Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
Rideass OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi03
Wait. You didn't tell us how the "coffee" was....

Ryan
Well, you know about fractals?
Let's leave it at that.
Rideass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Rideass OP
Adventurer

*** Sunday ****

We had be out of the room at noon, so we slept as long as we could and tried to eat as much as we could for the long trip ahead.
I could not get much down, being so hungry from the day before and only having drank a couple of beers.

Neither of us was really looking forward to the long way home, since we just arrived the day before. Our asses were still hurting, my head was aching and I think my friends knees had taken some damage from the riding.

Getting out of town seemed harder than getting in, and we drove around quite unorganized for a while before finding a bus stop with a map.
At the same time an elderly couple approached and offered their help.
They asked where we were from, and helped us on our way.

These smalls occations, that only last maybe a minute or two - lasts a long time in my mind. Don't know why.

On our way up north out of Amsterdam, we start taking pictures once again...

Cigarettes, a great substitute for food, rest and health. Goes great with bikes.

Stopped for a moment to check out these guys playing around. Wish we had time and money for that then.

We did take a different route home apparently, and the wind on this piece of road was horrible. Must have used up almost the double in fuel consumption on this 100km strech of road.

But, it was beautiful nonetheless. E22, over the flood banks. First we were a bit confused and thought we had accidentially ridden south, since we could only see ocean to the right.

We rode on, stopping only for fuel and some rest when our asses could not take the beating anymore for a while. Not many pictures for a while since there just wasn't any energy left in us.

Riding into Germany it felt as we were going home at last, but after passing a sign with a gas station and deciding to go for it, it never appeared. Either the Germans were kidding or our brains shut off for a moment there. And then, of course - since we had not refueled - the Triumph stopped after going for over 200 km.. Out of fuel, 10 km from Oldenburg.

I'm borrowing Obama for this one;

But, strangely enough, I was neither upset or stressed about it.
I just told my friend to relax while I continue to town and look for fuel.

And sure enough, with some luck, 20 minutes or something later I had a bottle of fuel with me, and we could continue.

It's somewhere here the idea pops into my mind - lets drive nonstop home! Little did I know that we were forced into that situation anyhow.
Soon after we realized we cannot afford to sleep on a hotel for the night.

Just fast forwarding past a lot of milage and ass ache - we found ourselvs at Puttgarden again, ready for the ferry back to Denmark.

Some Danish gas station, in the middle of the night..

Taking a piss on Denmark, yet again.

** Monday ***

The clock had reached midnight by now, and we had been riding for 12 hours straight. Well into Denmark, we were getting worried that our money had ran out again cause the the pumps at a gas station did not accept either our cards. Some 140 km later, we were at the toll station on the Öresundsbridge wanting access into Sweden.
My card was not accepted, but the girl in the booth said it may be because of too many transactions abroad. So we tried my friends card, and it passed. Thankfully!

But then we needed an ATM to figure out what the hell happened to a couple hundred euros. We knew for a fact that my friends card had nothing or very little left on it, so we decided to fill up the Triumph with as much as was possible.

Now, both bikes had 200 km in them left.
And yes, of course. The time, had become maybe 0200 AM.

We are out of money, its monday morning. We have nothing to eat or drink, and we both have 200 km left in our tanks.

Too bad it was at least 400 km to get home!
Stubborn as we were, we decided to get as far as possible and since it was night time it had gotten really cold outside. We took turns riding the GS since it has its heated grips, which the triumph does not.

Somewhat hungover from last night, too little too sleep, eat and drink - the cold really got to us. Snailing forward at 80 kph again, constantly watching the fuel efficency meter and range.

Stopped at a bridge, since we thought "what's the hurry to get home".
We're hungry, freezing and broke. Both of us. And not enough fuel.

The sun was just rising again. And that was about time, we had been riding all night freezing our already beaten up asses off.

Making use of the 1/4 of our storage space eating camera for the first time on the trip.

And heres what came out of it.

Another...

Time to warm up before some more suffering.

You ain't going nowhere without a smile of hopelessness.

The morning, turning to day, we crept nearer to home for every minute.
But some 200 km away, we had to admit defeat.

To call someone 5 AM in the morning, asking for money was not what I intended to do for this trip. And I will have to take shit for it a long time forward.

Well, after the money had been solved. We refilled our bikes, and left for home.

Home, finally. The time had passed 9 AM. We had been on the road for 21 hours.

2600 km, over 4 days. We were finished.

Rideass screwed with this post 06-04-2009 at 05:45 PM
Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
Celtic Cruiser
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Nice one Novice Adv! I bet there are so many things you would do differently next time. Like have a plan. Take some money. Maybe a bit more time to enjoy your trip. Avoid so many Motorways. Think about a Zumo if only to put your music on.
But then the best mini-adventures just happen. Enjoy your bike. Enjoy your youth. Ride safe and thanks for the entertainment.
Celtic Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #19
Rideass OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cruiser
Nice one Novice Adv! I bet there are so many things you would do differently next time. Like have a plan. Take some money. Maybe a bit more time to enjoy your trip. Avoid so many Motorways. Think about a Zumo if only to put your music on.
But then the best mini-adventures just happen. Enjoy your bike. Enjoy your youth. Ride safe and thanks for the entertainment.
It was a healthy lesson to have. All those small transactions that you rarely ever even think about amounts to real money fast!
I'm definitly not taking any big roads next time.
Long periods of time passed without ever moving on the bike, reminded me of a film quote "Travelling without moving". And yeah, Garmin is getting another customer soon. (Broke at the moment)

Thanks for reading, I hope others liked it as well.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 282
Great story and pictures ! Thanks for sharing the trip !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #21
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Good trip man, but as you said, lessons to be learned. Maybe next time pack some emergency food, you have lots of space on that GS, I should know, I own one too. I can live for a month on what I can fit in my side cases, so you can too! :) That leaves room for food on top, no problem.

Can you camp there? That will significantly reduce your expenditures. That or using hostels, which I would do there in northern Europe.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #22
Rideass OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
Good trip man, but as you said, lessons to be learned. Maybe next time pack some emergency food, you have lots of space on that GS, I should know, I own one too. I can live for a month on what I can fit in my side cases, so you can too! :) That leaves room for food on top, no problem.

Can you camp there? That will significantly reduce your expenditures. That or using hostels, which I would do there in northern Europe.
Thanks, and i'm glad you liked it! We had packed down some meal replacement bars, but we had eaten all of them by the time we got to Lübeck the first time.
Retarded as I am, I lost my wallet the week before. Assuming it would turn up I didn't report my other cards missing before going on this trip. That would also have made things easier since I could have used those for food and fuel.

About camping, I don't know what rules apply in other countries than Sweden, but i'll have that checked out before leaving on my next one.

I could have packed everything much better, thats for sure, could have put things ontop of the bike also. I'm going on a 5 week trip later this year, and we're bringing tents and everything for that one. And a GPS!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #23
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 473
Thumb

At least you guys were in Amsterdam and had some fun! Really enjoyed your report! Sure that this "recon trip" gave valuble lessons prior to your 5 weeks grand tour of Europe

/ a swedish compatriot
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #24
BigChris
Seasick and Loving It

Oddometer: 254
I suspect that your memories of this ride will provide you with more enjoyment over the coming years than some of the perfectly planned ones.

"Oops, I did it again!" B.Spears
BigChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #25
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris
I suspect that your memories of this ride will provide you with more enjoyment over the coming years than some of the perfectly planned ones.
Yeah, You have a point there. I know for sure, just to ask myself...
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Loved reading this report, what I would have given to be there. Seriously, I'd love to have my bike over there - trying to figure that out for a possible trip starting next Spring/Summer. Wanted to ask what kind of helmet is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideass View Post
*** Sunday ****

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
Rideass OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Loved reading this report, what I would have given to be there. Seriously, I'd love to have my bike over there - trying to figure that out for a possible trip starting next Spring/Summer. Wanted to ask what kind of helmet is that?
Thanks for reading, completely missed your input there. Haven't been here much until recently. Been bikeless for a year.

The helmet I am wearing in that picture is a Shoei Hornet DS, matt black. Not 100% happy with it because it puts pressure on the ears which makes any earplugs intensely uncomfortable after a short while.

Might be my enormous head that is to blame though, or that I simply got a size too small.
Using it now again for the new bike, but music is out of the question... Feels like the in ear plugs are humping my skull after a while..

Poor planning, soar ass and out of money...
Weekend trip to Amsterdam '09

Each step moves us on, here we go.
Onward, forward - still miles to go.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideass View Post
Thanks for reading, completely missed your input there. Haven't been here much until recently. Been bikeless for a year.
Sorry about posting in a dead thread, but I saw you posting somewhere else, so I figured I'd get an answer sooner or later. No bike eh? Sorry to hear - any plans to get one?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
nice
Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
deaninkl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Well sometimes its good to get threads active again cos I read it today for the first time and loved it greta story, and funny.