A lot of it becomes google gospel and the BS'ers' congregate. It just keeps going and going. There's no stopping the group mentality. They need each other to both give it and take it so the loop is complete. My advise is to keep your waders pulled up high. There is some good stuff among all the crap.
fine back it up... back up what you claim
when I stated my believe above, reasons was stated why.
I've personally done 500+ carbs ... don't need google to tell me what works...

in this thread .. manometers was in question so I posted up all types of manometer from my HVAC tools to leave zero doubt that I understand how manometers work. but evidently claims backed up with evidence means little to nothing to you. you keep right on ignoring documented statements while providing none of your own.

why don't you back it up... you post all sorts of statements with no pic's, links, etc to back it up.
I've even offered to send a camera for free and help with learning process.

pic's or it didn't happen...

_cy_ screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 09:02 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #55
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 2,293
Checked the throttle cables? you might have frayed cable which is causing one side to hang up occasionally.

I go with the previous advice on setting- with the carbs off I set the butterflies one turn open, the mixture screws about 1/8 th turn less out than the book, and 1/16 ": free play in the throttle cables - if you can get someone else to turn the throttle you can synchronize them near enough by feel.

If everything is in good order this will be as good as you need, and if it doesnt work you have something wrong that should be found and fixed - no point in trying to adjust it out.

For fine tuning I use a colourtune plug , and I balance with a Synchrometer flow gauge, but that is just personal preference.

And I check the valves by feel on a hot running engine -----.
__________________
Adelaide Hills, Australia. 93 R100 GS, 77 R75/7 ,70 BSA B44VS, , 86 R80 G/S PD, 95 BMW Funduro F650 ST
Beemerboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #56
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
For fine tuning I use a colourtune plug , and I balance with a Synchrometer flow gauge, but that is just personal preference.
wow .. it's been a long time since I used a syncrometer. still got a colortune in my toolbox. a nifty tool to have around if one doesn't have a gas analyzer. when the flame goes blue, shows optimal mixture, yellow is still bit rich. a bit like tuning a natural gas stove burner by color. unless one has a bacharach fyrite gas analyzer.

if one has not seen a colortune, there's a clear quartz window that allows viewing during combustion.

_cy_ screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 12:57 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #57
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bath Uk
Oddometer: 1,956
Three is a school that believes that colourtunes give inconsistent results on 1000cc airheads, because the mixture in the big cylinders just does not burn cleanly.

Better to aim for adjusting the mixture screws for the most power/revs
__________________
Charles
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps6e61ae2e.jpg
R90s 1070 replica, R90/6
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #58
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 2,293
Colourtunes work just fine on all my airheads, and the twin plug motor looks no different to the others.

FWIW the best colour is usually just out from stumble on the way in - I can tell the difference in running between about 9 and 1200 revs, but after that any difference is too small to detect, particularly if you have worked out how the gearbox works and like to keep the motor spinning 500 revs either side of peak torque.
__________________
Adelaide Hills, Australia. 93 R100 GS, 77 R75/7 ,70 BSA B44VS, , 86 R80 G/S PD, 95 BMW Funduro F650 ST
Beemerboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #59
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Colourtunes work just fine on all my airheads, and the twin plug motor looks no different to the others.

FWIW the best colour is usually just out from stumble on the way in - I can tell the difference in running between about 9 and 1200 revs, but after that any difference is too small to detect, particularly if you have worked out how the gearbox works and like to keep the motor spinning 500 revs either side of peak torque.
That's great if you set your idle mixture JUST for idling but I don't. Idle mixtures are best set at a compromise leaning towards what gets the engine up off idle the best which is usually a bit rich just for idling. After all, our engines should not idle that much. It's bad for them on a number of different levels.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #60
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
fine back it up... back up what you claim
when I stated my believe above, reasons was stated why.
I've personally done 500+ carbs ... don't need google to tell me what works...

in this thread .. manometers was in question so I posted up all types of manometer from my HVAC tools to leave zero doubt that I understand how manometers work. but evidently claims backed up with evidence means little to nothing to you. you keep right on ignoring documented statements while providing none of your own.

why don't you back it up... you post all sorts of statements with no pic's, links, etc to back it up.
I've even offered to send a camera for free and help with learning process.

pic's or it didn't happen...
To leave zero doubt that you understand manometers? None of the tools you showed are manometers. A manometer has at least two tubes. Even the Uni-syn doesn't compare pressures in real time like most would define a manometer. I try to back up my claims by making sense. Something a LOT of documentors and linkers need to focus on a lot more IMO. Maybe an explanation of how measuring one pressure at a time is still considered a manometer versus comparing pressures in real time like every manometer I have ever seen referred to as a manometer? Is that the difference between a barometer and a manometer? Links? Documentation? That's google talk. There's no need for it when you make sense. Tons of googlers use photos, links and documents to NOT make sense so I would think that would reduce your need for them? It sure does reduce my need to see any. I could care less.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014