ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #6931
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
lukeinlondon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
We did an internet payment last week which Well fugwits turned into a paper cheque ... too much fraud in the US the excuse ... now we are a another week behind

But at least we have secured the bike and shipping ... now new rubbers .... luggage etc

WAIT A SECONNNNDDDDDDD

can you please tell me about the aux lights you have setup? I thought those brackets only worked on the 990's?
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #6932
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
WAIT A SECONNNNDDDDDDD

can you please tell me about the aux lights you have setup? I thought those brackets only worked on the 990's?
More than I can answer at this stage cos I haven't got it yet

This is the add, maybe talk to Al the previous owner, hopefully he can help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830493
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #6933
joneswgareth
Welsh Rarebit
 
joneswgareth's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Savary Island
Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post



...and since I've modified everything I can think to modify on my 950...
And is the the note about the Petcock an OEM note or custom part? I like it whatever it is
__________________
950 SE
joneswgareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #6934
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswgareth View Post
And is the the note about the Petcock an OEM note or custom part? I like it whatever it is
With so many bikes in the stable, he'd probably forget it was off, just ride off and then think he ran out of gas.
__________________
FYYFF!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtpUv4VBDhA
Bikes: 2013 BMW K1600GT
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #6935
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 31,847
It wouldn't be the first time I would curse the thing for not starting.. completely drain the battery... work on it for 30 minutes.. and then realize I'd turned off the petcock

That note is worth its weight in gold
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #6936
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It wouldn't be the first time I would curse the thing for not starting.. completely drain the battery... work on it for 30 minutes.. and then realize I'd turned off the petcock

That note is worth its weight in gold
Sometimes low-tech is the best tech.

Reminds me of the famous (in Russia) joke they tell about how NASA spent millions of dollars to develop a pen that would write in space. The Russians reply that they have a much cheaper solution: a pencil.
__________________
FYYFF!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtpUv4VBDhA
Bikes: 2013 BMW K1600GT
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #6937
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
WAIT A SECONNNNDDDDDDD

can you please tell me about the aux lights you have setup? I thought those brackets only worked on the 990's?

Black Dog cycle works makes them for the Super Enduro.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...ro-detail.html
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #6938
R&R4adv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
R&R4adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 342
Dr Bean mod

Fitted the Dr Bean fuel pump mod today
__________________
R&R4adv aka Reon
04 950 Adventure
past bikes
04 950 Adventure 03 640 Adventure 99 XR400
R&R4adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #6939
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,239
Dear Santa,

Please put my 990 back together...

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #6940
cotrailrdr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Southwest Colorado
Oddometer: 84
Well, as Geek stated earlier, looks like winter is rolling in here at last. Started my winter teardown and greaseing ritual on the 950. Then spoon on a new set of tires and wait for spring.
__________________
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2007 Yamaha WR450F, plated
2005 KTM 950 Adv
2004 Beta 270 Rev3
2013 Polaris RZR 800
cotrailrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #6941
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium
 
ShoelessJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareblak View Post
Sweet bike! Where did you get those stickers?
Crispy Designs in the UK. He has the templates and will put whatever you want on the bike. PM if you have any other questions about it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687178.
ShoelessJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #6942
KTM 950S
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KTM 950S's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Greece....
Oddometer: 112
Changed my tyres today and try for the 1st time K60...did it alone but i have a machine for this]...i cant think of doing this alone on the mountain with spoon if something go wrong...too hard sidewall,also install new tubes just to be sure and give it a wash...[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG
KTM 950S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #6943
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,778
I had to park it in the shop after finding it changing it's own oil, again. I know I bought a V-twin, but I didn't expect it to chronically be leaking oil so often. Seems like I'm having to replace every seal in the engine, one at a time. Getting tired of the "Harley" comments from the missus.

There were several drops and small puddles found under it in a parking lot Saturday. Closer inspection revealed the skid plate and center stand were covered with a thin film. Spots all over the back wheel too. Oil seen on both left and right side cases coming from above. No low pressure light, so I rode it home with the forty pound bag of dog food tied on tight. Only busted 100 mph once, cuz I thought it best to take it easy on the bleeding beast.

I'm betting on that pesky (oil pressure?) sending unit on rear of the front cylinder as the most likely source that would put oil down both sides.

After tweaking my leg riding dirt on the DRZ the next day I'll probably not get to take all the bodywork off until next weekend. Not to mention the unreasonably cold weather we are expecting over the next few days.

Heck, it might freeze tonight! Doesn't the weather know this is Texas! We usually don't do the "other" season until January or February!
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #6944
guns&coffee
Gnarly!
 
guns&coffee's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Locust Dale, VA
Oddometer: 1,249
Laugh 50 Tooth Rear Sprocket Install

I installed a 50 tooth rear sprocket from Sprocket Specialists. It's all-aluminum and cost $100 including the coating. Really light. The mounting bolts probably weigh more than the sprocket. Overall fit and finish was good. I had to file the inside edge and put a slight bevel on it to make it slide over my hub. Then it tapped right into place with a rubber mallet. The bolt heads fit snugly against the inner race. I found that my current set-up of 16/45 wasn't low enough for some of the gnarly Jeep trails that I ride. Unfortunately my currnent chain isn't long enough. I'm ordering a 120 from CJ Designs. It might be hard keeping the front wheel on the ground now!

__________________
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied- "If you seek for Eldorado!" E.A.P. 1849
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '75 Husky 360WR/CR,
guns&coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #6945
guns&coffee
Gnarly!
 
guns&coffee's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Locust Dale, VA
Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I had to park it in the shop after finding it changing it's own oil, again. I know I bought a V-twin, but I didn't expect it to chronically be leaking oil so often. Seems like I'm having to replace every seal in the engine, one at a time. Getting tired of the "Harley" comments from the missus.

There were several drops and small puddles found under it in a parking lot Saturday. Closer inspection revealed the skid plate and center stand were covered with a thin film. Spots all over the back wheel too. Oil seen on both left and right side cases coming from above. No low pressure light, so I rode it home with the forty pound bag of dog food tied on tight. Only busted 100 mph once, cuz I thought it best to take it easy on the bleeding beast.

I'm betting on that pesky (oil pressure?) sending unit on rear of the front cylinder as the most likely source that would put oil down both sides.

After tweaking my leg riding dirt on the DRZ the next day I'll probably not get to take all the bodywork off until next weekend. Not to mention the unreasonably cold weather we are expecting over the next few days.

Heck, it might freeze tonight! Doesn't the weather know this is Texas! We usually don't do the "other" season until January or February!
It sounds like it hasn't had a good coating of dirt and dust to seal up the motor.
__________________
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied- "If you seek for Eldorado!" E.A.P. 1849
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '75 Husky 360WR/CR,
guns&coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015