Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #751
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
1st 2 weeks of Sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Frank. What do you think of choosing the GSA, I'm probably riding solo for this trip. I did your New England ride 2 seasons ago (only to the end of Maine),and had no problems with the GSA on that. What's your thoughts?
I'm rereading this thread right now,and remember your picture of the gas milage taped onto your fairing,do you list this info some where on the thread-if not can I obtain that? I'm sending $ to Tony this week for the tracks-maybe he lists all that info? Thanks Keith
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #752
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,003
Well that's a good measure. Comparable but only you can answer on how comfortable you are solo on the Beemer to be honest Keith.
Here is that fuel list. I still had it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #753
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,309
Hey Lefty, I 'll go with you. I might as well start pissing off the East Coast, lord knows I got the Midwest covered.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #754
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Lefty, we did this this year in September. It is an easy ride and the only places that you'll have watch out for are the sandy two tracks along the Oregon Trail section in Wyoming, and the long down hill after Echo Park. There is the odd rough forest service road, but none of this is difficult if you just take it slow and easy. Almost all of the trip is fast and smooth dirt, gravel or pavement. Mostly pavement and gravel. As for solo, you'll be all alone in some remote spots, so be prepared!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #755
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
What Ken said!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #756
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Thanks for the input guys. I've ridden my GS on some challenging stuff solo,but usually on my home turf so to speak. Just wanted to be sure there weren't any major hidden surprises,other wise I might opt to take the WR250R if I go at it alone.
I'm going to ride the tat solo this summer,R.I. to OR,so I'm actually starting to research this Forever West trip for the following summer. My job requires me to pick my vacations a year in advance,that's why it's hard for me to find people to ride with. What are you doing in two years Bigborefan?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #757
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Lefty, we did this this year in September. It is an easy ride and the only places that you'll have watch out for are the sandy two tracks along the Oregon Trail section in Wyoming, and the long down hill after Echo Park. There is the odd rough forest service road, but none of this is difficult if you just take it slow and easy. Almost all of the trip is fast and smooth dirt, gravel or pavement. Mostly pavement and gravel. As for solo, you'll be all alone in some remote spots, so be prepared!
Hey Blaisew, what were the dates you did it in Sept? What were the temps you rode in,and temps at night if you camped. Also,if I rode it 2 up with my wife, when I reach those tricky sections,is it easy enough to have her walk it while I ride it,or is it too long for her to walk those sections? We've done a little off road riding together and camped in 30F weather,but if that were the norm-it might be too much for her.:
Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #758
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
The descent of Blue Mountain Road was the most challenging stretch of the trip. By the time we reached the bottom the stock suspension on my KLR was not working. The fluids had pretty much given up by then. A bit of a rest at the bottom and everything was fine.

Your decision depends on how much of a challenge you want. The lenght of the road added to the challenge. If it was only a half mile you wouldnt think anything of it. The length combined with the condition makes it a workout.

None of us really had any issues on the road nor did any of us ever feel in danger. Just a fair amount of work over an extended stretch. There were spots that you could stop on the descent to take a break if you elect to use the road.

I am certain you caould make the descent based on your description of your experience.

Traveling by yourself, and being a bit cautious, the paved alternate is a wise choice. Some nice scnery on the descent, but you will have seen simlar scenery on other parts of the route.

For us the satisfaction of getting to the bottom was a large part of the fun!

My final advise would be to check in with yourself at the point where you must make the choice for the paved alternate. We do this all the time. If we are feeling tired, or we're running late, or someone is sick, or......, we discuss and take an alternate if we decide it is best. Occasionally the group even splits up, or one rider will take an alternate. Plan the trip with the alternate and waypoint the decision point. When you get there, get off the bike, make an honest evaluation of your condition, the road and weather conditions, time of day, etc. and make your decision.

John boy
Jonh, how long is that decent-distance wise?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #759
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Video of decent from Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0RC...QC3x-A&index=1

Video of it here from 2011.
Did it with a KTM 950 Adventure fully loaaded with camping gear.

Mike Z
zeegman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #760
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
How long is the descent

Lefty

If you check in with Byways Huegel I'm sure he can give you some details of the length of the section. My best recollection is it took us 20 minutes or so to make the descent.

If you elect to do it and your wife is in shape and doesnt mind walking down the stair step rocks you could certainly do it I would guess it will take her 2-3X as long to get to the bottom.

Again check with Tony Huegel for details.

Good luck!

The route is the ride of a lifetime. you will have no regrets.

JB

Quote:
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #761
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0RC...QC3x-A&index=1

Video of it here from 2011.
Did it with a KTM 950 Adventure fully loaaded with camping gear.

Mike Z
So was that considered one of the trickier sections? I realize pics & videos never do the steepness justice, but that looked dooable 2 up. The bottom with the few soft talc sections looked hard 2 up,but still worth going for. Do you have any other videos of the tough sections-like the parting of the ways in OR? Thanks for the video.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #762
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Video

Quote:
So was that considered one of the trickier sections? I realize pics & videos never do the steepness justice, but that looked dooable 2 up. The bottom with the few soft talc sections looked hard 2 up,but still worth going for. Do you have any other videos of the tough sections-like the parting of the ways in OR? Thanks for the video.
The downhill was definitely rougher, and looser than it looked in the video but I would say the key is to make sure you have really good brakes - 20 minutes of constant downhill - and don't get the speed up especially with a heavy bike and load. My friend Jeremy, in the video on the black 990 Adventure with aluminum paniers passed me on the downhill and actually overshot a corner and went right off the road because he was going too fast.

The silt at the bottom was also tricky because of the depth of sand but also because there was hard packed ruts underneath. Slow and steady was the key there.

I do not have video from the Parting of the Ways area but there was some sand - not that deep except for one corner that had a quick sharp right turn right before the Parting of the Ways spot - its was like dropping into a deep sand pit - twisted me around pretty good but I did not loose it. That was about the only spot I would watch out for.

Mike Z
zeegman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #763
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
How tough is it?

This downhill was definitely the toughest section of the route IMO. As I said originally it wasn't so much that it is difficult as the length, how hard the suspension and brakes are working. My rear shock completely stopped working about 5 minutes from the end of the section.
Consider this if you will do it 2 up. I can't imagine the workout the suspension would get two-up. And I think you will get a work out as well. The videos never do these things justice.

Parting of the Ways is not difficult at all.
Some sections of the Trans Continental Railroad could be considered a bit tricky at speed as they can be loose gravel and the bike will be squirming around underneath you. I've never done anything like this 2 up so I cant comment. Riding solo it's no problem at speed so long as you are comfortable with the bike feeling like it's squirming around. (Squirming.... it's the best description I have and it's very accurate)

JB
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #764
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
This downhill was definitely the toughest section of the route IMO. As I said originally it wasn't so much that it is difficult as the length, how hard the suspension and brakes are working. My rear shock completely stopped working about 5 minutes from the end of the section.

JB
Note : a KLR shock.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #765
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
we did the big downhill section riding 2 up with 50 pounds of gear and didn't have trouble. the big downhill was the most rewarding part of our trip.

if you were worried you could put the bike in first gear... stop and turn it off and coast down using your clutch as a rear brake and the front brake as needed. I didn't need to do this but its an option.
I'm interested in possibly doing this 2 up with my wife,I pm'd you with some questions. What were the dates you did the trip,and what were the temps? Just got Tony's tracks tonight-now the dreaming begins