Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #31
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
The Indians I've seen ridden around here have been owned by deep pocket folks that appear to like the uniqueness and overall fit/finish rather than the how good a motorcycle it is compared to others based on performance specs or clone parts, etc. They are dressed in beautiful paint and very nice leather to make for a very visually appealing albeit expensive piece of arm candy (if you are into this particular look). Biggest issue will still be the cost of certifying two engines with the same basic application within the same Brands family with relatively low volumes in both Brands. You likely have to have some thoughts that as the "old" Vic mill reaches the end of it's current life span for US and Euro noise and emissions that the new platform would provide at least a share able base to carry them forward that the current designs won't allow. Be real nice if they sort/upgrade to tubeless rims, better handling and maybe add some options of cruise and/or abs like Victory and other OEM offerings have. Super high price with little or none of the Industry standards will not help sales either.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
The Indians I've seen... make for a very visually appealing albeit expensive piece of arm candy (if you are into this particular look).
Blingy cruiser = "butt jewelry"

"arm candy" = trophy wife / hot girlfriend

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #33
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
Triumph didn't get to where they are today by only building bikes on the Bonneville platform. Indian can keep their heritage shtick while still bringing something other than just a another V-Twin cruiser to the market. I'd like to see them try something like the Griso.

I mean, it's not like they have to be worried about alienating a legion of owners.
I agree. What type of vintage Indian fetches the highest prices? The inline four. Make a shaft drive, water cooled, inline four like the guy in England was doing. You could still splatter it with all of the tassles and stuff, but at its core, it would still be intersting and stand out from the crowd.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #34
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I've always thought it would be awesome if, as a revival thing, they went in more of a Buell-esque direction. I mean cruisers were a thing that Indian did, but it seems like the bikes that these companies are always emulating are the bikes that Indian made just before they died. It seems like a much better idea to take a few steps back, and say hey, Indian was a company on the forefront of motorcycle innovation in the states; why not make it so again?

Sure, innovation is a risk, but people have attempted several times already to revive Indian in the generic American cruiser format; it has never worked! Making something distinctive and or innovative might actually get something going. Doing nearly exactly the same thing as the last three companies is going to end them in exactly the same place as the last three companies.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,507
Be interesting if they did go the Triumph route. Make your clones for that end of the nostalgia market, but go ahead and make some modern sports bikes and tourers.

How about an Indian version of something like a Speed Triple, or some other hooligan street bike?

They've got money. Hire some designers, don't get stuck in a V-twin mode, and make a real varied American motorcycle brand. BMW certainly changed their brand image with the introduction of the S1000RR, and it obviously worked well.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #36
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,182
A modern Enfield/Indian would be an interesting piece.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #37
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
My take on it...
Long time ago in far far away galaxy Indian was one and only true american sportbike. They were not all show, they actually were fast bikes aiming at being sporty to some extend. E.g. they were basis of US racing motorcycles. They were winning Isle of Man TT. They made Scout, they made Prince, they made Four. They were favored by "wall of death" riders. They were winning Daytona. Etc. etc. They were cutting edge. Engineered. Fast.
I do have big fat book on Indian history that was given as present to me by my friends, I always wanted Scout for myself.

Naturally I always thought that if Indian would be brought back it will be first proper fast US made V-twin "classic" design bike, not another overweight unsuspended damned cruiser. Something a-la Mr. Buell meets modern fast Indian twin engine.
It is highly disappointing that with all industrial, historical and knowledge potential of US motorcycling life it keeps producing same boring and unsuitable cruiser bikes.
I know US industry can do better.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #38
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
That sound track was gay. It sounds ridiculous.

And who cares if "Indian" makes a "comeback"??? A Polaris Indian is as much an Indian as a Kawasaki Harley.

They either need to build a motorcycle that is worth owning on its merits, or go the way of the dodo. Again.

There's absolutely zero connection between an Indian motorcycle from 1940 and a Polaris motorcycle in 2015, and being proud of the name badge on the tank is fucking childish.
If I was a decision maker at Polaris I would ditch the Indian name completely, and create a new line of bikes that people actually want.
Wow. Guess you're not a Victory fan...
Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #39
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,182
If it was a modern materials and construction flathead Chief there's be a line to buy it at $30K each. And I'd be in that line. The obvious is often so easy as to be almost invisible.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #40
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
Wow. Guess you're not a Victory fan...

Not really, but at least they created Victory from the ground up. I can't stand to see what has been / is being done to the Indian name. The post by bluesman nails it to a T - Indian was proud company, with good reason to be proud because they were the top of the line in their day.

The closest thing to an Indian today, would be Motus - American made, innovative, performance oriented transportation - not a rolling pirate parade for posers.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #41
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
It's not an Indian until it says MotoCycle on the tank.
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #42
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
They should have built the Indian Four to set them apart from everyone else. While the Triumph is a pretty good bike, a longitudinal triple isn't part of their heritage. With Indian, a longitudinal 4 is, even though it only lasted a few years.

The Indian name should be laid to rest. How many people are still alive today that actually bought a real Indian? It's not like the rest of us will actually buy one because we're feeling nostalgic about our misspent youth on one.

I wonder if Matchless will be having it's name dragged through the graveyard mud as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #43
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
That sound track was gay. It sounds ridiculous.

And who cares if "Indian" makes a "comeback"??? A Polaris Indian is as much an Indian as a Kawasaki Harley.
I don't get this...Polaris is an American company (Minnesota) right? So how is this the same as a Japanese company building a Harley (another traditional American brand)

Am I missing something?
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #44
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredulous View Post
I don't get this...Polaris is an American company (Minnesota) right? So how is this the same as a Japanese company building a Harley (another traditional American brand)

Am I missing something?
What's that got to do with anything?

The point being there's absolutely zero Indian DNA left in the name Indian, and making slow, underpowered, pirate costume accessories is a huge disservice.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #45
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredulous View Post

Am I missing something?
Yes, you're focusing on the wrong thing. He isn't complaining about one country building a bike originally made in another country. He's complaining about dead and buried marquees being resurrected and then bandied about with talks of "heritage" and "tradition."

Kind of like how the Springfield Armory of today is not the company that was outfitting our fathers, grandfathers, etc. during WWII. The company went under, and then someone came along, bought up the name, and slapped it on their stuff.

And to me, that's all the more reason to cut the bullshit. Indian will never be Harley-Davidson, so I think Polaris should take the brand in a different direction considering they already have Victory. Do a mix of classic styling, but implement some modern updates and appeal to a broader market.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote