ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #46
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Breaking rumor: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-analyst-says/

Maybe we should be talking to Apple.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #47
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Maybe that was your problem; I just use a Ram mount. With a big hit the unit will move. I think rubber mounting is better for damping vibration.

Lost two Zumo' really close together when I had it RAM mounted, it's nice since they were under warranty. The Touratech mount is rubber damped and they'd last much longer once I switched to that mount.

My last Zumo survived a lightning strike, made it another 3-4 months, then croaked, refurbed it and sold it.

The 376C survived the lightning too, made it a little over a year after that and croaked, refurbed and sold.

Let dead GPS' die.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post

Ever notice that when there is a 30% chance of rain, it doesn't rain?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #49
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post

Their need to avoid lawsuits, their mapping is stranding people in the Australian desert!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...=feeds-newsxml
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #50
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
No, it's not auto loading. You have to download the images from your computer and it doesn't allow you to track in Sat view from what I've heard.

It's needs to be true auto-loading, and constsantly updated imagery, like a link straight to Google Earth.

No shit. Is that true?

If that is true, anywhere I go I would have to download the sat images ahead of time? That can't be right.

For argument's sake, let's say nmbmn is correct. Then which one should I buy?
S H I F T Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #51
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch DeBeer View Post
No shit. Is that true?

If that is true, anywhere I go I would have to download the sat images ahead of time? That can't be right.

For argument's sake, let's say nmbmn is correct. Then which one should I buy?
It's true.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=70144
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #52
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Well that is better than it sounded I guess, since they are unlimited. Suppose I want to load in all of Gorman and the LPNF, I can... and I imagine I will only have to do it once and they will always be there... uh, right?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #53
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Well that is better than it sounded I guess, since they are unlimited. Suppose I want to load in all of Gorman and the LPNF, I can... and I imagine I will only have to do it once and they will always be there... uh, right?
Lots of memory.

It should be streaming.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #54
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

I agree, it SHOULD be streaming, especially because google earth images for remote areas are often way out of date. But, if that is the only option for satellite imagery as of this point I will more than likely get one. Now do I need the $750 one or the $550? I don't need a camera, so I don't know what the other features of the more expensive one buy you.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #55
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
good deal on a 276c

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847723
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #56
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
I must have shagged Garmins daughter or something. The 60CSX is supposed to have some of the most reliable circuitry in the GPS range for durability. So far, my count of 60 CSX's that have shit the bed and have to be sent back to Garmin for warranty repair is 4. 3 internal circuit board seperations and solder cracks. One of them died of water intrusion when I crashed in a river crossing. It sucks when you're in the middle of nowwhere and the supposed most reliable GPS throws in the towel.

Here in the Cardomom mountains of Cambodia after completely disassembling the 60 to dry out we begin the assembly process.

So whilst the 276 has a much better screen than the 60 ( I was told they share similiar internal circuitry)in terms of visibility not sure NMBMN I would get all that gushy over the reliability at least from my experience. Then again there's not that many choices for us offroaders.

I have also sheared off six Ram mounts so maybe I should just learn to ride better? A benefit of the Ram overTouratech mounts is they can easily be moved out of the way to get through tight branches and vines, where the Touratech just sits like a huge roadblock on your bars.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #57
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
I agree, it SHOULD be streaming, especially because google earth images for remote areas are often way out of date. But, if that is the only option for satellite imagery as of this point I will more than likely get one. Now do I need the $750 one or the $550? I don't need a camera, so I don't know what the other features of the more expensive one buy you.
I hate being practical. How the heck are you going to stream? From a military satellite? Definitely not via a mobile phone type provider. In case you haven't noticed mobile phones don't work where we ride. GPS satellites don't provide this type of functionality. That would leave satellite phones. What's that cost? $8/minute? No thanks.

Preloading seems like the only alternative. And if Google satellite images of terrain are out of date then what planet am I on? Mountains don't move. At least not very often and usually not very fast.

Regarding the camera feature on the GPS, it may come in handy, especially if you have a bad sense of direction or want to return to a place you visited in the distant past. The photos are geotagged with the location. You can select the photo and the GPS will navigate back to that location.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #58
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post
I hate being practical. How the heck are you going to stream? From a military satellite? Definitely not via a mobile phone type provider. In case you haven't noticed mobile phones don't work where we ride. GPS satellites don't provide this type of functionality. That would leave satellite phones. What's that cost? $8/minute? No thanks.

Preloading seems like the only alternative. And if Google satellite images of terrain are out of date then what planet am I on? Mountains don't move. At least not very often and usually not very fast.

Regarding the camera feature on the GPS, it may come in handy, especially if you have a bad sense of direction or want to return to a place you visited in the distant past. The photos are geotagged with the location. You can select the photo and the GPS will navigate back to that location.

Streaming? Shit, I don't know; I just know what I want.

Mountains do not move, but trails and trailheads do all the time.

All I know is my 60 is dead and want to get me a new toy, looks like it will be the Montana.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #59
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
looks like it will be the Montana.

Have you read the Montana thread? Doesn't sound like it's ready for prime time yet.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #60
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
hit up Lost Rider. he has a Montana and loves it. i'm not hating on the Montana. i just know there is problems with the power connection.

as far as the satellite imagery, it's pretty sweet. and i don't think you need to upload any files. but what do i know.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote