Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #571
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,277
Great RR and pics. Thanks! Mexico is an exciting place to ride.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #572
tjclyde
iPad Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Just found this thread last week and have been reading every night since then.
All I can say is WOW!
Looking forward to hearing more. Ride safe.
Tj.
tjclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #573
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 938
Thumb

Love the new photos, looks like so much fun. Picking up my GSA next week, hope to have half the fun on it as you guys are.
Bobby Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #574
Rhetorik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wow you both are living the dream. I'm sure you've already said ths but what kind of camera gear do you have and how doy you have it all secured on your bike? The pictures are incredible! Do you have prior photograph experience?

Great journey and I'm looking forward to more updates!
Rhetorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #575
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,449
love your food pics
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #576
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 575
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/55.html

La Paz is the jewel of Baja California Sur. Located at the mouth of the Gulf of California, it enjoys beautiful weather year-round, a high standard of living and low crime rates. We fell in love with the city almost immediately.

The Malecon, a 5km long boardwalk along the La Paz's beachfront, is the city's focal point for tourists and residents alike

Family-time on the Malecon

We grab lunch at La Aura, the 4th story restaurant with a great view of the boardwalk and beach

Lots of local catch in that seafood soup!

Pelicans are common here, also attracted to the seafood in the waters closeby

Not seafood ice cream

Plenty of places to hang out on the beach, watch the fishing boats go out to sea

One of many aquatic themed statues on the Malecon

Neda is trying to look for what PaperBoatMan is staring at

The Malecon is chocked full of restaurants, diners and bars - all pricey!

We're staying in La Paz for the next two weeks, taking Spanish lessons at a language school called, "Se Habla... La Paz". We've also chosen the homestay option, where we live with a local family for the duration of our stay, so Alicia and Vicente are the first ones to welcome us to La Paz and into their home.

The very first night, Vicente pulls out his arsenal of guitars and we both play and sing while everyone dances around us. Is it going to be like this every day?!? COOL!

Alicia is a first-rate cook, serving us local dishes for breakfast and lunch. This is Joe (Jose) from California, he's our homestay housemate also taking Spanish lessons, but he's much more fluent than we are!

On the weekends, Vicente opens his backyard studio to the local kids and teaches them how to paint

Another one of Vicente's proteges

We are astounded at how talented and cultured our homestay family is. Alicia is master of the culinary arts, while Vicente explains all the imagery of the many paintings that decorate his house. All in Spanish, by the way. My 9th grade French education is only of little help but I get the jist. Neda does much better because she speaks Italian and is so much better in learning new languages than I am.

Lalo, Alicia and Vicente's grandson teaches and choreographs a Hip Hop class.

Because I'm so slow with the Espagnol, Lalo gets in trouble often for speaking English to me. I've hung out a lot with this talented young man, jamming on the guitar and sharing mp3s, movies, and YouTube clips. Every once in a while, Alicia yells at him, "EN ESPAGNOL!" :) She takes her job very seriously and I'm very glad that she pretends not to understand English. I can only nod, "Si" and "Gracias" and my goal by the end of two weeks is to actually utter a complete and intelligible sentence for her approval!

Mariana, our Spanish teacher gives a presentation on Pinatas.

"Se Habla" is one street away from the Malecon, and every morning we ride our motorcycles down the strip to school, past the salty sea breeze coming off the shores. It's been forever since I've sat in any kind of classroom and I'm a bit cowed by how fast Neda is picking up Spanish. I'm used to learning things very fast, but new languages have always been a weak point for me.

Felipe, another one of our instructors waits for me to finish my homework.
"Gene, the point of homework is that you should be doing it at home..."

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:49 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #577
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetorik View Post
I'm sure you've already said ths but what kind of camera gear do you have and how doy you have it all secured on your bike? Do you have prior photograph experience?
Most of the on-bike shots were taken with the Coolpix AW100 - best ruggedized camera ever! And big buttons so you can use them with gloves. When we're off the bikes, we're using a D3000 primarily, sometimes a D60 and a few of the shots are done with the iPhone. Surprisingly good camera on those iPhones!

We store the cameras in our hardcases when we're not using them. As far as prior photography experience, we've got about 6 years of travel pictures on our blog :), but no formal training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
The Gray whales start arriving middle of Dec to breed and give birth.
Cool! We also saw dolphins right off the Malecon!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #578
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,002
Un otro buen informe. La ciudad es encantadora y sus fotos lleno con la vida de la gente.

Saludos
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #579
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
Sweet. Just remember not to miss Cabo Pulmo. It's as chill as they come for Baja. Todos Santos is another must see town on the pacific.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #580
Rhetorik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Most of the on-bike shots were taken with the Coolpix AW100 - best ruggedized camera ever! And big buttons so you can use them with gloves. When we're off the bikes, we're using a D3000 primarily, sometimes a D60 and a few of the shots are done with the iPhone. Surprisingly good camera on those iPhones!

We store the cameras in our hardcases when we're not using them. As far as prior photography experience, we've got about 6 years of travel pictures on our blog :), but no formal training.
Cool! Thanks for the response. Currently searching for a good camera that will take some punishment (accidents happen, right?) I'm currently looking at a D3100 so your pictures are definitely helping with my decision, and the price isn't going to break the bank!

Looking forward to more!
Rhetorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #581
KamLeeR
Animal Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Hey Neda and Gene!

Looks like its going just Dandy!

Miss ya both!

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #582
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Gezz we will have to get our A into G to catch up with you guys

Loving the pics and reports
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #583
Cloud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
"Take a road less travelled"

"Take a road less travelled" ha?
I like this Canadian film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wN4...yer_embedded#!

I follow you!
Good RR, good idea! Have a nice trip.

Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #584
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
my friends from Sayulita had problems with their TVIP in La Paz however and were told to go back to the border and get it.

I had a friend come visit from Colorado and he rode baja and needed a TVIP too (but not FMM). he said the ordeal to get a TVIP at the ferry was a major pain in the ass and 1 day had to sit next to his bike for 4 hrs waiting for something to happen. took him 3 days to finalize the paperwork plus a fine (bride?) on top of the normal price.

read stories of others having the same issues/problems w/ TVIP at the baja ferry
So here are the gory details on obtaining a TVIP at La Paz: there aren't any. It was dead simple and quite an enjoyable experience.

While you can buy ferry tickets to Mazatlan right in La Paz, they will not sell it to you unless you have a TVIP. The only place you can get your TVIP is at the ferry docks in Pichilingue, about 20 minutes away from La Paz. Or a very nice 15 minute ride... . So, after hearing all the horror stories about getting a TVIP, we rode out one afternoon just to get it done and over with.

There's a Banjercito building right at the dock, staffed by two very friendly girls who spoke perfect English. We had done our research and made photocopies of our passports, the vehicle registrations, our drivers licenses, and the visitor permits that we got at the border in Tijuana. The pre-work was unnecessary, since they have photocopiers right there in the office. There was no one else in line, since we came when there wasn't a ferry scheduled to depart, so they attended to us immediately, one girl doing each of our TVIPs. Mine was done in less than 5 minutes.

TVIP, can't get into Mexico without it. Don't leave Mexico with it.

The only complication (which wasn't their fault) was that all the names on the photocopied documents have to match. Unfortunately, Neda's bike is registered under my name. We needed to produce a marriage certificate to show that Neda wasn't importing someone else's motorcycle and that it belonged to the family. That took a bit of time on my part because of how paranoid I am about protecting our documents online, since I didn't have my laptop with me and had to use their computer, which they were really nice about.

The cost is about $50 USD per TVIP, and the bond that you have to put up can be paid by credit card. Since my bike is older, the bond is $300 (model years 2001-2006), but Neda's 2012 GS was $400. The bond for pre-2001 models is $200. They gave us a list of all the addresses of the Banjercito offices at the border exiting Mexico and told us to return the TVIP to get our bond back, which means cancelling the charge on the credit card. If you don't do this, you'll lose your deposit and have troubles getting your vehicle back into Mexico ever again. The TVIP is good for 6 months.

It was a very painless and pleasant experience! I'd recommend going at a time when there isn't a ferry set to depart, that way you'll be guaranteed that there'll be no lineup. It's so close to La Paz, and it's a beautiful ride there and back and you can hit the beaches at Pichilingue and make an afternoon out of it.

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:49 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #585
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,002
Thanks for the update Gene, good info on the TVIP in La Paz. It went smoothly because you did it correctly and got your visa when you entered Mexico; you are in the country legally. The problem some folks have had is that they failed to get a visa when they entered Mexico and they had to run around trying to find a migracion office when they could get one. It is usually easy if you follow the procedures. Vehicle "free zone" means no TVIP required, it doesn't mean no visa.

Cómo es su español?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote